Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Problem Foods

Hey guys - I'm one week post band, and continuing to adjust to the liquid diet. I start blended foods tomorrow, so I'm pretty psyched.

However, as I continue to salivate over foods that I can't eat yet, I wonder if I will ever be able to eat them again.

I realize that everyone is different, but are there some common foods that become problem foods after the band? Here's my list of foods that I love that I'm very anxious over the possibility of not getting to eat ever again. Now I understand many of these foods are not the best nutritionally, and should not be part of a bandster's daily diet regimen. I also understand that the occasional cheat is inevitable, perhaps even advantageous for the dieter.

Calamari

Spicy foods (hot wings, jalepeno poppers, etc)

pizza

Flour tortillas

Steak

popcorn

Shrimp

It's a relatively short list, but important. At least to me.

I'm only a week post-op but I've had no problem eating spicy foods, chili, enchiladas, grilled shrimp, chicken, steak and sausage. cheese and crackers work well too. All in very small quantities of course, and chewed very well.

The rest of the stuff on your list has bread involved one way or another. Some people can and some can't it seems. I haven't tried yet.

The only food so far I flat out could not eat was scrambled eggs, of all things. Totally got stuck, even with an unfilled band.

Calamari

Spicy foods (hot wings, jalepeno poppers, etc)

pizza

Flour tortillas

Steak

popcorn

Shrimp

I can eat all those things. I just have to take tiny bites and eat very slowly....but like you said, everybody is different. Also, remember that the fundamentals haven't changed: You have to take in less calories than you burn or you won't lose weight.....but you already know that and have stated as much. You sound like a smart guy, Tim. I know you'll continue to keep kicking ass with the weight loss. Good luck!

part of the equation should be not if, but should you be eating those foods. If we all continue to eat the way we did before the band is only going to be partially effective. Yes you can eat smaller quantities and chew it better, but then your are not getting the nutrition your body needs to have energy and be healthy. Another consideration is eating spicy foods that would normally require drinking something to tame the heat. Remember no drinking during meals. This has been the hardest thing for me to overcome. Now I still drink Water or Tea when I eat, but only small amounts because drinking during a meal will almost guarantee a PB when you are at proper restriction.

You will see this statement a 1000 times on this board " the band is just a tool, not a miracle" and if you do not change the way you eat, you will be very disappointed.

I don't want to discourage you, and maybe others have done just fine continuing to eat the way they did before, but don't count on it.

The only thing I've tried on your list was good old cheese pizza. I use to eat pizza with pepperoni and mushrooms and I was able to eat nearly the entire large pizza if not the entire thing. However, I was able to enjoy my favorite food and only eat in total.....one slice. It was great. I actually cut the slice in half so I told myself I ate two. Whether or not it is the best food for me or the healthiest I feel it is important to be able to enjoy the foods you love from time to time. I'm glad I'm banded. It kept me from eating the whole pie.

AirKuhl - I also had the worst PB on scrambled eggs. I couldn't believe it. I still haven't had my first fill and so far everything seems to be going down really well. But those eggs. I was in pain and throwing up for half and hour.

I'm actually amazed that you guys are eating all this stuff so quickly. Two weeks out I'm still on full liquids, and will be on full liquids for two more weeks. Then I'll be on purees for two weeks. So I'll be six weeks post op before I begin any solid foods at all. Maybe my surgeon is overly cautious?

Bryan

Bassriley - I had the same diet until I met with my doctor towards the end of my solid liquid phase. He told me I could go ahead a try mushies for a few days and as long as everything goes down well I could move on to solids. I've bascially eat more mushies than solids. My doc wants me to be on complete solids for two weeks prio to my first fill which is on Oct 2nd. So, technically I should be on all solids as of today.

Thanks for the answers and encouragement guys.

The sound of pizza makes my mouth Water....

I did come up with a pretty appetizing recipe today, based on one I found here - sort of satisfies an italian food craving:

4oz imitation crab (or real if you want blow money) - chopped

1/4 cup ricotta cheese

1/4 cup egg beaters

1/4 cup mozzarella cheese

1/4 cup pizza/spaghetti sauce

Mix it all up, throw in the microwave for 1.5m.

The way I count it, about 250 cals and 15 grams of Protein. Not great, but not bad.

I'm actually amazed that you guys are eating all this stuff so quickly. Two weeks out I'm still on full liquids, and will be on full liquids for two more weeks. Then I'll be on purees for two weeks. So I'll be six weeks post op before I begin any solid foods at all. Maybe my surgeon is overly cautious?

Bryan

I was on the same, very conservative diet, Bass. I didn't mean to imply I could eat anything like that out of the gate. It was about 6 weeks before I was up to real food.

We've all been impressed by the wide variety of approaches different surgeons have. The liquid diet can be a pain in the ass <tm words I couldn't use in mixed company, but can be comfortable using in these testosterone-rich environs>, but you lose really quickly on it, I found...