Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELP I need answers

I was banded on July 31 and will have my first fill on Sept 18th. For the last two weeks I have been eating like there is no tomorrow. I evidently do not have any restriction because I am eating just like I did before I was banded. Is this normal? I did good on the pre and post surgery diets but since I don't have any pain or restriction it's like I can't get enough to eat. I never feel full. Does anyone have any suggestions, I'm scared that something is not right. Will this stop when I get my first fill?:thumbup:

Hi, I dont know how to answer your question because im only 5 days post-op BUT i have heard from ALOT and i mean ALOT of people that the time before your first fill is considered "BANDSTER HELL" because you feel completly back to normal like you could eat the way you did before surgery. So this was something that i was ready for so i sure hope its normal. I'll be reading up on the replies but im pretty sure its normal.

This is totally normal. Most Drs do not fill your band before they put it in. They just fill it and let the fill out to make sure it doesn't leak. The first six weeks after surgery is supposed to be for healing. Most Drs will not do a fill until after six weeks. The first two weeks after surgery, you are swollen and that is why you may not have been hungry.

Sorry to tell you this, but it is unlikely that the first fill will make that much difference. The WLS we chose is a slow losing surgery, which in my opinion is healthier if you can be patient. We are adjustable and it can take a while to get to that "sweet spot" when you have the right restriction. Some people have to go back and forth filled, then unfilled, but you will get there. The good news is that since we are adjustable, it is less likely that we will stretch our pouch so the weight will stay off. Don't worry- just take it easy and read, read, read- if you want to learn more. This site is full of information! Good luck! Feel free to PM me if you have any other ??.

It is normal to feel no restriction before your first fill. But it's up to you to control your portion sizes and the amount you eat right now. Don't try to eat til you are full...eat the amount of food you've been told to by your surgeon or nutritionist, make sure you are taking at least 15-20 minutes to eat, then when you have finished that amount of food STOP and notice...are you hungry anymore? Not "are you full" but "are you still hungry". There is a difference.

When I finish my 1/4 cup of tuna salad and 12 low-fat wheat thins, do I feel like I could eat some more? Yes, I do. Do I want to eat some more? Yep - I love food. But am I still hungry? So far, the answer has always been a definite NO. And THAT is the question I am having to train myself to use - "am I still hungry". The other two will almost always be answered yes, unless I have stuffed myself until I am uncomfortable...and that's how I got this way to begin with.

When I hit the "sweet spot" in my band restriction I imagine, from what I read from the long-timers, that the feeling full part will come. But in the meantime I'm getting through "bandster hell" by sticking to the food plan I've been given. By golly, I'm gonna make this work! You can too!

I was in the same place as you and yes it is Bandster Hell!!! You just have to watch what you eat and try to control the portion amt. It does get better....I promise!!!!! Good luck!!!!

wow-so glad i read this -i'm definately in bandster hell.

i dont feel full and have been adjusted twice. i feel i can eat anything.

i was banded may 22, adjusted twice with one cc each time. only lost 18lbs and its been over 3 months.

i go for a fill on sept 8th so hopefully i will be filled more and find that sweet spot- thanks for sharing the info

I was banded on July 31 and will have my first fill on Sept 18th. For the last two weeks I have been eating like there is no tomorrow. I evidently do not have any restriction because I am eating just like I did before I was banded. Is this normal? I did good on the pre and post surgery diets but since I don't have any pain or restriction it's like I can't get enough to eat. I never feel full. Does anyone have any suggestions, I'm scared that something is not right. Will this stop when I get my first fill?:thumbup:

I had my band put in about a year ago and felt exactly then as you do now. I believe the reason why you can eat a lot now is because the swelling from your surgery has settled and you do not have any restriction at the moment. Hence the food going down quite easily. Don't stress or worry about this, you will slowly start to feel the restriction more and more each time you have a fill in. Believe me you will definately notice the difference after a few fill ins. I really started to notice the difference once I had about 5-6 mls put in. I use to "hoover" down my food & now I eat like a bird....well maybe a medium sized bird. :laugh: