Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

a look back at losing my band, please read!

So I have gained 31 lb's out of a 64 pound overall weight loss.So almost half of my weight loss is back on since losing my band. Bear with me, while I have a pity party for a moment, but hopefully it will be an inspiration to ya all. Well, my sleep apnea is in full swing again, feel like crap, I can't cross my legs again, I am busting out of my clothes and I got rid of everything so I have no clothes to fall back on. I am snoring, I am out of breath again. I have love handles, and a double chin that had mostly gone away. My wedding ring is tight again. My feet are aching from caring the fat around. Do you guys remember when you lost just enough of the weight to feel like you were lighter and kinda almost floating compared to how it had been at your highest weight. Well, that feeling is long gone, I miss that the most.

I have to stress this so much...be good to your band, keep fills at a good amount, do not get into vomiting or Pbing episodes. You guys do not want to lose your bands. I have never ever been able to diet, to keep any weight off. The band is the only thing that has worked. I should have respected it more.__________________

Well one major thing is yes, everyone has a vice they fall back in times of despair, but thank heavens you have your band. I thought in my head with the band, Oh I will never eat wrong again, I will never gain weight again. How many times did we say to ourselves before the band please, please let me go back to my proper weight, I will never gain the weight back again. I have learned my lesson.

I got down right cocky with my band on. I began to look at those around me and think to myself, look at those people they have no self control what is wrong with them. That was actually my band talking too. Because I did not have that urge to eat, my husband is overweight with diabetes, I would look at him with disgust and say stop eating all that food.

They often ask what type of eater are you? I laughed I thought I knew. I thought I was indeed just a social eater that loved the textures and flavor of food. But was it just that? Could I really be 100 lbs overweight just wanting to enjoy food among family and friends.

WRONG I lost my band, I vowed I would never put one more lb on. I had learned, I thought. I am going to say it right here, we have not learned, we are compulsive eaters that turn to food in time of crisis. So shortly after my band was off I was so low, what have I done my whole life, turn to food.

But here was the wake up call.

My mother became ill, my dad was a wreck, and for the first time in my life I stopped and listened to what my brain was saying. and this is what it was: Janine you can't deal with this you need a cookie, it will make things better, Janine just get the cookie Janine, the damn cookie Janine. I had several Cookies and that was just the beginning.

I am being rebanded September 16 after losing 70 lbs and regaining 35 lbs. I know now that I am mentally sick over food. I am very humbled by my experience and will try to have more compassion for those struggling around me. I will be so thankful that I was given the opportunity to once again have this incredible tool to help me with what I can not deal with in times of tragedy and crisis. Not to mention everyday life.

I really enjoyed reading your story. I too am addicted to food. After having my baby 2 years ago I weighed in at 232 I did everything on the market and somehow was able to get down to 204 and couldn't seem to loose anymore. I vowed that even though I wasn't loosing that I would not gain a single pound. Well low and behold I current ly weigh 239. This is sickening I weigh more now than I did 9 months pregnant. I look back over th last 2 years and wonder hoe did I end up like this. Well I too started with just one bite that turned in to many many more. I am going to be banded on Sept 23,2008. As a requirement for banding I had to go to 5 therapy sessions related to my binge eating. The sessions really helped me evaluate my eating habits. For the first time I owned up to being responsible for how fat I am. I am on day 2 of my liquid pre-op diet and I am struggling. My stomach is saying eat, eat , eat. It is not fair for the Dr. to tell you to starve yourself. But my heart and mind are saying aren't you ready for a change. Stick to it you can do this. I sure hope that once I get my band I am able to get my stomach and mind on the same wave length. Thanks for sharing your story with us.

Why did you lose your band?

almost a year out i broke my stitches lifting something and the band slipped.

I never knew that could happen! I am so sorry.

I'm getting banded 9/16. Thank you for your story. I understand your thoughts because you forget how much the band is doing for you. I read titles that say "life without the band" and I can't even read them because it scares me too much. The only reason I read yours was because it said Please read! I'm glad I did. In college I actually got my weight down to 150 lbs, by the time I got married 180, lost a baby 210, had another healthy baby 240, second baby 270, unhappy with life and myself I think I reached 300 but I wouldn't get on the scale. I just knew that the 28 pants I was wearing was getting too tight and I started freaking out because I didn't know where I would find clothes after that. I did Atkins and got down to 225. I felt great, a diet I could eat as much meat, eggs and cheese and I ate a lot and still lost weight. Then we went on a cruise and I was going to reward myself and eat everything I wanted and go back to dieting a week later. I don't know where the time went but all of a sudden I woke up and I was 275 again. I have played this yoyo all my life. I am so glad I read your story. I will be very careful with my band and have respect for it because I am so tired of living this life. thank you.

Niecey

Edited by Niecey

Thanks everyone for reading. I guess I am in such a different mind

frame going in this time. It's a good thing.

Hi I am new to the site and your post was one of the first I have read and I am glad that I did. I have only recently got band fixed (it was damaged by fill provider on first fill) so still new to all this

I can emphasise with you regarding how it feels to have extra weight.. I was a constant yoyo dieter, who promised this time the weight is off for good and got rid of my clothes.... to hear that you had damaged your band after doing so well is tragic I never realised this could happen. I am socked about it

Best of luck with the re banding and I hope everything goes well for you. will look out for your update post

Edited by ismeuk2008

:thumbup:I must also thank you for your story. I can really relate. I am just at that point that you talked about- feeling lighter and better. I know the band is my savior and I need to appreciate it. Sometimes it is hard to remember and listen to it and I end up bping and sliming. I am scared that I will lose my band. What did you lift and how heavy was it that you caused that much damage? Did you pb and slime alot and that hurt you too? I wish you the best of luck with your new band! You are doing a great thing getting re-banded and look on the bright side- you did not gain all your weight back! I'll be looking for further news about how you are doing.

Thank you for sharing that.

I try to remember this all the time. I know when I feel disgust at others overindulging that it is my band talking too. It is for this reason that I had a slight unfill, and am now quite open but am FORCING myself to learn to deal with an appetite again. So far I'm doing well, I havent gained, but its hard. But like we said at the start, its the kind of hard we can do. Its easier to me to not gain weight than it is to lose it. I can indulge and enjoy food, just not too much.

Everyday I go out and run for an hour. Sometimes I'm tired and I dont want to, but that is the ONE thing I have that were I to lose my band might save me from complete regain. Nobody can take that away from me, and if I lost a leg, I could swim. I can always always exercise and that will help in this battle. I will never ever ever be lazy again there. On that score I have changed completely.

But I hate to think how hungry I would be without my band. I would definitely regain weight.

I too lost my band due to slippage. I was rebanded on 9-15. I had gained back about 13 pounds of the 63 I had lost. I was losing very slowly, but since everyone says that is the way it should be I lived with it. If I had known I was going to lose my band I would have tried harder. But this time I am going to try harder and lose the rest of the weight I need to lose. I love my band and will help it help me from here on out.

So I have gained 31 lb's out of a 64 pound overall weight loss.So almost half of my weight loss is back on since losing my band. Bear with me, while I have a pity party for a moment, but hopefully it will be an inspiration to ya all. Well, my sleep apnea is in full swing again, feel like crap, I can't cross my legs again, I am busting out of my clothes and I got rid of everything so I have no clothes to fall back on. I am snoring, I am out of breath again. I have love handles, and a double chin that had mostly gone away. My wedding ring is tight again. My feet are aching from caring the fat around. Do you guys remember when you lost just enough of the weight to feel like you were lighter and kinda almost floating compared to how it had been at your highest weight. Well, that feeling is long gone, I miss that the most.

I have to stress this so much...be good to your band, keep fills at a good amount, do not get into vomiting or Pbing episodes. You guys do not want to lose your bands. I have never ever been able to diet, to keep any weight off. The band is the only thing that has worked. I should have respected it more.__________________

Well one major thing is yes, everyone has a vice they fall back in times of despair, but thank heavens you have your band. I thought in my head with the band, Oh I will never eat wrong again, I will never gain weight again. How many times did we say to ourselves before the band please, please let me go back to my proper weight, I will never gain the weight back again. I have learned my lesson.

I got down right cocky with my band on. I began to look at those around me and think to myself, look at those people they have no self control what is wrong with them. That was actually my band talking too. Because I did not have that urge to eat, my husband is overweight with diabetes, I would look at him with disgust and say stop eating all that food.

They often ask what type of eater are you? I laughed I thought I knew. I thought I was indeed just a social eater that loved the textures and flavor of food. But was it just that? Could I really be 100 lbs overweight just wanting to enjoy food among family and friends.

WRONG I lost my band, I vowed I would never put one more lb on. I had learned, I thought. I am going to say it right here, we have not learned, we are compulsive eaters that turn to food in time of crisis. So shortly after my band was off I was so low, what have I done my whole life, turn to food.

But here was the wake up call.

My mother became ill, my dad was a wreck, and for the first time in my life I stopped and listened to what my brain was saying. and this is what it was: Janine you can't deal with this you need a cookie, it will make things better, Janine just get the cookie Janine, the damn cookie Janine. I had several Cookies and that was just the beginning.

I am being rebanded September 16 after losing 70 lbs and regaining 35 lbs. I know now that I am mentally sick over food. I am very humbled by my experience and will try to have more compassion for those struggling around me. I will be so thankful that I was given the opportunity to once again have this incredible tool to help me with what I can not deal with in times of tragedy and crisis. Not to mention everyday life.

ok so Janine unless i missed something you wrote, how did you lose your band? were you pbing and your band slipped?