Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

for all of you who are thinking about getting this...

i am exactly one week post-op today. if you are thinking about getting this surgery make sure you are completely prepared. i thought i was and im miserable. i feel fine i dont have any pain at all really. you prepare yourself and think your ready to follow all the rules. well let me tell you i am miserable because all ive been eating is applesauce and pudding because i am on the liquid diet. im pissed off at everyone and i shouldnt be but i am. seriously think about it and make 100% sure that you are really ready for this. you would never realize how many food commercials and advertising is for a tasty mcdonalds cheeseburgher

Sorry you're having a rough go of it. food commercials are evil. Don't watch them while you're not able to eat solids. That's just torture.

It is good to be prepared. I was all geared up and ready to have a hard time with my post-op diet and there were moments when I was resentful at the food my family could eat, or that the tv was touting, but overall, I was surprised how well I was able to handle it. The first week post-op was hard, but more from surgery pain and stuff. It does get easier. Hang in there. :smile2:

It gets so much easier as you go! Believe me, I remember how it feels. You start to question whether or not you can make it and why you did it to begin with. Remember why you made the decision to do it, and stay focused on that. I don't even crave the same things I did before. The hardest part for me is not being able to drink perrier or club soda. But, it's well worth the trade off.

Why are you only eating applesauce and pudding? There is all kinds of stuff you can eat on the liquids part. Have you tried low sodium broth, (chicken, beef, vegetable), V-8 juice, Protein shakes, LF or FF milk, pear or peach sauce (similar to applesauce, at Trader Joe's, watch the sugars), yogurt (I prefer Greek yogurt), small curd cottage cheese (not sure you can do this on liquids, some can), Tomato Soup, etc.? There's all kinds of things you can do to change things up. I have a whey Protein Isolate powder that I can add to anything to get more protein in. The hot stuff though has to cool before I can add it or it curdles, so be careful. Experiment and have fun with it. It's only temporary so hang in there!

BTW, how long on are you on this phase? I'll be 2 weeks on shakes, then 2 weeks full liquids/purees. Surgery is Monday.

Sorry you're having such a tough time. Does your surgical center offer any counseling? Many have psychologists trained to help us because of our specific issues. Otherwise I agree...turn off the commercials, don't watch them. The odds are that in the future you actually CAN have McDonalds if you want some; you'll just be satisfied with less. For now, you need to let your insides heal. Hang in there!

I have been designing my battle plan for that time period. I am pre-recording my shows on dvr so I can skip the commercials. I am also going to make sure I have a fresh stock of movies from the video store to eliminate more commercials.

I also know how to get just about anywhere in town without going down the main food drag where all the good smells are.

You know what helped me five days out.. I ate some refried Beans with sourcream and mixed it all up.. totally filled me up and it was pretty liquidy. I got mine from Taco Bueno, but they might not have that place where you live. A little chili sauce added made them semi-runny. Protein and filling..

Awww I'm sorry you are having such a hard time. I have heard that depression can sink in after surgery and since I already struggle with depression I hope mine doesn't get worse.

Have you tried eating some different things? Since you're on full liquids you can have protien shakes, broth, and the drinkable yogarts. Things like that.

Also maybe getting out and moving around will help. Call some friends and get together with them.

Just some ideas! I hope you feel better soon!

I had a hard time sticking to mushys, I was supposed to be on them for 4 weeks. I cheated by a few days. I got a huge jar of no sugar added applesauce too, and was into it when I was still supposed to be on liquids and it tasted so good. I would just have a tablespoon when I couldnt stand liquids any more.

I noticed the commercials on tv too.

Guess what?? Its still hard. I didnt have paperwork to show my fill doctor the size of my band and she didnt believe it was 10 cc, so she only gave me a 1.8 cc fill and I cant go back for 6 weeks, its still all will power baby. I am still so dissapointed in the fill. Had they told me they needed my paperwork I would have brought it.

Anyone who says having the band, its going to be easy to lose weight, so far Id say its just like any other diet, and so hard, but Im still sticking to it. Im determined.