Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to expect at first consultation

Hi Friends -

I have my first consult tomorrow and was just wondering if anyone can share some experiences on it for me. I was told to expect to be there for at least 2 hours and to fast for at least 2 hours before the appointment.

I just tried to call the office to ask for some more info, but go figure, they are closed for lunch!

I can’t comment on what happens as my first consultation is Thursday and I’m wondering the same. What do we expect?

I’m very excited to start this process already

I'll be sure to post back tomorrow after mine so you have some idea. I'm sure things are different from dr to dr and from state to state.....

Good luck to us!

Ugh - the anxiety is getting to me. I'm a VERY impatient person - and spoiled I might add. Kinda like that girl from Willy Wonka - I WANT IT AND I WANT IT NOW!

Need humor or I'll go nuts!

:blush:lol you have me cracking up over here I'm kind of the same way! I want it now to lol. I just want this so bad already... Yes keep me posted on what happens at your consult.

Hi everyone, I will be going to my first consutation on tuesday Sept. 23 at Richmond Kaiser in Ca. They told me it will be for 5 hours. Any one who has been through this at this Kaiser?

My first consultation was in may. I got my band last thursday from Dr. Cywes in Jacksonville. The doctor talked to me about the procedure and the reasons why I am overweight (he says fat, lol). He explained that obese people have an addiction to carbs and that his job is to help me fight that addiction. It all made sense to me. He asked if there were any questions. He said that from that point forward, each time I ate something I was to ask myself two questions: why am I eating this? and how many carbs does this have?

Oh, before I talked to the Dr., they did a med history and got my weight. They also got paperwork ready for all of the tests that I would have to get. (labs, ekg, chest xray...)

Also, he gave me a website to go to that you can do a free food log. It's called fitday.com. You put in everything that you eat and it keeps track of calories, fat, carbs, and Protein. This was a lifesaver when I did my preop low carb diet. Hope this helps you!!

hello all......

My first consultation meeting was about 2 hrs long. the first hour was me getting weighed and them asking alot of questions about my weight my diet, lifestyle, etc.... then they explained the different procedures that i might want to get. then I talked to the insurance person. then finally I was given a packet to give to my primary doctor and a form for my bloodword and I was done! it helped alot that I knew what surgery I wanted to do. I hope tis helps you. eb

I went through SSF Kaiser and they had the 5 hour orientation. It really revolved around mostly bypass with a little band peppered in. I think it may have evened out more by now because they are more knowledgeable about the band now.

Basically, they weighed you, measured you (height), gave you a binder full of information, introduced you to the team of people you would be getting to know through the process and talked about mindful eating and how to eat post-op. Each person on the "team" gave their own little portion of the presentation. They also put you on a "pre-op meal plan". We weren't supposed to call it a diet because "it is a new way of life". LOL

Pretty long and drawn out but it wasn't too bad.