Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had 3 fills but struggling!

<HR style="COLOR: #d9d9d9; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #d9d9d9" SIZE=1>

Hi everyone!!

I've had 3 fills now....the last one 2 weeks ago.

I lose well for a few days and I have good restriction but i always seem to overeat on stuff that goes in easy.

chocolate, cakes, biscuits, icecream etc and I just can't seem to stop myself.

Eating good healthy food isn't a pleasurable experience at all. Yes it goes in if I chew well and go really slow but the pleasure i get from food is in the bad stuff.

I don't know how to stop myself.

I've lost 28lb but know I could have lost more if I'd been good throughout.

Wondering now if I've wasted my money on the band and should have gone for the bypass....would only have been a couple of thousand more...

HELP!!!

Amanda

xx

Hello! I was having the EXACT same problem. Albeit, doughy breads, etc. would get stuck. My problem was I couldn't JUST SAY NO to the sweets and 'slider foods' like mashed potatoes, etc. My blood sugar levels were going crazy and if I ate 1 miniature candy bar, I had to have a hundred more to feel satisfied.

In order to get my blood sugar regulated and reduce the cravings, as of Monday I have banned all forms of sugar from my diet (for now). This is so I can get it out of my system and sort of detoxify. I have also reduced my carb intake to about 20 grams per day. Right now I am living off grilled chicken, salmon, tuna, cottage cheese, cucumbers, salads with olive oil & vinegar dressings, Decaf tea, 1/2 cup steaming hot coffee per day (yum) and in the a.m.'s I do a Protein shake because my band is too tight. This has helped me greatly. But, we're all different. You just have to experiment while you're finding good restriction. Good luck and I hope you get that appetite under control. It will help a lot!

ajpink - if you had the bypass, you could still eat the "bad" foods that you mention that go down easy, except you would be "dumping" afterwards. Nasty thought, huh?! (I have a friend that had bypass).

Fill up on healthy, good tasting foods! (Add a little bit gravy of gravy or sauce to your meat to help it go down since you're chewing well)

I say, you did the right thing getting the band. This is a lifetime fix, not just a quick fix! Best of luck!

I swear it seems like I just wrote this!!! I have my 3rd fill next week and I am hoping the restriction is better. I can also eat chocolate, ice cream and chips without any problems but give me a piece of chicken and maybe 2 bites and I cannot eat anymore?? I am going to talk to the nutritionist at my next appt. and I am glad that I am not the only person who this is happening to!!

I am having the same issue. I just hit 30lbs lost and I can't seem to move that needle anymore. It seems like the fat girl in me has come back. I find myself snacking on all kinds of crap! But when I try to eat healthy with chicken, salad, or tuna it gets stuck. I chew and chew and chew and it's like "damn, I need some water" to help it go down. It just seems so dry. I have even had to have some Fluid removed. I have 6.2 in a 10cc band.

I know that I need to work out more often, to help facilitate the weight loss, but I need some help.

Advice Please!!!:thumbup:

Look guys the band no matter how tight you get will stop you from eating cakes,cookies,Ice cream or chips.These foods are just very band friendly and go down easy.Now that said you are better off eating that chicken that fills you up in two bites,if its to dry add a little mayo or feta cheese to help soften it,eat veggies and cheese,yes they fill you up fast and you must chew slow and wait between bites.You will never be so tight you can not eat those bad foods it is up to you to make good food choices.If you can not stay away from those foods it is not a fill you need its counseling.Please I am not trying to be mean I just want you to know the band will not take the place of will power and good food choices.Only you can make the choice not to eat sweets.

Well after three months of being banded I have finally learned to eat with this thing and I'll share my thoughts because I have learned the hard way. Do not eat dry foods........no matter how much you chew it will get stuck. Make sure you don't get too hungry between meals because you will not only eat too fast but take too big of bites. A good trick for some "fast food" is baby food. I keep a few jars of Gerber's chicken, or turkey in my purse all the time and I'm good for 4-5 hours.

When I said I learned the hard way believe me I did. I would eat, something would get stuck and I would have to struggle to get it all up. Also, another trick if something gets stuck is to take a glass of very hot Water, take a sip and what is stuck comes out much easier. The hot Water relaxes the food tube.

I have the same problem with the good food and it's not that a couple of bites fills me up it's that it HURTS!! it is so hard to look at certain foods and just know that they are going to cause pain. other than the Protein Shake my diet consists of yogurt-ff/sf pudding and rice cakes not much else will consistently go down except the junk food, I really don't even worry about it much anymore I'm not losing fast but I am losing and I always try to keep in mind that I had these issues before the surgery and they are not going to go away overnight it took a lifetime to pick up these habits and without the WLS I wouldn't even be close to addressing these problems. I don't know if what I'm saying is making much sense I don't mean to ramble I just thought I share my point of view.

Hello! You are not alone. I had exactly the same problem. I ended up banning the foods that were causing me problems from my house in the end - I was just too weak and I couldn't resist it if it was in my cupboards, also the main reason I ate these food is because it went down easily.

You have to find a balance - I now make sure I have foods that take me forever to eat because they require proper chewing - these foods fill me up and when I think of the effort of eating it helps to stop me from over eating.

I do allow myself some foods like cheese and ice cream but only when I'm really craving it.

Also in my case I was taking the contraceptive pill and I found that I would turn me into a nut case over food so I've now stopped taking it and I feel like I have better control.

It's taken me about 6 months to adjust to this new way of life so don't beat yourself up! I still find myself throwing away perfectly good food because I've had a moment of weakness and filled my fridge with the wrong food.

It all takes time. Since I had the op nearly a year ago I've managed to keep the scales going downwards (sometimes very slowly but still down) so I'm happy.

Good Morning!!

Been a while since I've been here but I think I've cracked it at last!!

Weightloss isn't brilliant still but that probably cos I keep having nights out in the pub!!

I also visited Boston Mass a couple of weekends ago......a perfect weekend with some perfect friends!!

food is less and less of an issue these day....I just eat what I need/can and rarely bother with the choc etc

And the less you have it the less you need it....I get my fix from a low cal choc drink now.

I think after all this time I'm in control

Amanda

That is great. I can only hope that I can crack this thing soon myself. I don't have good restriction yet, so I am not worrying too much, yet. Keep up the good work.

Since my surgery a year ago I've lost about 60 lbs.- not alot compared to some. I've also noticed that I lost weight differently now than in the past. I used to see a steady weight lose but now it seems as though all of a sudden anywhere from 5-8 lbs. just come off. Is it my body changing with menopause- I'm 48- or perhaps the band creates a different type of weight lose. One thing though that makes a HUGE difference is mixing up exercise. As soon as my body adjusts to a routine I stop and go to something different it's not always easy but it does seem to make a difference. Has anyone else noticed that the weight comes off differently since their surgery?