Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I really want to have this done,need a Dr. in Pennsylvania,can anyone help me!

Guest shabella

Guest shabella

Hi everyone!

I am new here so bear with me, i have finally decided to do something for myself and have decided that this is right for me. I weigh in at 336lbs and would like to get the ball rolling, i know this is life changing and I welcome that, so is there anyone out there who can guide me at how i can find a Dr. in my area. I live in Pennsylvania, close to Philadelphia...i have been trying to research Drs. on the internet but have had no luck. Thank you for any help that you can give me.

Chrissi

Hi,

My doctor is in Reading, PA. His name is Dr. Bonanni, and he's very experienced in doing the lap band. I found him through ObesityHelp.com, as the previous poster suggested. You can find others, possibly in Philly there. Dr. B has a website, just do a google search for Reading Surgical Associates.

I started the process with Dr. B in January and just recently got my surgery date of Nov 14th. It takes a long time to get the surgery if you go with him. He's in my insurance plan, so I went with him.

First you have to attend an information session, where they talk about the surgery, you get a packet of info, and get to ask questions. You have to get three evaluations, from a physical therapist, a nutritionist, and a psychologist. Then you meet with Paula, the wls coordinator at the office. She goes over your information and gives you yet more information. Then you get an appointment with Dr. B. I got my appt. with him in July. He will schedule you for any additional tests you might need at that point. I needed an endoscopy to look for ulcers. Then if all is well, they will submit to insurance.

As you see, it is a long, arduous process!

Best of luck to you!

Linda

Dr. Bonanni

Nov.14, 2003

Guest shabella

Hi Lindaloo,

Thank you so much for your reply, wow i did not realize that it could take so long,but i am definitely ready for the journey.

How long did it take you to realize that this was the way to go and what made you decide on the lap band verses the gastric bypass? It has taken me three years to decide that i want something done,so many diets,excersises,weight modifications,you know the drill and now i am just so tired that i want a permanent solution to end this misery, don't get me wrong, i know that it is going to be along, long journey.

Thank you for responding and helping me out, it is good to know that there is a support system out there!

Warm regards,

Chrissi;)

As I said before I had two babies close together. I have four in all, 13, 10 and 1 year old girls and one son, who is 2. The 1 and 2 yr. olds are 14 mos. apart.

While I was pregnant with my son, I had a normal weight gain for pregnancy, even though I was over weight at the time (about 220lbs). My previous babies weighed in the 6 lb range and were both born 1 month early. I had a lot of trouble with my son, I started to miscarry at 11 weeks and was put on bedrest. So I lay in bed for about 3 months, and then at 7 months was back on bedrest and meds due to premature labor. I had my son one month early, and he was a whopping 9 lbs. I had been tested for gestational diabetes, but had shown I was 'borderline." He got stuck during delivery, and didn't breathe right away after birth. It was very scary!!! But thank God, he was just fine.

Then when he was 9 months old, I found I was pregnant again. I was petrified. This time, I was monitored more closely and did have gest. diabetes. I was able to control it with diet. She was born 7 weeks early, and was only 4 lbs, 8 oz., but she was healthy.

I decided that I DID NOT want diabetes, so something had to give. I actually lost weight with my last pregnancy. I began the pregnancy at 232 and ended at 229. I didn't want to eat, I had to force myself to eat. The baby pushing up on my stomach just deadened my appetite. I thought..."If I could only have this feeling without being pregnant!!!" Then I learned about the lap band. I felt like it would simulate the sensation of fullness I had during pregnancy. So this is what I'm hoping for!

I decided I liked the lap band because of it's reversibility, and also that my digestive system would stay in tact. I have had some second thoughts, thinking that RNY would be good for losing faster and for discouraging to me to eat sweets (dumping) but really just like the band for it's better (I feel) qualities.

good luck in finding a dr!

Linda

Dr. Bonanni

255/255/150

Guest shabella

Hey Linda!

Thanks for the quick reply...did you have to have any previous Dr. records that showed you had tried unsuccessfully to lose weight or was the visit with Dr. Bonnani enough. Some of these places that i have called want medical records from your Family doctor stating that you have tried everything and this is your last resort.

Was the staff at Bonanni nice and helpful?

thanks...chrissi

Well, in August, Dr. B had asked me to go on a diet with my PCP, and call in my weight weekly, but it was not required by my insurance.

Dr. B's staff has been good, generally. I was upset recently by them, though. The nurse practicioner wanted me to come in to discuss the results of my endoscopy in August. I already knew the results. I called the office and asked if I could please have a phone consult, because the office is one hour away from my home, and I couldn't get a sitter for my two babies. She said, no, you have paperwork to sign as well. So I go in and they ask my to sign one paper, verifying my name and address. Then I have to wait in the office for over an hour. My husband (who works nearby) came in to help me with the babies on his lunch hour. The youngest (who is one) begins to cry, so he walks her in the hallway. After about a half hour he takes the kids and rides them around in the car to settle them down. I finally get called back to see the nurse, and all she does is tell me things I already know.

I was sooooo ticked off. Two hours of driving time and an hour waiting there for NOTHING.

In general, though, they are pretty good about getting back to you, etc. Dr. B is very busy. He seems rushed sometimes. But he is a good dr. and he knows his stuff.

Hope this helps.

Linda