Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

realize band vs. lap band

is there a difference between the bands? Can anyone help? I know i am getting lap band, and that is what the dr called it, although is it the same as a realize band?

lap band is the generic term. I think all lap bands are called ...lap bands. Just like this forum is lapbandtalk.

Realize is a brand name of a lap-band. Inamed is another brand. Both are considered lap-bands.

At least, I thats my understanding.

There are discussions on this board about the merits of the various brands of bands that you can search. I would suggest you gain confidence in the surgeon and use what he suggests.

Edited by Cujo

It is funny you should ask this today. I was in the doc's office for an adjustment yesterday and I asked about the difference due to some recent threads on this forum. I also have a different fill doctor now and my original surgeon told me that both are good choices and did not lead me to choose one over the other.

The response is that it is like choosing between a Ford & a Chevy . . . some people swear by Ford, some people swear by Chevy and people can be extremely passionate about their choice . . . but both are really good options and can get you to goal if you are putting the effort in. I thought it was a funny analogy after reading some of the "heated" threads regarding differences lately.

I have the Realize band and I am very happy with it. Had I had the Inamed band . . . I probably would have been happy with that too :0).

I think LAP-BAND is a registered trademark of Allergan. They show it with the mark beside it on their site. The generic term is Adjustable Gastric Band. But it's kind of like Kleenex and Q-Tip. Both of those are brand names that are now used generically.

I was banded in August with the Realize band and am very happy, as HeatherO stated I would probably be just as happy with the other brand. Dr. Feilding is my surgeon at NYU Medical Center in NYC, he has done over 2.000 band surgerys and said they are equal, one is not better than the other. Also, Dr, Feilding is banded himself.

Which ever choice you make will be the right one.

Good Luck,

LindaGail

Nike or Adidas...both are sneakers. Same with the LapBand and the Realize band. Different brands, but both are just adjustable gastric bands.

got banded sept 5th

i chose realize because it was the newest and thought it would have been designed after looking at any flaws the other had. My surg. nurse likes it best says its more plyable , seems stronger and the port is a better form.

My Doc won't use anything but REALIZE, unless u demad it........the port is more stable...I FELT BOTH brands and I like the continous saline baloon, not those little hard bubbles that "LAPBAND" brand has!

:wink_smile: Joy

My doc prefers the new AP band over the Realize band, but he did mention he would be doing a study using the Realize band to see if he gets the same results as he does with the new AP band. I'll be interested to hear the results.

Did he say what made the AP Band better....just curious? Too late to matter for me as TOMORROW is my BIG day. I actually feel like it's Christmas and Birthday all rolled into one package!:smile:

Joy

I was just wondering what you guys thought about this subject. I just met with my surgeon on the 12th & he also is giving me the option of which one to pick. He said that the lap band port is a little taller & smaller around, while the realize port is shorter & bigger around. The lap band port goes on the right side while the realize port goes on the left. He said that they are both good wide bands and that the main difference is the web pages.

But then he went on to say that the lap band comes in a bigger around size which makes it easier to get around a larger stomach.

Then he made me feel really good by saying that if I was bigger, he would want me to use the lap band. But, being that I really wasn't that BIG I get to choose. I'm a 3x no one ever tells me that I'm not that big! That was totally cool.

I don't know which way to go though. Maby I should get the Realize band just because I can? LOL

I have lap band and my port is on the left side. lap band comes in differant sizes and I was told the realize comes in one. I think it's a 14cc but i would have to check on that.

From what I understood the new AP band has been improved upon while the realize band has not been improved upon other then making the port lower profile.

Either way, both bands have been proven to work and I am sure you will do great! Congrats on your surgery tomorrow!

Here are some FAQ's I found on the OH website.

"What is the difference between Lap Band and Realize Band? Both bands come open and are buckled together during installation. Both bands have a good record of weight loss. The newest Lap Bands are called the AP System and come in two sizes, APS- which holds 10cc’s of saline and the APW which holds 14cc’s. The improvements include making the reservoir (where the saline goes) go 360 degrees around, making it wider (supposed to help with slippage), and having it semi-divided into sections. It has two port sizes, regular and low profile. Both are placed by sutures. The Realize Band which is owned by Ethicon, a Johnson & Johnson company, bought their band from a company in Sweden and renamed it from the Swedish Band to the Realize Band. It already had a reservoir that goes around 360 and is in the new wide style that most modern bands use. The plastic is softer (supposed to help with erosion) and the reservoir doesn't come pre-divided. It has a low profile port and the port is applied with a device that triggers claw like hooks to attach to the muscle or it can be sutured in place. It's up to the surgeon whether or not they use the claws or sew the port in place the way the Lap Band port is installed. The claws are supposed to be better for preventing port flipping."

On another note..

I have the AP band and my port is on the left.

Did he say what made the AP Band better....just curious? Too late to matter for me as TOMORROW is my BIG day. I actually feel like it's Christmas and Birthday all rolled into one package!:lol:

Joy