Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

They Scared Me!!

Yesterday I had my last appt. with the dietician and went to see anesthesia since my surgery is scheduled for 9/23. Both of them started out with confirming name, dob, etc. Then they said "you are having the gastric Roux-en-Y done on the 23rd". I corrected them and said I am having the band, not the bypass. This also happened when I had my blood work done. The anesthesiologist just kept going and explained how I would have an NG tube in, etc. I stopped him and told him again I am having the lap band, not the bypass. He looked confused and said he was not sure if they put in an NG tube for that. My concern is that everyone knows what the heck I am getting done! Sure don't want to wake up with a bypass when I want the band. Never discussed the bypass other than to say I am not comfortable doing that with the surgeon at initial consult.

Also, why would I need an NG tube for the band? Do you think I should call my surgeon? More than one person seems confused about the procedure I am having done and it sure ain't me.

I would call your surgeon right away, that is not good that they are confused. what is a NG tube if it's the tube they put in when your out cold to breath, it is done with every operation with General Anesthesia.

My hospital has separate classes and support groups for Lap Band and Gastric Bypass. Make sure your in the right program.

Definitely call and make sure they scheduled it right from the office!!! How scary for you!!!! I would make sure (and they should do this anyway) on your surgery day they verbalize why you are there and for what procedure. Absolutely clear the air.... you do not need to be having this kind of worry hanging over your head!!!!!

Good luck!!!

Geeze, that IS scary!...the ladies above gave good advice.

Good Luck!

I would also go a step further and write on your abdomin with a sharpie "lapband surgery only"

It will be a reminder to the doc, and give a good laugh to the peeps in the OR.

You're right to be scared. I'm a nurse and you would be surprised at the number of wrong surgery/wrong surgery site indicents that occur. You should definitely call your surgeon and confirm and then confirm again what type of surgery you are having. Then on the day of your surgery you want to confirm again before they put you under anesthesia. Nowadays, surgery teams do what is called a time out before they begin surgery to confirm the correct patient, correct procedure, and correct site. It's getting increasingly harder to perfom the wrong surgery with this added precaution but yes, it still happens. So call your surgeon and let him confirm for you as many times as you need to feel comfortable. BTW the NG tube is the tube they place through your nasal passage and down into your stomach to suction the blood and drainage that collects in your stomach to give your "STAPLED" stomach time to heal. This is definitely a procedure that goes along with gastric bypass and not lapband. So I'll say it again. CALL YOUR SURGEON AND CONFIRM! The writing on the abdomen with a sharpie is funny, maybe a good idea. :thumbup: Good luck!

Took your advice and called the surgeon's office. Karen assured me that their records indicate I am a band and not a bypass. He is doing two bypasses before me then my band. I told her what happened and she said I had every right to be scared, she would notify doc what happened, but that I am scheduled as a band. I told her I was writing on my belly that I am a band not a bypass and she said to do whatever I needed to do to feel comfortable after what happened.

Thanks to all of you. I am so glad I found you and that people on this site are so willing to share.

Great to hear that Jetsy! I would still make sure they are aware on the day of surgery...

Come to think of it although everyone in the pre-op room came in and seemed quite aware what I was there for,when I was rolled into the operating room there were all kinds of new people helping me slide onto the table, getting my gown untied and situated, getting my arm rests situated, setting up the surgery tools...so many people doing different tasks that it made my head spin :smile2:. Then I remember someone (possibly the anesthesiologist) saying you are Jodi... ,and you are here for Lap Band surgery, is this correct? I just remember thinking it was weird that she was asking that question at this point. :thumbup: So now I know that this is what they call a "time out" .

Edited by Jodi_620

When I had foot surgery a few years back, I took a black magic marker and wrote on my lower leg, " operate on this foot " with a big arrow. It made me feel a lot more comfortable going into the operating room.

Tom

Also, be sure and read your surgical consent form carefully b4 you sign. Make sure the correct surgery is listed on the consent. And yes, I would write on your stomach if it makes you feel more secure. And as they wheel you back, double check verbally with the nurse b4 they put you under.

That definately would scare me too... I had ankle surgerya few years back and before surgery they gave me a sharpie and had me put an x on the leg that was being operated on. I thought at the time what in the

world would they do that for. Now I know... When I had my gall bladder out I remebered so many different people asking me what they were doing to me when i was in sugical holding before hand. I kept thinking... how can these peole not know. My husband said.. they are just double checking. But it was a lot of different people asking and I think that this day and age when people are completely sue happy... Double checking is there only security.

before you go into surgery write on your stomach with a sharpie "i am getting a band. not bypass!". a friend is a surgical nurse and says they will actually write on the patient prior to surgery if there is a concern. things like "operate on this hand". and "no" on the other. sounds stupid to me but what can it hurt?

I would also go a step further and write on your abdomin with a sharpie "lapband surgery only"

I was going to recommend the same thing