Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Subway - rude servers

Thank you to all who came to my defense. The whole point of my post seemed to get lost in whether or not I should have asked for an adjusted price, or expected special treatment and/or blamed Subway because I had WLS, or whether or not I should have even gone to Subway, etc. Really, my main intention was to warn others to be careful when they ask for a special order and to spread the word about the poor service I got. I do not blame all Subways or all servers at Subway for this one incident. Just to clarify, I was nice to the young man and was willing to drop the whole thing until he was so horribly rude to me, then made the 'disgusting' remark. Come on...we do NOT have to take this and I do not have to get over it. If you don't stand up for yourself, who will? We have to be advocates for ourselves. If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything. For those who didn't quite get the gist of my post, please read the title. For the last month or so I've been reading this forum, I'm finding it lacks the whole support atmosphere I had expected. If we wanted to be preached at, we would talk to our surgeons and/or fill doctors. However, for the most part, there are very knowledgable and decent people who post here who have plenty of sound advice to give. For that I am very appreciative. Thank you all and have a good night. No hard feelings please. We're all people at the other end of these modems and we're fighting the same battle. CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG?:biggrin:

LOL. I wasnt trying to be rude in anyway but everytime I read posts about ppl looking for support or even when I make posts looking for support its always get over it....thats not what ppl on here need or want to hear. Its almost like whats the point...Thats all.

*Somehow I posted b4 I read your post desertrose. I hope you feel better. I def hate it when ppl act so rudely.

OK, with regards to the OP, I am sorry you were treated rudely by the server at Subway. The comments were uncalled for and I would have been upset by them as well.

With that being said, I would never have asked for a reduction in price. Most restaurants, especially fast food restaurants, do have fixed prices. I am confident that the standard server/cashier in these places do not have the authority to authorize changes in the price in order to accommodate people's special requests. When I eat out, be it "fast food" or a nicer eating establishment, I understand they have fixed prices, etc. I understand they cannot meet everyone's special needs and would go crazy trying to do so. Therefore, I order what I want to eat. What I don't eat, I simply box up and my dh takes it for lunch the next day.

Lastly, in terms of this being a support forum, I believe LBT is a great support forum. However, sometimes people forget support comes in many different ways. When looking for support, don't always expect it to come in the form of people automatically agreeing with you or validating what you are doing. Sometimes, the behavior one may be exhibiting is detrimental to their band and in order to offer proper support, many of us are going to tell you just that. I am not one to ever validate someone who is asking permission to cheat or whatever. If it is wrong, I am going to tell them. However, I will attempt to do so in a polite and respectful manner.

So my family and I were at Subway today and I asked if I could have tuna salad with no bread. The young !$#@ was insisting on charging me for the full price of a 6" sub, for one dallop of tuna salad. I informed him that I had surgery and could not hold much and prefer not to pay full price for a sandwich when I would be throwing away the bread. He snaps back at me "we are not lapband friendly". My DH insisted on walking out. As we were leaving, the server said to his friend "that's disgusting". We called their corporate office and were informed that it wasn't their problem! What is with that? Has anyone else had this problem? I was mortified. However, I chose not to allow others' ingnorance get me down. I will keep on keeping on. :thumbup:

I am very sensitive about my decision to get a lap band, and as a result very few people in my life know. I would never bring it up in public to get a reduced price on a meal. That's just begging for attention that I do not want.

I'm perfectly willing to pay for whatever a restaurant has to offer me. I do not feel that I should receive special treatment; I will not make myself out to be a victim. There are many people out there that can't eat a full meal or sandwich or whatever it may be. They still have to pay for their whole meal, why shouldn't I?

Agreed - I don't want special treatment. I would be tickled that I can't eat a full meal and happily box it up and take it home for leftovers!!

What was wrong with ordering the tuna salad sandwich and then just opening it up and eating the fixings without the bread? They sell a fixed item for a fixed price, it's not their problem that you can't eat part of their fixed item. Just because you "prefer not to pay for it" doesn't mean they don't have a right to charge their fixed price. Demanding special treatment and then getting upset because you didn't get it is a good way to end up angry at the world.

I anticipate this being the situation almost every time I go out to eat. I would be hard-pressed to find an entire meal that is "band friendly" at every restuarant I go to. Solution? Don't eat out. Then you don't have to be embarrassed.

First, I'm sorry that you had to be part of scene like that. I know that I would have been embarrassed. But, that said...I have gotten a subway sandwhich and took the toppings off the bread. Their 6 inch subs are only 2.50 or something like that. I don't think it could get much cheaper. I choose not to single myself out when eating out. It's not the restaurant's fault I chose to alter my stomach. They make sub sandwiches. That's off limits to us. If you must go to Subway then get it in a wrap or a salad.
A restaurant choosing not to offer special orders is their choice. Rudeness like that from an employee is way out of line, asking shouldn't be a problem. I'm sorry you had to go through that.

I do feel bad that you were treated so terribly by the Subway employees - that just wasn't right, and I would certainly bring it up with their manager. However, as I pointed out before, bringing up my lap band in a public place in order to receive a discounted price for food is just way too much attention, and I'd rather spend a few extra dollars and take home half my meal - that way I stay under the radar.

Subways are a franchise so I would contact the owner and tell him about his rude employee.

The corporate office probably can't do much about the specific people employed at the franchises...

However, as for the meal- they do have their set prices, so I guess I can understand where he was coming from. I just order and pick at my food. I figure that in general my food costs are SO much lower now, since I rarely eat out I really should just get the regular priced item or a children's item and be done with it. I generally order appetizers.

Don't stress about it. You are paying for the bread, its up to you what you do with it. Either just leave it or throw it at him. Actually, I'd make a point of going back there, ordering the meal and eating the inside, then throwing the bread at him and saying 'Now, that's disgusting'. Then walking out. But I guess that would be childish.

I just read your other post and I am first of all sorry someone was rude to you. That of course is uncalled for or any comments on weight from some kid behind the counter. I dont blame you for contacting over his head.

Iv also been mystified by the comments that we cant eat subways. I can still eat bread and had 1/4 of a subway today, my family shares a footlong 4 ways. They are small eaters, and too skinny so its np for me. Thats not saying its how everyone wants to eat, Im sorry you didnt get what you wanted. But why cant we have bread if we can eat it?

Im being good about Desserts and junk food, cant skip everything good. Im not racing to the finish line I guess as fast as some others. I also went on a week long cruise a few weeks back and ate pizza and was proud I didnt gain anything.

Edited by flowers

Sorry you had a bad experience. Try Panera's. I asked for tuna by itself and it was only about 1.50. Also I went to Cc's pizza with my son and asked the manager for a kid meal because of the band and he was so nice. I was proud that I only ate a kid portion too. I havn't had my first fill yet so it was tempting to say the least to eat more but I wanted to be honest.:)

I also used my card at another restaurant and got a child meal and only ate half and took half home. I think it is good to educate servers. I think it is all in the way you ask.

It is a shame the employee was so rude about the situation . . . I would only fault subway for their lack of response when you called corporate and poor taste in the hiring of that specific employee. Unfortunately, there are occasionally going to be rude people in any fast food chain given that they don't pay enough to keep high caliber customer service people employed for very long.

A support forum has a lot of different people with different ideas and different responses to topics. It wouldn't be useful if we all had the same answer to every question . . . if that were so why would we even need a forum, we could all answer our own questions if we didnt need to hear different opinions.

I am dissapointed when people are so easily offended and threads veer off into different camps. I really feel that Lapbandtalk is an excellent forum, much better than most, and the responses are overwhelmingly positive the majority of the time. We should all be a little tolerant of different opinions with out feeling as if they are personal attacks.

I agree with Heather. This is a forum which in it's definition is a place to discuss questions and ideas. It's incredibly frustrating to take your time answering a post to only have the thread-starter complain about your answer.

my subway will make your meal what ever way it takes for them to make a sale and as for the salad they will make you any kind of a salad too> I never had a problem. I but the chicken and have them put a little bit of the sween onion on top and I just eat it without the bread.< /p>

I agree with everyone to a point. Subway has their right to not reduce the price but they do not have the right to be rude.

I would just go somewhere else from now and leave Subway for when you are not with your family. My family does that with many restaurants. We go to our choice of restaurants depending on the mix of our family together at that time.

I am sorry he was so rude. So many people in the work force now seem to be that way.

Hang in there and just find someplace a little more friendly. We love Cracker Barrell. They are willing to make just about anyone happy. They also let you order from the kid's menu.