Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do I Need My Gall Bladder?

I am reading so many things about people have gall bladder surgery after getting the band. I'm looking into getting the band in March and I'm wondering if everyone has issues with their gall bladder? What are the issues? Does someone NEED their gall bladder? :wink_smile:

Me included! 6 weeks after my band, my gall bladder died. It's VERY VERY common with any weight loss, Jenny Craig, Nutrisystem, etc... When we eat fatty foods, the gall bladder squeezes out the bile to digest the fat. When we diet intensely and don't eat fats, the bile sits in the gall bladder. Somtimes the bile forms stones, sometimes the gall bladder walls lose the ability to contract and quit functioning. I had mine out August 1st, and after 7 months of hell with the thing, I am only none too happy to see it gone! I can eat again, no pain, no bile reflux, just living good again. Thousands of people have their gall bladder removed each year. Once in a while people will get what is called Post Cholecystectomy Syndrom. It basically causes some mild diarrhea. When the gall bladder is removed, the bile continually drips out of the liver straight into the small intestine. For some people this causes diarrhea for a few months. Fortunatley not myself. They can give you a medicine called Questrin, which binds the bile and eliminates the diarrhea. Not a big problem.

I just caught you are in California too. I"m down in Costa Mesa. My insurance didn't cover this either. I had mine done down at Bajanor in Mexico, $7100 self pay. Right now I think it's $6800 My gosh I sound like a spokesperson! hehehe They are cheap, excellent, by no means fancy, but get the job done. Obesity Control Center is also in TJ and are probably the most well known facility in TJ. They cater to us obese Americans, have very high standards there, and you wouln't be at all disappointed with them. :wink_smile: Good luck!

I had mine removed awhile ago. Not having it has never been an issue for me.

I'm Lori explained it very well! So NO you don't need it. And I think people who follow the post op recommendations of their surgeon (Ie slowly reintroducing food to give the stomach a chance to adapt...) don't have the problems with diahrrea. I know I never did! :wink_smile:

If you have to lose an organ, the gall bladder and/or the appendix are top contenders for "who cares?" LOL

No, you do not "need" your gallbladder. I had mine removed 2 yrs. ago. If I had it to do over again, I would think twice. :thumbup: Yes, I had sludge and yes it would eventually need to be removed. I didn't have gallstones and wasn't in any pain, just nauseated which hasn't changed much. Anyway, Drs. lead you to believe that you will be able to eat anything you ate before the removal. I unfortunately have trouble eating anything. Whether its a salad, turkey sandwich or greasy cheeseburger. I will have the same reaction each time and have to be around a bathroom in 30 minutes. Its awful! I hate going anywhere and I always have to know where the nearest restroom is. :wink_smile: Ugh...miserable! However, EVERYONE is different. Just like with the Lap Band. I just wish one of my Drs. would've informed my of the possiblilites. Thus, my only reason for sharing.

I am having a Lap Band placed at the end of the month. Yes, I need to lose weight but not having my gallbladder also was a huge factoring decision. I'm hoping with less food going in will decrease my "dumping" syndrome.

Hopefully you won't need yours removed.:mellow: However, if you already have a band in place, then you probably won't experience what I've gone through. Good luck!

No, you do not "need" your gallbladder. I had mine removed 2 yrs. ago. If I had it to do over again, I would think twice. :mellow:

I have to admit, that was my experience too. I had my gallbladder out because of stomach issues only to find out I have IBS.:thumbup: Don't get me wrong, there were some issues that got somewhat better after removal, but the actual reasons I had my gallbladder out continued after it was removed. :wink_smile:

Sounds to me like you guys had surgeons and PCM's who didn't do their due diligence. I had an ultrasound and the doc showed me my one very large stone....so there was no doubt. But again, luckily I've had no issues post op. Maybe because I DID need mine removed. You don't "cure" IBS by removing a gall bladder. And one that has sludge..I think could be treated with drugs and diet.

Sounds to me like you guys had surgeons and PCM's who didn't do their due diligence. I had an ultrasound and the doc showed me my one very large stone....so there was no doubt. But again, luckily I've had no issues post op. Maybe because I DID need mine removed. You don't "cure" IBS by removing a gall bladder. And one that has sludge..I think could be treated with drugs and diet.

It was my surgeon. I had all kinds of tests done (ultrasound, hiata (sp?) scan, colonoscopy,etc). My primary doctor sent my results to a gastrointerologist who sent me to see the surgeon for further analysis. He just walked in and said I needed to have it out. I had surgery a week later. They told me to allow a few months for my body to get used to not having the gallbladder. I did, but continued to have the same symptoms that I was having. My primary doctor finally decided to have me try some IBS medicine to see if my symptoms got better. They did get better so I have been on Levsin every since.

Shame on that surgeon...but then, the other docs should've guessed that, surgeons cut! That's what they do! Sorry you had issues but it's good that you are doing well now! :wink_smile:

It was my surgeon. I had all kinds of tests done (ultrasound, hiata (sp?) scan, colonoscopy,etc). My primary doctor sent my results to a gastrointerologist who sent me to see the surgeon for further analysis. He just walked in and said I needed to have it out. I had surgery a week later. They told me to allow a few months for my body to get used to not having the gallbladder. I did, but continued to have the same symptoms that I was having. My primary doctor finally decided to have me try some IBS medicine to see if my symptoms got better. They did get better so I have been on Levsin every since.

My PCP and surgeon both recommended it. I was under the impression that I would feel so much better after having it removed that I was eager to have it out. I too, had multiple testing done (ultrasound,endoscopy,HIDA scan, etc.). Unfortunately, I didn't know how to read an ultrasound or HIDA scan and listened to their advice. I really don't think I needed mine removed. Grr...I'm very upset.:wink_smile: Needless to say, my surgeon who also does bariatrics, WILL NOT being doing my Lap Band surgery!!

:wink_smile: Needless to say, my surgeon who also does bariatrics, WILL NOT being doing my Lap Band surgery!!

Neither is my surgeon. He left the worst scars on me. Considering he does bariatric surgery, you would think he would know you can't tape together a fat woman's stomach incisions and expect it to heal well. Each incision spread apart much wider than they would have if he would have used something else. I think I would have rather had sutures and the marks they leave than the scars I have.

He left the worst scars on me. Considering he does bariatric surgery, you would think he would know you can't tape together a fat woman's stomach incisions and expect it to heal well.

:)Lol...that was so funny! I hear ya tho. My scars aren't the best and my belly button is deformed to the point it looks like something out of a horror movie. I can't even stand to look at it and I had a cute lil' belly button before, if I do say so myself. ;)

my belly button is deformed to the point it looks like something out of a horror movie.

So is mines! I swear it feels like I have two of them now! I had another laproscopic surgery and they cut at the bottom of my belly button. You can't even see that scar, but this one stands at attention! grrr:cursing: