Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Throwing up..can anyone give advice??

I'm 19 months out with no problems what so ever. until last month. I started throwing up this brownish slimy stuff. I will feel very restricted and then get a slight heartburn feeling, then start salivating like crazy. I end up throwing up this brownish slime. its happened like 6 times in a 2 months. If anyone has any advice or experiences to share I would really appreciate it.

I am down 153 lbs.

banded Feb. 07

first of all congrats on the tremendous amount of weight you lost.. you are doing fabulously..

But what you described, the heartburn, pbing, and slimming are all indicators the you need an adjustment to get some Fluid out of your band..

I had the same expirince back in march and the unfill helped so much..

Get in contact with your surgeon asap... Tight fills can be harmful to your band and not to mention health

Good Luck!!

Well, ended up taking a trip to the ER. They emptied the band witch gave instant relief. Unfortunately, now they say that I had a partial prolapse, I think it is a result of the heaves I had prior to ER trip. Now they just want to remove the band. they haven't scoped me or anything, they say this band is done and needs to be removed. I want to request a scope to show a more specific reason why the band is done. Although I have gone from 298lb to 140lb I don't think I can keep the weight off without the band and am scared to death. Has anyone else had anything like this happen? Has anyone had their band replaced? Or removed and still able to maintain loss? Please help, any advice would be wonderful.

Thanks Martie.

I can understand why you needed an unfill but don't understand how they can know there is a problem with the band. Did the ER doctor say that or your surgeon? I would insist on a scope!

band surgeon made prognosis by looking only at the fluoroscope. I go back next friday for a preop but will demand a esophegeal scope to actually see what is happening. They are jumping to remove it without actually looking at it. I feel fine now that the liquid has been removed. no restriction, no discomfort, i feel like they are jumping the gun on removal.

well I went to the Dr. last friday and I did have slippage. I am scheduled for band removal and replacement at the same time. My surgery will be in oct. I think this happened because I was too filled. I was at a 2.50 in a 4 cc. band. I was pb-ing and let it go too long. The band has worked for me and I am sooo glad to be getting it replaced. I thank you all for your replys and advice.

Hello Martie, happy to hear they are going to fix it.

Looks like the leason learned here is and Im not trying to rub salt in your wounds I just want others to understand that its NEVER to early to call our Docs, rememeber they work for us, we pay them so NEVER wait if you are having any problems. BETTER SAFE THEN SORRY!!!

Just wanted to let everyone know that I went back to the Dr. a couple times now and he said...after putting me through all this...that after looking at my fluoroscopy it doesn't look like a slip after all. I am just beside myself. I am happy that I don't have to have my band removed and replaced but man what a rollercoaster ride. I was devastated to hear that my band slipped. I had a terrible 2 weeks thinking about surgery. But I am so happy....I went in today, after having my band empty for 2 weeks and got a 1cc fill. we are going slow to make sure all is well. I have the 10cm band which holds 4cc's. I just wanted to update and say that so far I am feeling great, not much restriction but thats ok for now...atleast I am back on track. I'm sticking with soft foods for awhile tho...just to make sure. Thanks to everyone for listening. Take care all!

Wow Marti. I'm glad your story ended the way it did. You sure have been through a lot. Congratulations on the weight you've lost. I am so proud of you and I don't even know you. You are an inspiration!!!! Becky

Thanks for your question..I am having trouble since my last fill and I thought things would get better. I slime almost everytime I eat and I thougtht it would get better as the month went on and the "fluid" slowly leaked out. After your post, I will call my doctor Monday and see if I can go ahead and come in...I have also worried about slippage. Thanks again for making me think with my head and not with my losing waist...LOL!! The only thing I can eat is Protein Shakes and ice cream. =0(...

MissBS...Thanks so much for your reply. put a smile on my face:)

I am so glad that its working out for me too. I was so worried. I still am...but so far things are going good. I feel great. No restriction really but like I said before..I would rather be safe right now. Its been a journey I wouldn't trade for anything. I wish you good health and weightloss in your journey. I see your down 21 lbs. thats wonderful and its just the beginning. Keep in touch OK? Take care

Harleymom... sounds just like what I went through...I am not going to say that what happened to me will happen to you because everyone is different but if you feel that restricted don't put it off like I did. I put it off for a few months. Definetly get in to see the Doc. Better to have some fill removed than to cause further problems. Keep in touch and let me know how you're feeling. I know what you mean about the ice cream...I became very fond of vanilla but sherbert was the main culprit...LOL! But please let me know what happens, keep in touch!

Can someone help me understand what we mean when we say throw up? I often have a couple of bites come back up but I do not think of that as really throwing up. Am I wrong? Is that called reflux? Am I damaging my band? Thanks!!

Thanks Martie...I go in tomorrow for a follow up and I think I will keep that appointment and talk to him about it..It is sooo hard because when they are having you swallow Water to see how "restricted" you are...I don't know what "feeling" is right and/or wrong...Thanks for your concern...It's nice to know we have others out there...have a great night!!