Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 years post op, gaining, HELP!

I am new to this forum and so far I've seen a lot of great advice. I am 2 years post op this month. The first year I did great but for some reason I have not lost any weight in the past year. I have been filled, unfilled, and then filled again and the only thing that has happened is I have gained weight! I've gained back around 15 pounds. My surgeon even told me the other day, "the lap band doesn't work for everyone", i guess that was his way of making me feel better??!?? I've started exercising, increasing my Protein and cutting out any sugar and I'm still not losing! Anyone been through this and have advice?

I wish I could give you advice on why etc...but as one who didn't lose either and am now in an un-filled state and having some complications due to the band and will eventually have it removed I can understand your frustrations. Good luck and hopefully you can resolve your issues Nancy.

Nanook, why are you going to have to have it removed?

Because I had it done a year ago and gained back most of my pre-op diet weight and it was never the right procedure for me. I got all the fills I needed and unfills but it just was never working for me. I suppose I didn't have enough info in the beginning and thought it was to restrict all my food intake and found out later it doesn't work that way.

I went in thinking this would work for me but it was the wrong "tool". Weight wise I'm doing better now that the saline is out but there's still a bit of restriction which is normal. I can eat healthier foods now which I couldn't before. I don't know why some people can always eat the healthier foods and get in enough but I never could it was always difficult. I did spend a time where I was too tight and when I gained weight the tech would just put more in, that was the thing, gaining=more fill. It was totally wrong for me. The weird thing is now that I'm getting it removed I'm also having physical problems with the band which I didn't have before.

My surgeon unfilled me a couple weeks ago on my bandiversary and we're discussing the removal but now I'm having possible esophagus issues and so may have a reason to remove it sooner. I ended up in the hospital over the weekend due to chest pains and instead of seeing if it was band related they had to concentrate on my heart to rule that out. It was not my bariatric hospital but one close to my home. My primary told me to go to the ER and then they admitted me. The hospital PA thinks it's something to do with my esophagus or a hiatal hernia or something in that area but the pains are consistent and I don't have what I think of as acid reflux where you feel it come up and never have.

I start working on figuring out if it is the lap band this Wednesday and do not know what tests they will do as I've never had any in the year I've had the band but hopefully things will move quickly and I can find it out. The pain isn't that bad where I can't tolerate it but when you have them you know they shouldn't be there if you know what I mean.

And for me I'm about 235 lbs now and started at around 253 and I really never wanted to get down to a low bmi just wanted to be healthier and lose enough for that so I don't have the drive that a lot of people do anyway to lose it fast and I have other conditions that make losing weight more difficult anyway. Good luck to you Nancy:thumbup:

Brandy, Nanook, friend.

I am so sorry that you have had so many problems with the lap band. Especially, the health problems. I haven't lost weight nearly like I thought I would, so even though we aren't in the same situation, I feel just a small amount of your frustration.

Either way I hate the things that have happened to you. And the things certain people have said to you.

Just know that I have nothing but well wishes for your health, and hope that the next step you take is much more productive.

Tara

Brandy, Nanook, friend.

I am so sorry that you have had so many problems with the lap band. Especially, the health problems. I haven't lost weight nearly like I thought I would, so even though we aren't in the same situation, I feel just a small amount of your frustration.

Either way I hate the things that have happened to you. And the things certain people have said to you.

Just know that I have nothing but well wishes for your health, and hope that the next step you take is much more productive.

Tara

Thanks Tara, that was very sweet, ditto with you!! Nancy:smile:

Thanks everybody for the well wishes and the advice. I just need to figure out a few things to get my band working for me again! I"ll you posted!

Ami