Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

EMBARRASSED to admit I reverted to old eating habit

Hello,

Starting at 256 lbs, I was banded 2/26/08. I have lost 48 lbs and gained back anolther 11 lbs w/i 7 wks. I slowly reverted to my old way of snacking on carbs and Snacks high in sugar. Ive only had 2 fills which was only a few cc's at a time, and there is no retriction. Im embarrassed when I bump into those that knew I had the surgery because of little diffrence in appearance. Im also too embarrassed to go and get a fill. When my doctor sees the small amount of progress since the month of May I know they'll be dissappointed. I have the desire and the mind to eat healthy and go back to the gym like I previously did -but, when I'm faced with the temptation I get weak and give in. Once I give in I feel so disgusting and guilty. Would you guys forget about what the doctor might say/think when they see the small amount of progress and get a fill OR would you guys just try to loose another 25 lbs on your own and then get filled? Once I see the ongoing progress Ill have enough strength to stay with a healthy lifestyle. Please send me feedback.:smile:

Edited by lmooney1

RUN, don't walk, back to your doctor. Make an appointment for a fill,and between now and then do what you know you are supposed to do. The fill may or may not get you to your "sweet spot", but even if it does, it is still up to you to make up your mind to resist the temptations of carbs and sweets. Accept that your doctor may comment on your lack of progress, and be determined that the NEXT time you go in he will have to comment on your GREAT progress! Ask him for suggestions, get involved with a support group, find something to do when those snack urges hit that will get you through them.

And remember this saying, that has become one of my favorites: Don't give up what you want the MOST, for what you want at the moment.

oh girl! Don't feel bad. Everyone does it. And this is nothing new to your doctor. Get back to your basics. 1. Go get a tight fill. 2. Start eating your Breakfast, lunch, dinner. No snack. 3. Don't drink for an hour after meals. 4. Cut bread, Pasta, rice, and focus on Protein.

Review all your info again, meet with your Dr., dietician, and you'll get focused and back on track. We've all been there. Read below as well, this is a great save when you've been "derailed" .

Another interesting idea from the BE website, this plan is similar to the 5 day pouch test that I posted a few months back... However this is a 3-5 day liquid only diet to get you over those bad habits we all tend to slide back into at times, also can help kick your carb/sugar cravings. It's similar to the way you eat/drink after a fill and we all know how those pesky pounds drop off right after a fill, it's not the fill itself working at that point it's the liquid diet. The only time I am "tight" these days is when I have my period so I usually do something like this on those days and I usually see 1-2lbs lost in those 3 days so maybe something like this would be a way for all of us to reset the bad habits and kick start our weight loss once a month??

The 3 Day LPT does not require special recipes and is only for three days. It does help you get back on track with your eating, AND allows more flexibility with your choices.

Here is the 3 day Liquid Protein plan for those who may be interested:

Many ask, “What does LPT stand for? What is it?” LPT stands for Liquid Protein Train. It is used by people who have gotten off track (or just plain derailed!), need to de-carb themselves (to get rid of that nasty urge to snack or overeat), or to jump start weight loss again. It also helps you to get in touch with how you feel when you do eat or drink (feeling full, stopping when you have the full sensation, etc.) I searched the message board recently and came up with several questions and responses by others... My final conclusion is that there are really no solid or set in stone rules. However, here are some general consistencies when people decide to do the LPT.

Who Should do the 3 Day LPT?

1. If you have gotten off track (or just plain de-railed in your weight loss journey!), then the 3 day LPT is for you.

2. If you find that you are addicted to carbs, are eating junk food, are snacking and grazing, then the 3 day LPT is for you.

3. If you need to jump start your weight loss once again, then the 3 day LPT is for you.

4. For those who have no weight to lose and are not addicted to carbs, this is probably not necessary.

Before You Begin:

1. How many days will I do this program? Normally it’s done for 3 days. You may choose to continue for up to 5 days. Anything over this might be excessive.

2. Will I drink ONLY Protein shakes or will I add a light supper? The choice is entirely up to you. If you are able to get rid of carb cravings by cutting back to eating a light supper (high protein), then you may want to stick with drinking shakes all day but a light supper at night. However, if you are overly addicted to carbs and need a more aggressive approach, the full liquid shake only approach may be the best for you.

Preparation for the Program:

1. Make sure you have plenty of Protein Shakes available – there’s nothing worse than to be in the middle of a program and run out of products! Stock up on high Protein, low carb, low sugar and low calorie protein powders or ready to drinks. Bariatric Eating sells a wide variety of great tasting protein products.

2. Decarb your pantry – get rid of foods that you should not have (crackers, chips, Cookies, high carb sugar free products) as these will be a stumbling block to you. Also, the purpose of the LPT is to get back on track and away from those items that cause you to fail. You don’t want to sabotage your own success by having these tempting products in the house. They do have a tendency to call your name at the most inopportune (usually your weakest) times!

How It's Done:

1. Drink a Protein Shake whenever you feel hunger (whether it be real body hunger or head hunger) – one person said they drink a shake every two hours. I figured that if a person would start at 6 am, drink a shake every two hours, this would allow them to drink up to 8 pm! (Sounds great)

2. Consume a minimum of 800 calories for the day

3. You may drink fluids after consuming protein shakes. The "30 minute wait period" before drinking after food does not apply in this case.

Keep in Mind:

1. Get off sugar products

2. Some people include a few additives in their shakes to help spice them up such as a little Peanut Butter, or sugar free Davinci syrups, or a little bit of fruit (although fruits do have carbs, so it depends on what your preference is). If the additive causes you to crave more, DON'T add it.

3. You may want to include thin Soups with light vegetables, yogurts or custards as they are considered full liquids.

4. It has been suggested that if you are exercising, drink a Protein Shake right before your workout.

Transitioning Back to Normal:

1. If you are doing full liquids for 3 days, on the fourth day you will want to add a light supper. When comfortable, add a light lunch until you are back to your 3 meals a day. The LPT will help you to be more in tune with how food makes you feel. In other words, you will know when you are full on a meal. Stop there, do not overeat. Listen to your body and pouch when it says its full.

2. If you did liquid all day and a light supper at night during the 3 days, then just add your light lunch back into the routine.

I know that at times it's very difficult to eat correctly - but honestly your band should be adjusted so that it "hurts" when you overeat! Thus, I suggest that you contact your doctor and have a fill yesterday. It's been a learning process for me to find the spot that allows me to eat, but that also restricts. I've got 5.5 cc's out of a possible 10 in my band - and it's just recently been working well for me.

My surgery was on 6/24/08 - and my starting weight was 250.6, although my highest weight was 269. I've lost 34 pounds as of this morning.

When you start to get discouraged, remember prior to the surgery and all that it took to have the surgery. Don't give up on yourself, call your Dr. and be upfront about how you're feeling. They want to help!!!!!

Remember you come first!!!!

Thanks so much Misty. I appreciate the encouragement. I will "RUN" and not walk to get a fill and work on my habits in the meantime. Lori, Im in aggreement with your idea, thanks for the jumpstart information. Sharnut- Thanks fo being understanding and helping me realize how much I fought for this opportunity.

Edited by lmooney1

Im also too embarrassed to go and get a fill.

Thats just silly, get your butt back there and get a fill!!! without restriction the band is not a weightloss tool.

my son just had lap band surgery a month ago, today. he is eating large portions of food and now i am concerned that the pouch is not small enough. i told him to think about going for a refill in a couple of months. i can empathize with you, though. i had a roux n y in 2002 and lost a whopping 75 lbs and gained back 17 in the next 3 years. by attending a 12-step program (overeaters anonymous) i lost the 17 lbs and an addl 25 lbs. i am a food addict...especially refined sugars and white flour. i would advise you to go to your doctor and tell him exactly what you've written here. take note cards, if you have to, but you paid (or your insurance paid) for weight loss, so you deserve it!

Hello,

Starting at 256 lbs, I was banded 2/26/08. I have lost 48 lbs and gained back anolther 11 lbs w/i 7 wks. I slowly reverted to my old way of snacking on carbs and Snacks high in sugar. Ive only had 2 fills which was only a few cc's at a time, and there is no retriction. Im embarrassed when I bump into those that knew I had the surgery because of little diffrence in appearance. Im also too embarrassed to go and get a fill. When my doctor sees the small amount of progress since the month of May I know they'll be dissappointed. I have the desire and the mind to eat healthy and go back to the gym like I previously did -but, when I'm faced with the temptation I get weak and give in. Once I give in I feel so disgusting and guilty. Would you guys forget about what the doctor might say/think when they see the small amount of progress and get a fill OR would you guys just try to loose another 25 lbs on your own and then get filled? Once I see the ongoing progress Ill have enough strength to stay with a healthy lifestyle. Please send me feedback.:confused:

Face them, face the guilt, face it all. You need to do what's best for you and running from it only brings you more anxiety. I think if you just went and got it over with you'd be free to move on and do better. Whatever you do, don't use this as an excuse to fail. We're not perfect and we're not going to lose the weight perfectly. We can only do our best and keep trying.

"Im embarrassed when I bump into those that knew I had the surgery because of little diffrence in appearance. Im also too embarrassed to go and get a fill. "

Would you rather have self loathing for going back to who you were?

You can do this, you already have. Just pretend that your are starting the process all over again. Get excited!!!!

We care about you, don't forget to be your own friend.

Your doctor is there to help you with adjustments, and wants you to succeed. No need to fear his disapproval. When he gets you back on track his stats look better too! Go get your fill and talk to him or your dietician about finding some healthier Snacks. Don't give up, you deserve to be healthy so don't let fears of what others think stop you from doing what you know you need. Good luck and keep coming back here for all the support you need.

Hi IM Lori, My daughter had her lap band placed almost three years ago. She was doing so well lost over 100 #. She recently lost her job and is now depressed, and concerned of her future. She has put back on appx. 50# if not more of her weight. It is all due to the stress she is experiencing, I know she has reverted back to food for comfort. With no insurance she is unable to go back for a fill, which the last was done appx. 6 mths or more ago. I fear she has stretched her pouch, can this shrink back, or is the lap band forever un-usable? Would a fill help at this point? She feels little restriction. I have tried to encourage her to go back to the small meals, she tries for a few days, but I feel that her stress levels cause her to go back to old ways in a few days.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Would this 5 day diet you posted help her at this point, with or without a fill? Thanks

Justamom55