Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is this normal?

I had my second fill a week ago. Before that I had no restriction from my first fill. I had 2.0cc at the first and he added 1.4cc at the second.

So, I did liquid for 1 day, then mushy, then on to regular food. The first day on regular food, I got sick on lettuce. I think the rib of the romaine was too fibrous. I did liquid the next day, but did do one of those fruit cups. It was tiny pineapple tidbits and they were quite mushy to begin with. Well, then I got sick for the second day in a row. Back to liquid yesterday. I did try to take a pill and it got stuck too. I kind of feel like it is still there. I feel like I can't burp all of the way. I have a lump in the back of my throat. I was hoping to go on to mushies this morning and I'm now having trouble getting down my coffee. I still have that can't burp feeling.

How do you know what you can and can't tolerate? I wonder when I see the list of what people can't eat. Do you get sick like this everytime you eat something you can't? I don't think getting sick like this is good, but is it normal? Thanks for any input!

Kris

No, you should not get sick like that everytime you eat. Your stomach is probably extremely swollen. I would not try anything by mouth for 24 hours and then start with liquids, mushies and then real food. Or you could get a slight unfill.....Good Luck and keep us posted!

After two more days of liquid ----If your too tight still you will need a slight unfill. You must make sure you can get liquids down so you do not get dehydrated.

Where was your surgery done? what size band do you have? How far apart were your fills? These are all important questions That i do not know about you that may help.

If your band only holds 4cc- than it seems to me(only a novice here) that your second fill was very agressive. Also depending on how long you waited for your first fill to "KICK IN" can also determin if you should have waited longer for before getting the second fill & thats why you may be too tight now. If your close to your Doctor , I highy suggest -since you said you can't get coffee down-to go get a slight unfill. Coffee by the way I think is way too tough on your organs right now while your adjusting to this new fill. Water & non-acidic juice cut w/water & maybe a boost or two would be my unprofessional advise.

Wishing you well & finding your sweet spot

Nope, Kris, not normal bandster eating going on. You should get full, not stuck. I like what Kelly said about not eating, then going back to liquids, etc. Go back to surgery day, sipping Water, then try your liquids, etc. Watch out for that swelling. It's frustrating because you are in limbo land. If it's just swelling from the fill, you don't want to get unfilled and lose your restriction. On the other hand, you may very well need a slight unfill, but you'll never know how much you truly need out until you get the swelling gone. Limbo land. Work on getting the swelling down and keeping it down till you see just how much restriction you have gained from this fill. Then you'll know what to do. And think of it as a jump start on another round of weight loss! I know it's a pain. Post surgery eating for me was not that long ago and I remember it well! Good luck. Keep us posted!

Thank you all!

I had my surgery in November 2004.

First fill in Jan.2005.

I have a 10cc band.

I got down a Protein Shake. I've always been tighter in the a.m. so maybe that was the problem with the coffee. I only have one caffenated drink a day and it's my 1 cup of coffee. I have a 18 month old to keep up with and can't get started w/out it.LOL. I'm focusing on getting some Water in today. I'll try another shake later. I guess I'll give it to monday with the liquids and if it isn't bettter, I'll call the dr.and get an unfill.

Kris

I've been PB-ing a lot lately. Could it be a result of swelling? I haven't had a fill since about three months ago and was doing fine with salads and Soups. But, ever since I PB'ed several days ago, I cant't seem to get anything down except liquids. Does swelling take place after PB-ing usually?

Miserable

Does swelling take place after PB-ing usually?

Shaz - Yes swelling happens after a PB, you esophagus becomes inflamed this is why most Dr.'s reccomend liquids for 24 hrs after a PB episode, if you do not you can risk esophagitis and you do not wantthat. I had it, it was the worst, very painful.

Kris- do liquids for a few days, try hot liquids to open you up a bit if you feel like something is stuck, cold liquids will tighten you, warmer liquids will loosen you. If you do not have any relief after 2 days on liquids and PB again after eating solids, call your Dr. you may be a tad too tight and may need some Fluid removed. as little as .2 cc's can make a huge differenc in being able to eat w/out Pbing but still give enough restriction to lose weight. The more frequent PB's you have the higher the risk of slippage is what my Dr. told me. Pbing more then once a week is not good for your band. If liquids are not followed for 24hrs after a PB it can result in a vicious cycle of eating and Pbing.

Here is the thread I started back in November on Esophagitis when I had a bad episode and did not do liquids like I should have, I have learned my lesson the hard way

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=3920&highlight=esophagitis