Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

with NO insurance, what does this thing actually cost???

Go with the doctor with the best reputation and with whom you feel most comfortable. In the Houston metro area, there are many doctors, many WLS centers, etc. and prices vary greatly. I was just fortunate that the doctor I was most impressed with because of his credentials (and he trained most of the lap band surgeons in Houston) was also one of the most reasonably priced with the best follow up care.

I am going to be banded in October by Dr. Kirshenbaum (lapbandrockies.com). The total cost (less the airfare) is $9950. He is trying to give people an alternative to having it done in Mexico - not that there is anything wrong with that.

I have had my phone consultation with him and he sounds awesome. He said that he will give all his patients his cell number and to call any time.

You might want to check out the thread "considering Dr. Kirshenbaum in the Doctors forum. There is alot of good information about him there.

Good luck!

I highly recommend if you are NOT having your surgery locally that you find an after care center for fills, problems and find out what those costs are. You can't fly to your doctor every time you need a fill/unfill so you need to feel comfortable with local follow up care which I've heard can be difficult if you got surgery out of town.

can you be turned away for not being "big enough"? with a BMI of 38, i should be approved for the surgery right? i'd hate to do all this research only to find out i've gotta have a BMI of 40 or higher.

can you be turned away for not being "big enough"? with a BMI of 38, i should be approved for the surgery right? i'd hate to do all this research only to find out i've gotta have a BMI of 40 or higher.

check your insurance policy. A lot of them require some comorbidities if you are under 40 BMI. high blood pressure, sleep apnea, diabetes, vascular problems, any other health issue ight be considered one for your insurance. Check your policy really closely

If you are self-pay most surgeons will accept you at 40 lbs overweight but if you are going through insurance, then each insurance plan has it's own requirements.

And remember if you choose Mexico, make sure you know someone local to you that will agree to do your fills/unfills if needed. I think that really helps Mexico banded patients.

The charges in total for the band with all the pre-op stuff through my phsyician, including overnight hospital stay is around $18,000.

ok, now i'm starting to get discouraged. i've emailed 2 doctors in my area (Raleigh, NC) and gotten 2 quotes - $23,100 and $23,500. there's no way it can be that expensive in this area, and a good $6,000 cheaper in other states????

:eek:

:P

I just got my bill and i have insurance but the bill was 31,000 dollars for everything I am hoping and praying my protion wont be to much =)) But it is well worth it at least I am on my way to being healthy!! :P

ebvillal, I just got a letter from my insurance company today (it came since my last post in this thread). Now when I looked into getting the lap Band like I said, I was quoted $17,500 for the whole package. I have paid out of pocket, the psychiatrist $500 and the initial visit of $375 plus a $3,000 down payment to the surgeon required prior to surgery. I have also paid through insurance for the upper GI and the bloodwork and EKG.

The letter I got today was a CC of a letter they sent to the hospital concerning their portion of the bill. They were writing to say that the hospital sent a statement but they needed a detailed bill. Anyway , the bill amount was mentioned in the letter and it was over $29,000.00!!!:eek:

I am going to watch closely to see how this turns out. The hospital amount plus what has already been paid comes to about $35,000.00--double what was quoted. Plus there was and additional $4,000.00 charged to insurance for the surgeon assistant that was refused by insurance and written off by the doctor. Now I did have hernia repair too but that shouldn't have doubled the bill. I am going to ask for a detailed bill too so that I can see what exactly was invoiced. I am sure the insurance company will get that amount reduced. If they get from the insurance company anything above and beyond what was originally quoted, I at least want my $3,000 deposit back!

I got my band done in Italy with Dr. Favaretti and Dr. Segato. They are leading lap band surgeons who trained many american and mexican doctors. LAP-BAND: Laparoscopic Obesity Surgery Cost

It was 12,000 US for everything to do with surgery, hospital tests etc... You just have to pay to get to venice. If you can find good aftercare near your house this is a great option. The are amazing Doctors. They like you to stick around for a few days after you are released from hospital to keep an eye on you but you could combine it with a vacation and enjoy italy.

did i read your signature right? you got your band 8 days ago and have already lost 26lbs???? :eek::P

jmegirl, I lost 21 pound preop, gained 6 the day of surgery, and then lost that 6 plus 5 more recently. I just can't believe I gained during surgery and then it took 4 days+ to take it off. But the scale is moving again now.

ok, now i'm starting to get discouraged. i've emailed 2 doctors in my area (Raleigh, NC) and gotten 2 quotes - $23,100 and $23,500. there's no way it can be that expensive in this area, and a good $6,000 cheaper in other states????

That is very high, compared to what I'm paying in Richmond, VA. My fee is $13,500 as an outpatient. It was more to stay overnight (I think around $18,000). The hospital is a Center of Excellence, and the price includes fills for one year.

Edited by kiz

flights to Houston - $2,400

surgery - $12,900

Atkins shakes - $70.00

feeling good and being healthy - priceless

I am having my surgery done in Houston too - $12,900 - that is all pretests - EKG and bloodwork (didn't have to do all of the psych, nutritionist, etc. because I am self-pay) This includes all my follow up visits and 10 fills. I found many advantages to the self-pay route and feel very lucky that I am able to do it this way. I am blessed. I would have done anything to have this surgery done.

I am being banded by Dr. Kirshenbaum (lapbandrockies.com) on Sept. 24th. The total is 9950 plus airfare and hotel. It seems like that is a lot less than what you are being quoted in N.C.

Shoot them and email they ROCK!!