Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did Anyone Else Not Do A Upper/Lower GI?

I see on these boards all the time about people having that done.

I'm having surgery Wednesday and I never had to have an upper or lower GI. You would think I would with every other test being done. Especially with it involving the stomach.

Just curious.

Sandra

I didn't have to have an upper/lower GI done. I had to have an x-ray but that's all.

Yes I had an upper GI the day after my surgery. My doc does this to make sure that everything is working correct. If you have an upper GI you will be required to drink crap the tastes YUCKY! But not tooooooo bad.:confused:

Also if you do have the test make SURE YOU DO NOT DRINK through a straw! The X-ray person is used to having everyone drink the stuff through a straw. If you do you will have GAS! You will just sip a little of the YUCKY stuff and they will take x-rays to make sure your band is in place and that stuff will move ok. The test is not bad at all. The test takes about 10 minutes and there is NO PREP!

GOOD LUCK and Congrats on your up coming banding. :thumbup:

I had an upper GI about a month before my surgery, then again the day after, to check that things were moving through my band. No lower GI, thank goodness.

I just think it's strange that they have checked everything except the stomach. lol No x-ray for me either. And I know they won't do anything the next day because I'm going home the same day.

It depends on how you answer questions about gas, acid reflux, digestion etc....and your surgeon and his experience. I had an upper GI only (no lower) because I have a large ventral hernia, but if I hadn't had that, I wouldn't have needed it preop. In fact when I went they said my surgeon usually just does one post op.

AND postop, same day before I could go home I had a "thin swallow" GI to make sure what I was swallowing was going into my stomach and not my lungs. Once I was cleared , I went home.

When I say experience of your surgeon...I don't mean how often he's done the surgery actually (like we usually mean!) but what his experience has been with his patient base and what he finds when he goes in to operate...

It depends on how you answer questions about gas, acid reflux, digestion etc....

I do have severe acid reflux.

However, I'm trusting all will go well. I was just curious.

I am sure all will go well. It's entirely likely that your surgeon is used to the problem and isn't worried about it! :thumbup: Good luck! I bet you're excited!

I don't know what it was called, but they did make me drink the white yucky stuff and x-ray me to watch it go down. Is that an upper GI? The stuff wasn't nearly as bad as it was years ago. I had it the day after surgery, before I was allowed to go home.

I am two years post op and never had an Upper GI or x-ray. I work for the surgeon and there are a lot of people who never have to have one either.