Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So- Do You Sit Down and Eat Like The Rest of The Family?

(smaller portions of course)

Let's say it's meatloaf, mash pot., squash night- do you eat the same thing.

Will there ever be a sloppy joe night where I can have a little sloppy joe on toasted bread? Or is all that gone now? lol

And let me say, I'm not talking junk foods.

TIA

My husband and I will eat the same foods...healthier choices than before, but the same stuff. I'll just eat WAY WAY less than I used to. Of course, I'm anticipating that from what my surgeon told me and what I've read on this board, but I can't imagine why it would be any different! If he has steak and a baked potato, I'll have 3-4 ounces of steak and a part of a baked potato, either dry or with light butter (for example) They say most of us can eat "anything" so that's what I'm thinking will happen to me!

I will tell you that I do eat for the most part what I make for the family. There are some things that I just can't eat. Steak for me is one of them. I don't miss it anymore. I have found a really soft well cooked Prime Rib is great. I can not eat bread, Pasta or other things that have gluten in them.

I have learned to adjust how I cook for the family so that I can eat whatever I make for them. You learn along the way! :wink_smile:

luckily banded same day as my husband (no kids). so meal time is very easy. i've read a few threads that some have had their food bill drop; not us - we spend more money now on fresh produce/fish/etc.....didn't realize how cheap processed crap was.

i can do toast - has to be thin/wheat, Pasta on occassion, brown rice frequently. i don't think you'll have to give up your favorites, but might find healthier subsitutes, as i think our taste buds change along the way...

I have the same stuff, minus anything that would give me trouble, like bread. I give myself a salad plate instead of a dinner plate so my food doesn't look as small as it is. I also pass on the drink. Today I have been really thirsty so I had some ice cubes to suck on after dinner.

I have the same stuff but generally have to leave out some of it to be able to eat enough Protein first.

I did sloppy joes, but had to have it on only half of a bun because I needed the Protein and didn't want to waste my precious tummy space on a bun. I usually only get a bite or two of the carbs in general, just because I really concentrate on eating alot of protein first, then having a little veggies before I even try the carbs. There have been days when I ate the mashed potatoes too, but it is definitely not my regular approach.

You can also adjust your cooking to help the whole family eat healthier. I tried making meatloaf and sloppy joes both using a mixture of ground beef and ground turkey... no one is the wiser. KC Masterpiece has a low carb bar-b-q sauce I use along with splenda to make the sloppy joes. I always used KC but with brown sugar before, no one noticed a difference. However I didn't use bread, I just ate it with mashed potatoes on the side. I'm still in mushy/soft stage and while the weight loss is certainly slowing down I noticed today when I put on my shirt it was extra baggy and when I came to work one of my employees asked me if I was dieting because I look a lot thinner... this without getting a fill yet.. major mood booster.:wink_smile:

But like the others said, once you get a fill, the amount you eat will reduce, some people have a problem with bread, I haven't tried it, but I did eat a soft corn tortilla with no problem. It feels great to push your plate away with food still on it... and be full.:thumbup:

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Tonight I sat down at a family barbecue and had grilled baby potatoes, green Beans and shallots grilled with ham, plus 1/2 ear of corn on the cob and 1/3 of a bratwurst. Yummy. Yesterday I tried some meatloaf and green Beans, and had problems with it. Luckily for me, my number one pre band junk food (donuts) is a major no no now. Just can't eat them. I stay away from bread in general, although I have had an occasional Sourdough Jack from Jack in the Box.

My husband and I were eating fairly healthy food, lots of vegies, before banding, so now it is a matter of portion size. I eat 1/3 to 1/4 of what I used to eat at a meal.

I plan on it. I'm still on the post-op diet levels so it'll start getting easier this next week. I can now add beans/legumes and seafood. Tonight DH and DD had chopped BBQ chicken sandwiches and squash while I had 1/2 of an individual Trader Joe's Mexican Quiche. Tomorrow night we're planning salmon filets and I can't wait!

Snowbird, question for you! I saw that you had a Brat at the BBQ. How does your stomach handle that? We have an Oktoberfest dinner at church (German Lutheran!) on 10/4 and I'll be coming off of my post-op diet that week. By then I'll be eating all foods. I'm nervous about the brats. Hot German Potato salad might be okay, tho it has vinegar in it and the Red Cabbage might give me some problems but I was really curious about the brats. I only get them once a year (at this dinner) so it's kind of a treat. Thanks.

Absolutely! Meal time is a very important bonding time for your family, why would you want to miss out on it? Just eat less or skip parts you shouldn't be eating. I'm only a week in but I eat with my family every day, even the first few days when I just had liquids.< /p>

Guest Leslie2Lose

I cook for the whole family. Generally speaking I cook a lot healthier than I did pre-band. I eat whatever they are having - just less of it. My Breakfast and lunch generally is more planned around me, since I eat it normally at the office during the week.

Funny I saw this post.. I am making sloppy joes tonight! Yes, I will eat some of the meat with no bread and probably a few bites of a salad... While my 2 teenagers and husband will manage a whole plate of food. I will only eat about 1/4 cup of sloppy joe and 1/2 cup of salad and that might be pushing it.

Like Leslie I work in an office (About 10 hours a day) So I have breakfast, lunch and atleast 1 snack at work that is specifically what I would consider band foods.

heartfire--

I don't have any problem with brats, hot dogs, or other sausage. I don't eat bread with them, but slice them very thin and chew well.

As you probably don't have any fill in your band at this point, you shouldn't have a problem. Just take it slow, take one bite at first and chew well, then wait a couple minutes to make sure you are okay. The only food I had any problem with before my first fill was shrimp--got stuck a bit, but I could still eat them.

heartfire--

I don't have any problem with brats, hot dogs, or other sausage. I don't eat bread with them, but slice them very thin and chew well.

As you probably don't have any fill in your band at this point, you shouldn't have a problem. Just take it slow, take one bite at first and chew well, then wait a couple minutes to make sure you are okay. The only food I had any problem with before my first fill was shrimp--got stuck a bit, but I could still eat them.

Thanks Snowbird!! Since I really only eat these once, maybe twice a year, I was kinda hoping I could still do it. I will be very careful. Thank you! I'm missing the veggies and fruit right now the most. We get everything organic from a local farm and I just look at them all so longingly!!! LOL!!