Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Chest Pain- Help!

Hi! I have been reading the threads but cannot find an awswer to what I am experiencing. I starting feeling pain in my chest last night after eating popcorn(!) which i do all the time since it is one of the things that goes down. (banded one year ago) I am now hearing that is a no-no. Well when I woke up this morning after finally falling asleep last night the pain was still there! It is sharp pains in my chest, right between my breasts and has been going on all day. I went to Urgent Care and they ruled out any heart problems then I went to my Lap Band doctor and he took all the Fluid out. The pain went away for a couple of hours but is now back. I am so frustrated. Has anyone been thru this? I have 2 little boys on my own so it is not really an option to go sit in the ER tonight and wait for an Upper GI like my doctor wants. I am thinking the swelling may go down and the pain will stop(?)

you may have had a piece of the kernal scrape in the wall of your esophagus. A few days of warm liquids and soft foods should help. I've had similar problems that felt like that when I've had some major acid reflux problems. It feels like glass went down when you eat. Do you think you may have some esophageal irritation from reflux? Try some Maalox or something for a few days also, and see what kind of results you get from that as well.

I went through this about two weeks ago and they made me spend the night in the hospital to rule out the heart, which is fine. The PA at the hospital thought it might be my esophagus and reflux or a hiatal hernia.

I called my surgeon's office and met with them and they had me get an upper GI. They saw reflux, I'm a year post-op too and I have no fill in my band and it was still happening. They put me on a medicine to help with the acid production. I forgot what it's called but I'm sure your doctor will probably put you on something similar. So far it's gotten better but even with no fill I'm still pretty restricted but because I never lost weight with the band and am now having this issue I'm having it removed soon. Don't worry that doesn't mean you need to, it's my choice. Hope you feel better soon, Nancy.:rolleyes2:

thank you for your response. It feels different from gas or reflux, like I actually thought I was having heart problems. is that normal? I mean not normal but common? it feels very painful for a few seconds then goes away. like I got hit in the chest with a sack of flour.

Puffytwo,

Mine were/are sharp pains that last for a second right in the center of my chest and were coming about every 2 minutes when I was in the hospital. I don't feel pressure. It should be ruled out with an upper GI and if not then, then I suppose they might have to do some other test, maybe an endoscopy or something. I've heard who people complain of hiatal hernias feeling like pressure in the chest. Mine were definitely sharp pains that came and went.

What did your bariatric surgeon tell you it was?

You've ruled out your heart so that's a good thing and hopefully an upper GI will help you figure out what it is. Nancy:smile:

Hi Puffy,

Have you ever had a problem with your gall bladder? Some times that can feel like pressure under your breastbone that radiates and comes and goes (colicky). I have heard others say it scares them that it is their heart. Just a thought. I hope you feel better soon!

A while back I read a post on this site (sorry, I can't remember where) that a lady, who also ate popcorn all the time and I think she was more than a year out from surgery as well, had a similar problem. She found out that some of the kernals actually got stuck in her pouch somehow that didn't go away from an unfill. Now please realize that you are getting this info second hand and I honestly can't remember all the details, but I think you probably should have the upper GI if it doesn't get better. If you are still having pain after a few days you should probably have it checked out. Good luck and keep us posted.

Edited by Bea1128
incorrect info

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Some days I feel like an infiltrator... I'm participating in society as a "thin" person. They have no idea that I haven't always been one of them! 🤣
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches