Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where do soups stand in the Lap Band food plan?

I was banded on Sept. 4, 2008. I'm a little confused about whether Soups are a good thing, a not so good thing or just neutral for those of us with lap bands. And I'm thinking about once we are past the mushies stage.

I'm so used to Soups being a great thing on every diet I have tried in the past 30 years so I think they would help with weight loss with the lap band also. But then we're told no beverages with meals because the liquid will flush the food through our stoma too quickly and we won't feel sated as quickly or for as long.

So a chicken noodle Soup, for example, is bad because there is broth but is good because there is Protein and vegetables. That's what confuses me.

Should we not choose soups because then we are not 'working the band' to its highest potential?

Thanks, Marie715

According to my surgeon, Soup is evil!! LOL!! Reasons are that you can eat more, they're usually loaded with fat and calories and they go right through the band.

Now, what "I" do is find Soups that are high in Protein, preferably low in fat and/or sodium and I measure my portion. I don't always worry too much about the calories and fat but it really depends on the soup. I'm also not eating an entire CAN like I did pre-surgery!

I do have to go slow with soup, if I eat too fast, I get REALLY full and it's uncomfortable. I just don't tell my surgeon that I eat soup!! Bean/lentil soups are great b/c of the Protein and if you need to, you can blend it and it's nice and thick and hearty!

Soups are wonderful - but again, it depends on the type of Soup. For example, I make a very hearty lentil soup - tons of Protein, lots of veg, very little fat. But a cream-based thin soup would not be the best choice. Chunky, thick, protein based soups are great.

My surgeon encourages hearty bean soups!!! I LOVE black bean Soup with slow cooked veggies. I don't know about you others, but a thick bean soup stays with me for a good long while. I also like lamb and lentil stew. The meat is so tender and everything else in the pot is good for you. It stays with me as well. I stay away from my favorite potato soup, but I ALWAYS have organic cream Soups on hand for when I'm tight, sick or just filled. It's the only thing I want then..... I don't have a restriction on soup. Homemade soups can be made low fat and low carb. I prefer homemade anyway. Canned soup is to salty and the salt reduced tastes like crap.