Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was just diagnosed as diabetic. The doctor prescribed Byetta (2 shots daily). I haven't met with my surgeon since being diagnosed. Will this effect my banding? Anyone else using Byetta? How does it work for you?

Be sure to talk to your surgeon about Byetta. I tried it, and while it worked well as far as lowering my blood sugar, I couldn't tolerate it. One of the common side effects of Byetta is nausea. I was sick to my stomach every time I took it. It was miserable. You don't want to be vomiting if you have the band because it can cause the band to slip. There are meds that can ease the nausea, and most people find that the nausea subsides after a few weeks.

Now this is just my 2 cents as a diabetic, but I would ask your doctor about other meds first. Glucophage or a sulfonylurea are commonly prescribed ones.

The doctors at my Weight Loss Clinic at Vanderbilt were the ones who prescribed Byetta. I have had a queasy feeling a few times but it's never made me sick. I have been taking it for about two weeks so far so hopefully I will be able to tolerate it.

:omg_smile:

I take byetta too and the nausea is suppose to be the appetite suppressant. My doc told me the sooner you eat after taking the shot the less nausea but also the less appetite supressant. I can never win!!!

I tried byetta this past summer, I first started on 5mg twice a day, That did nothing for me no weight loss and no better control of my sugar, after 3 months my DR. switched me to the 10mg twice a day. I did not handle that well at all. Threw up many times after that injection no matter what I ate. I stopped taking byetta after one month.

I am being banded on the 18th of September. I can't wait. :)

I've been taking the 10mcg dose for about 2yrs now, had a lot of those symptons early on, and lost about 5lbs a week for several months. Then it stopped. Put most of it back on, so going to get banded next month. My concern is the the medications, byetta included.

Got that right, I will ask as well, go in for my Dietician and physcology evaluating on the 5th....

Has anyone taking "insulin" not byetta, caused issues with the band.???

Steve

Byetta was the first med I got off of after my band. In fact, Dr took me off it right after and thank God, I have never needed it since. That was the worst side effects I have ever had, and I stayed on it 1 year. My sugar has not gone over 100 in months. I take 50 Januvia and have cut insulin down to 40. Januvia was at 100 so all is good.

jazie

I was also told I can't take byetta. My surgeon took me off it. I haven't had an issue until I got sick (got it now). Now i'm running 129. Just above where my dr cares. So I'll probably end up on something today. But not sure I want to chance the band with byetta. I don't know if the issue was erosion or something else. But I didn't go thru this to have issues.

Teri

Teri, have you been on any Diabetes Meds since surgery? What wass your A1C before and now? I have been looking at this alot and most tell me they come off all meds right after surgery, with some having to go back on lower dosages when they start back to solid foods. Was that your experience? I have surgery scheduled for Dec 18th and am really hoping to come off all meds with the weight loss.

All, Has anyone actually had a doctor say the Byetta erodes the Lapband?? I cannot find any documentation of that other than a couple of mentions on different blogs.

I've been on Byetta for almost a year,and have had several dose changes. Initially, and with each dose change, I experienced about 2 days of nausea. It subsided for me. The nausea contributes to appetite suppression, but really, it slows aborption of food into the lower intestine, creating a feeling of satiety, and THAT is how it actually works to curb appetite.

I have to say that even though it still works well to control my blood sugar ( I take 3 injections a day: 2 from the 10 pen and 1 from the 5 pen), I have found that I seem to have developed a "tolerance",in that I no longer feel full or have appetite suppression while taking it. IN fact, the 8 pounds I initially lost, I regained.

Since Byetta was my last hope, and isn't working (for weight loss), I am getting banded!

When my band was placed they told me that byetta can't be used post op. They told me something about it may damage the band. I don't really remember. Truthfully I haven't needed anything since the band was placed, except some OJ :rolleyes: I've actually had some lows. I'm off all diabetes meds, and doing great.

teri

Terilyn, that is good to know...about byetta use and lapband. I will have to make sure my endocrinologist and surgeon (and me), communicate. BTW, I'm also a mom to a "pair and a spare": an 18 year old girl, and 15 year old twin girls!

:thumbup::tt1::thumbup:

I used byetta for about 2 years before being banded. It made my digestive system a little rumbly at first, but that went away. I was also on maximum doses of metformin, amaryl, and avandia. Post op, my PCP took me off of byetta first.

As my weight loss has progressed, I reduced and cut out the amaryl, and reduced my avandia dose. My blood glucose has never been better. My last A1C was 6.1.