Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thoughts and Fears

I have been starting to struggle with fears over the band. Not that it wont work but that it will work the way its supposed to. Meaning it will limit what I can eat.

I am a little surprised at these fears as I am committed to weight loss.

Honestly though I LOVE to eat. Its something I look forward to. Sometimes something I obsess about I admit it. I am doing a cleanse right now. I am not hungry but I keep imagining the things I wish I was eating the sensation of chewing the taste. I tell myself once I am done with the cleanse I will have this one meal that I love at a local Breakfast joint. Then I remember that once I have my band I probably wont be able to eat it or others of my favorites (I LOOOOVE Pasta and from what I understand it should be stricken forever from the diet).

Anyhow I was hoping others could share if they felt the same way and how life after banding worked with their food addictions.

PS. Please don't blast me for not being committed to this I know its a tool and I have to be in the right place to make a decision to make this work just working through my fears and concerns.

I would not dream of blasting you. In fact, I went through the same fears and regrets (and still do sometimes even 3 months after the surgery). If you are ready to do this, you will know. For me, the advantages were much more overwhelming than the food. Do I regret not being able to go to champagne brunch? Absolutely! This coming Christmas will be the first one in over 35 years that we have not had champagne in our special Waterford stems while we opened gifts. But I am sure we will come up with a new tradition which can probably incorporate the Waterford as well. And I love, love love being able to buy clothes other than at Lane Bryant or Catherine's. I went into Coldwater Creek yesterday and when the salesladies found out how much weight I had lost, they treated me like a doll to dress. It was so much fun! I found that I was buying my clothes too large - trust me! That was a better feeling than even my favorite champagne brunch.

I guess what I am trying to say is trust your instincts. You know if you are ready - if you aren't then take your time and don't rush into it.

Anne:thumbup:

Thank you! Do you still have that visceral longing for those foods you aren't supposed to eat?

I haven't given up any foods that I enjoyed before. But you will change what you crave. I love Pasta too. The night before last we ate at Olive Garden. I ordered the 5-cheese ziti which comes out in a very large plate. I ate maybe a 3rd of it along with some salad & about a 1/2 breadstick & I was stuffed. I took leftovers home & yesterday I ate on them for lunch & supper. And the best part is that I didn't feel deprived at all & my scales showed a slight loss each of the last 2 mornings. (Digital scale that shows weight down to the decimal point.) I love the band!!!

Oh yes, I sure do! And sometimes I feel like I must be made of unsweetened Jello now because I eat so much of it. Like you, I love good food. I really miss my dark chocolate and hot fresh bread but when it gets too bad, I will allow myself 1 bite and then spend extra time on the bicycle. BTW I hate exercising too but I know I have to do it.

I have a very strict doctor who says no Pasta, bread, high carb foods, etc. In other words, all the things I love. But I think what keeps me going is the amazement in people's eyes who have not seen me for a while and did not know I was losing weight. I think I will always have the urges and cravings but the rewards are becoming too rich to give in to them. I am very selfish about this - I am doing it for me so I am determined to do it right. Hang in there - pm me if you ever just want to "talk". I sure don't have all the answers but I don't mind sharing what I have learned (a lot of it the hard way LOL).

Anne

You want to limit carbs through the weight loss phase (well, maybe you want to) but the point of the band is to feel full on less, not restrict yourself to an endless life of cottage cheese. There are some who prefer restriction so tight that they PB almost everything....to me, that's just unhealthy. I was told I would most likely be able to eat anything I ever did, but I would be satisfied with less. I listen to what my doc says. AND if I am so restricted I can't eat a part of a good steak (or Pasta, or whateve) then i'll get an unfill until I can.

The other is just punitive. I don't deserve to be punished; the band is my tool, not my jailer.

See I can live with smaller portions. I just need the help to know when to stop. I don't even mind exercising though sometimes I work so much I just don't have time for it.

I am encouraged that in moderation I can still eat a little of the foods I love perhaps every once in awhile.

I'm getting closer to my date, and I have been thinking, that same thoughts, but then I think about all the health problems and the fact that my love life and personal life is so different being overweight, and I know I'm making the right choice.

I want to be able to fly again, and not feel so ashamed to get on a plane, the last time I was on a plane the person next to me asked if he could change sit's, I was so hurt, yeah I'll miss my foods that I loved, but I think getting in better health out weights all the fear of not being able to eat the foods that got me this way. Love and Hugs Bobbie:smile2:

Guene as we said, whether you eventually eat the "foods you love" or not will be up to you. The band is just a tool.