Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stalled at Day 8 and FRUSTRATED

I was banded on Aug 21st - had a 6lbs pre op loss and 11 lbs post op loss - then stalled on day 8 - I'm at day 14 and saw a 2lb gain this morning, I'm thinking due to the sodium in my cream of chicken.< /span>

This is very frustrating. :party:

Is it normal to stall or hit a plateau in the liquid phase?

~Kim

You are getting caught up in the scale trap! DON"T weigh yourself every day. It will fluctuate within several pounds over the course of the day just from fluids. Weigh yourself 1 day a week! Preferable right when you get up in the morning, use the bathroom, and naked! Focus on a weekly loss. Plateau's are common. You'll see that you'll hit a spot, and maybe the scale won't budge for a week, but you'll notice "non-scale" victories, such as your clothes fitting differently, having more energy, etc............. then the next week, that scale will drop down. So don't get hung up on that scale! Some nutritionists actually tell you to get rid of it, but I don't support that philosophy. I think the scale is a good item for weekly feedback to reflect on your eating pattern & exercise. If it moves, you did something right. If it's stuck for a while, we need to re-evaluate what we need to do differently. :party:

You are getting caught up in the scale trap! DON"T weigh yourself every day. It will fluctuate within several pounds over the course of the day just from fluids. Weigh yourself 1 day a week! Preferable right when you get up in the morning, use the bathroom, and naked! Focus on a weekly loss. Plateau's are common. You'll see that you'll hit a spot, and maybe the scale won't budge for a week, but you'll notice "non-scale" victories, such as your clothes fitting differently, having more energy, etc............. then the next week, that scale will drop down. So don't get hung up on that scale! Some nutritionists actually tell you to get rid of it, but I don't support that philosophy. I think the scale is a good item for weekly feedback to reflect on your eating pattern & exercise. If it moves, you did something right. If it's stuck for a while, we need to re-evaluate what we need to do differently. :party:

very good feedback.!.

also, get a tape measure & start taking your measurements. sometimes when the scale wont move, it's nice to see the inches fall - which WILL happen.

Duh!! You ladies are right, I am so focused on the scale at the moment that I didn't take into account the "non-scale" victories. This normally sane woman has been wrapped up in the numbers.

**Makes mental note to make Fridays her weekly weight in.**

Lulu - how are you doing with your 5K training? You do realize that running becomes an addiction, it starts with the 5k's then builds to the 10k's, next thing you know you're signed up for a 1/2 marathon!! You Go Girl!!

Edited by MarinaBleu

I was banded on Aug 21st - had a 6lbs pre op loss and 11 lbs post op loss - then stalled on day 8 - I'm at day 14 and saw a 2lb gain this morning, I'm thinking due to the sodium in my cream of chicken.

This is very frustrating. :)

Is it normal to stall or hit a plateau in the liquid phase?

~Kim

Kim

I just got banded on August 20th and I find myself weighing myself daily, sometimes more then once a day. I think I am getting obsessed with numbers as well. I think it has alot to do with just being so excited that i have actually lost weight. I am going to weigh myself weekly and try not to worry so much about the actual number. I did notice that my clothes are big on me, which is such an AWESOME feeling. I would rather see that, then the numbers going down. I have lost 25lbs so far, over the last 3-4 weeks including my pre-op diet. I am not just starting to eat real food, and I noticed already I have gained a pound or 2 back. I think its to be expected. I knew it couldn't be THAT easy lol! Keep up the good work, stay focused and before you know it we will be those successful stories on here! :unsure:

Marina, you will hit many, MANY plateaus on your weigh down. Don't let them get you down. Here's how to handle it....when the scales keep showing you the same digits, walk to the mirror, cup your hand up to approximate how LITTLE you can eat. Take your other hand and gesture from head to toe while you look yourself in the eye and say, "You can't maintain all of THIS", gesture up and down, "on just THIS little bit", show self the hand, "so you're gonna have to let some of THIS", gesture up and down again, "GO!"

Then wait for your body to figure that out.

Remember -- your body is doing exactly what it was designed to do -- MAINTAIN, MAINTAIN, MAINTAIN. Only problem is you want it to maintain at a different number and it really likes the number it is at.

When it realizes you are right, it can't maintain your current weight with so little intake, it will let go of a few pounds at a time and then FIGHT< FIGHT< FIGHT to maintain THAT new weight.

I definitely agree that you need to step off the scale for a while. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

Also, One thing I noticed early on was that even when the scale was not budging, I was getting a lot of comments about my weight loss both from those who knew about the surgery and those who didn't. It was strange to me because the comments came despite the fact that the scale wasn't moving. Then I noticed my clothes were getting looser.

<o:p></o:p>

While it is exciting to see loss in the beginning, remember that this period is REALLY about healing...not losing weight. The weight loss is just a bonus and should not be your focus right now. Hang in there...the scale WILL move again!

I love this site. I am sitting here reading the comments re: plateaus. I have been plateaued for a few weeks and I was starting to feel down. I thought that the scale would have moved by now (it has been 3 weeks or so). However, I did have people say that it looks like I have lost more weight, even tho I haven't. I think my body is just re-arranging. Plus I have been exercising for the last 2 weeks and I wonder if I have been gaining some muscles (I did push-ups for the first time in my life last week!)

I also have gotten in the habit of getting on the scale everyday. My husband even hid the scale from me at one point!!! So I will try not to weigh everyday. Thanks for the great comments on this page!!! Good luck to everyone.

Guys plateau too!

I've hit many plateaus during the last ten months. Try to take the longer view. I lose around 7-8 pounds a month, including the day to day plateaus. Try to stay positive and motivated.

Lulu - how are you doing with your 5K training? You do realize that running becomes an addiction, it starts with the 5k's then builds to the 10k's, next thing you know you're signed up for a 1/2 marathon!! You Go Girl!!

i keep hearing that it becomes an addiction...right now its a chore, but i do it because it more than helped the weightloss & my legs are looking great doing so.

i train twice a wk w/my trainer; half that time is 30min running intervals outside. another 2 days, i run on my own with weight training. i try to get to the gym 5/6 days a wk.

in the meantime, once a wk weigh in is probably a good thing.....:)

So much great advice!! Thank you all for taking the time to give a shout out, I really appreciate the input and support. It helps put everything into perspective. I guess it just goes to show how much food still has control of my life.

Lulu, check out Jeff Galloway's Book On Running Second Edition. He has training charts if you have a specific goal time that you want to finish your 5K in.

It's also an easy to read reference book for when your running addiction kicks in :thumbup: