Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Taking medications with Lap Band

Hi I am new to this and will be taking my 2 physian led class (6 month requirement) this month and I have questions regarding taking meds wit the Lap Band. It's okay if I have to stop prior to the surgery and right after before resuming the meds, but I have Sarcoid and will need to continue methotrexate and probably prednisone and some others. I have read that the first few weeks you'll be on liquids only. My concern is because the stomach will be much smaller and you can only take in so much, even with liquids, does taking medicines affect what you can take in? In other words, has anyone become sick trying to take their medicine while only being able to eat such a small portion of food or liquids. Most medicines require you eat with the med. I take several pills at one time currently, I'm wondering how it will affect me when my stomach is much smaller and I'm not supposed to eat and drink at the same time, and also only a small portion of food or liquids. I've read that you should not drink immediately after you eat. I don't want to get sick. :)

This is something only your physicians can answer for you. It is important that you be without any digestible food for a while postop to let your stomach and the band site heal. My doc and surgeon concurred that I could discontinue my one med that needed food for the 2 weeks until I got "mushies". Your situation is very different from mine. Your docs will have to decide that for you! Good luck! and WTG being aware; this far out they will be able to come up with a solution for you, I'm sure!

Isn't sarcoid an autoimmune disease? If it is, are you sure you are a candidate for the band? Again, all docs are different so don't panic! But my surgeon won't place the band if the patient has any autoimmune disease, because they are likely to have bad issues with it. He will do by pass etc...but not the band. They specifically named lupus (which I know you don't have) but he clearly said "Or any autoimmune disease". So if you haven't checked into that, you might want to. And if you have and your surgeon and you still feel the band is a good option for you, then good luck and disregard! :)

Hmmm, well at the consultation with the doctor he was aware of the sarcoid and other medical problems that I have and thought I'd be a good candidate because of it. I suppose I better call the doctors office again tomorrow to find out from them to be certain because I have to pay money out of my pocket for the surgery for the classes and I don't want to pay the balance in a few weeks, if it isn't a good idea to have the surgery with my medical conditions. I have Sarcoid, and sleep Apnea. Perhaps he was looking more at the sleep apneia rather than the Sarcoid or something. But I'll double check.

Thanks for the information!

Sure. It can't help to make certain but you know, it could be "my" surgeon who doesn't, or sarcoid is a different type of autoimmune disease and so doesn't qualify, or your surgeon may have a different experience. Just good to double check...his rationale was if you have other autoimmune issues, you are more likely to try to "reject" the band or have issues with it healing etc. He would still recommend either the sleeve gastrectomy or the roux en Y procedure for weight loss and health, just not the band. So make sure! Self pay is great because things move along but sometimes it ISNT so great because you don't have the checks and balance of insurance. It's a double edged sword, either way. I hope he explains why it won't be an issue for you and you can proceed! :)

We aren't (I'm still pre op) malabsorbers but I would ask your surgeon to make certain.

If he/she hasn't encountered this before if he/she is worth their salt they will be looking into it for their own knowledge.

If you are unsure about which procedure express this to the surgeon.

Good luck to you.

Mary I don't think malabsorption was the issue specifically, because my surgeon said if any of us had an autoimmune disease, we would be candidates for RNY or sleeve gastrectony (and RNY has malabsorption built in) but rather rejection-type issues. Of course the band doesnt convey any malabsorption, it just slows things down (which actually would seem to improve it, wouldn't it?) I am sure if the OP's surgeon is proceeding he has his own good views on the issue; just better to check and find out what they are etc. Especially if she's self pay; she doesn't want to have to have it removed because of some issue that could've been prevented. :)

Hi I was banded July 28-08 even after the surger i had to take a lot of meds. The small pills i had no promble with at all . The large pills i bought a pill spliter at the drug store . I cut them in half and take them. I try to take my meds when i am not eating and just drinking. If i have meds that say take with food then i eat and wait 30 min and then take them with liquids. I have never go sick enough to trow up yet Thank God. I could not take my meds the day of surgery but the next day i started them again. Good Luck hope this helps Dottie

Regarding other gastric procedures, I don't want to have any of the others becasue I don't want my intestines reorganized and all that stuff. I am only interested in the band and I do need to loose the weight because having the lung disease, I cannot excise enough to get results. I am out of breath very easily. I've been researching this autoimmune issue with the Lap Band and sure enough it does say talk to your doctor if you have any connective tissue autoimmune disease, any lung disease and others. So I don't want to have problems later but I do want to have the surgery because I believe it will help with a lot of issues that I have. I turned 40 this year and am a single parent of an 8 year old and by having at least 2 serious medical conditions I really wanted to do this. I was told that having the surgery can greatly reduce, if not eliminate the possibilities of having a stroke, heart attack, etc. So it is a double edged sword! I don't know, we'll see what happens. I'm going to do a thread to see if people here have Sarcoid or a serious lung disease and find out their experience is, if any.

I used to smash them between two spoons than fill it with Protein Drink put it in my mouth quickly swallow following with more Protein drink. Not bad. Now 12 days out small ones take as usual large ones cut in half or in third and take them regular. No problems:thumbup:

I take arthritis meds and Osteo-Biflex which are HUGE. They are also time released which means I am not supposed to crush them. Anyone run into this problem? Did you have to change meds or what?

I have to take Vitamin D pills because of the Prednisone and those things are huge! I am not sure if I am supposed to crush those but I'm supposed to take 2 a day! Also that Boniva pill is kind of large! My other pills are fairly small though. Now I am going to post a new thread about eating because I have stomach issues as well and cannot eat certain foods and dairy so this is going to be a real challnege for me!! I also chew fast!!

:eek::)

Hi I am new to this and will be taking my 2 physian led class (6 month requirement) this month and I have questions regarding taking meds wit the Lap Band. It's okay if I have to stop prior to the surgery and right after before resuming the meds, but I have Sarcoid and will need to continue methotrexate and probably prednisone and some others. I have read that the first few weeks you'll be on liquids only. My concern is because the stomach will be much smaller and you can only take in so much, even with liquids, does taking medicines affect what you can take in? In other words, has anyone become sick trying to take their medicine while only being able to eat such a small portion of food or liquids. Most medicines require you eat with the med. I take several pills at one time currently, I'm wondering how it will affect me when my stomach is much smaller and I'm not supposed to eat and drink at the same time, and also only a small portion of food or liquids. I've read that you should not drink immediately after you eat. I don't want to get sick. :frown:

Hello,

I have systemic sarcoid and my band was done in May. I have lost weight which I know has helped with my symptoms. I take prednisone, plaquenil and cellcept...the cellcept were large pills so I get in liquid for. researcg the meds you are on if the come in liquid forms. My surgeon was ok with sarcoid and allof my drs...cardiologist, pulm, endo, neuro all approved it.

Best of luck. Sarcoidosis Does really stink!!!!! Your fills should be adjusted to your needs. I am doing fine with the band ...:) Horrible with the sarcoid:thumbs_down::mad2:

Thanks for this information. It's good to know that others suffering with a serious disease such as Sarcoid has had this surgery and is not having complications, in addition to seeing some improvement in symptoms. I hope this works for me, and I would also LOVE to see my IBS and gas problems go completely away after this surgery. I am sooo looking foward to it! I am also on Weight Watchers and have been for about 15 weeks now and too be hones, it's not working quite right for me and I believe it's because I am always hungry or snacking and I believe that comes from taking the Prednisone. So my weight is fluctuating up and down 1-3 lbs. Well I wish everyone having this surgery good luck and thanks again for the helpful information!!! Also going to check with my dr about the med Plaquenil and Cellcept because I do not like taking that Methotraxate which I believe contributed to my hair loss.

Take care.

Gina