Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleep Study - What should I take?

My sleep study is September 11th and my surgery is sometime in November...will that interfere? I was told it wouldn't. Also what happens if you end up having sleep apnea...or not having it.

When I went for my slep study my doctor gave me a list of things to bring. The only thing that wasn't on the list was SHAMPOO!!!!! Bring this for sure. They are going to put glue in your hair. I woke up the next morning looking like I had not taken a shower in years and had been sleeping under a cardboard box. I did not bring a book or anything because by the time I got into the lab and changed and all the paperwork done I was so tired that I asked to start early. Good luck!

I had to go back for a second one because the test found that I have severe sleep apnea. When I went back they had me sleep with a CPAP on and it made a huuuge difference. No wonder I've been tired for years even with enough sleep. :thumbup:

How soon were you able to get the 2nd study...? So do you think if I have to have more than one study or just one that my Study may interfere with my surgery date? Surgery will either be November 2nd, 10th, 17th, or 24th. My sleep study is september 11th...

I think there were about 3 weeks in between sleep studies. Since you're already scheduled I don't know if it will really matter.. I hadn't been approved by the insurance yet because the sleep study information had to go to them.

I'm not scheduled yet. I was just told it would be one of the mondays in november. On October 6th all of my paperwork is supposed to be sent into insurance. Now I am worrying about this stupid sleep study and maybe having to do another one and crap -.-

How many of you had to do a 2nd sleep study and if so how long did you have to wait for it after the first...?

My sleep study story was sad. I was sound asleep ha! it was a sleep study I was tossing and turning when they woke me up. My daughter was going to have emergency appencitis surgery and wouldnt let the hosp do anything until I got there. The staff yanked those electrodes off of my head and I flew to ER. IE: raced down the street at 50MPG's. I had the crap in my head all day!!! Luckily I had a hat in the car. I wore that. Still no one in the waiting room talked to me all day. I bet I was pretty scary looking!!! I had to get rescheduled for the test, it took almost a month to get it rescheduled. My daughter felt horrible as she didnt go into surgery for over 6 hrs later.

How long did it take to get your results for your sleep study?

How long did it take to get your results for your sleep study?

my results were sent the morning of completion to my dr. i had no apnea.

what i took:

my own pillow

comfy jammies

couple of dvd's - they encouraged me to watch movies to fall asleep to

a ball cap - cause the goop left in your hair afterwards is GROSS

I didn't shower there either but just realize you'll be going home with lots of crap in your hair and it's not that attractive. Make sure you bring whatever you think will help you sleep like your own pillow or blanket or even two pillows. Mine didn't have a TV in the room as they didn't want people to fall asleep to a TV but had one in a special area.

Also don't know if you'll be driving yourself but due to the fact that I barely slept at all if I had driven myself home I would have definitely crashed! Also mine wouldn't allow me to take any sleep aids that I normally would have if I were home. I suppose it depends on the clinic etc...

They told me loose comfortable clothing so I wore shorts and a t-shirt and socks and they have to be able to get to all the places on you to put their little sticky tabs, sorry don't know what they're called. I don't think I could wear a bra but at this point you're not very self conscience anyway. They had a bathroom down the hall so any time I had to go I had to call them to get unhooked and carry everything with me. Maybe you could bring an Ipod or a lap top or books, mags etc... I have a little cooler for Water etc... but don't think they had food but Snacks are a good idea too especially if it helps you fall asleep.

Oh and if you sleep with a fan you might want to bring a little one or ask if they supply them, mine did!

Have fun, it's kind of like being in a hotel, Nancy.

I'm just worried I won't get my results in time for my clearance appt September 25th and before october 6th when they send my paperwork into insurance. My sleep study is from 10pm till 6:30am sep 11th-12th. I guess I'll bring a bandana or something to wear cause I have more tests to do on another floor of the hospital at 10 am and I don't want to shower at the hospital.

my results were sent the morning of completion to my dr. i had no apnea.

what i took:

my own pillow

comfy jammies

couple of dvd's - they encouraged me to watch movies to fall asleep to

a ball cap - cause the goop left in your hair afterwards is GROSS

Did your paperwork say it would take longer? Mine says 3 to 4 weeks for results. :thumbup:

Did your paperwork say it would take longer? Mine says 3 to 4 weeks for results. :thumbup:

i went with tru results - dallas, tx

very efficient - all testing / sleep study etc done on site

my surgeons office is across the street - all tests were faxed to him the minute of their completion.

my sleep study was the last ... put it off!! it was done on a monday, i had my lapband friday. if your on top of your dr's and such you should be fine; if not ask for copies & hand deliver to your surgeon.

When I had my sleep study, the doctor came in that morning and looked at my results before I left. I was scheduled to come back the following week for the 2nd sleep study with the CPAP. My doctor allowed me to bring my own sleeping pills and anything else that I normally had to have to sleep.:thumbup: I was also allowed to fall asleep with the TV on. I told them that is how I sleep.:blushing: I have to admit that crud that they put in your hair is awful!:biggrin: I had to get the Water hotter than I EVER use to shower along with about half of the bottle of Shampoo to get that stuff out.:rolleyes: I wasn't warned about that stuff on the first sleep study and had to go to work the next day. Thankfully they woke me up and 5:30a.m., and I was able to go home and wash and wash and wash....:cry_smile: