Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ack! Need some help here :)

Hey everyone. I haven't even gotten as far as posting my intro yet so I'll give a little background info here. :thumbup: My name is Randi, I'm 23, and I have 2 beautiful children. Two beautiful children who assisted in adding almost 60 lbs to my body over the past 4 years. (gulp)

So I tried to read to the FAQs, but honestly, I'm just way too ADD-ish to focus long enough to get through it. I blame exhaustion. :)

Soooo basically, I'm 23, 5'3 (almost), and just over 280 lbs. (ugh). I want to look into getting the lap band because I have yo-yoed back and forth between 210 and 280 since I was 18 and can't ever seem to get less than 210 and I can't seem to keep it off once I get there.

I don't even know where to start. So I'm wondering how all of you got started, what did you have to do with your family doc before being referred to a surgeon, did you have a lot of trouble with your insurance company (I have southern health), how long from the time you initiated the talk with your doc before having the surgery?

LOL I have a lot of questions I suppose so any help would be appreciated. My mom had gastric bypass about 10 years ago and has had nothing but trouble from it so I know I don't want to go that extent. I love of the lap band is done laproscopically (sp?) and how it's reversible if need-be.

Okay, done writing my book. I could go on for HOURS, but I'll spare you all the neverending questions and mind wandering.

Thanks in Advance!

What I did...google Lap Band and read up on it (there is a website)

I went to a seminar

I read several local surgeon's web pages

I am reading the book "Weight Loss Surgery with the Adjustable Gastric Band"

I've thought about it since 2001 when the band hit the market

I tried all other avenues I could think of, including a behavioral therapist for 10 months.

It's a HUGE decision...

I went to me family dr telling him I was interested in getting LB. He was not for it. So I did my 6 mo supervised diet with him, just to prove I had a hard time losing weight. After I lost a few #'s in 6 mo. He realized that I was serious about LB. He gave me a recommendation letter for ins purpose and I was on my way to see the surgeon. I met with him at the end of Jan 08 and had surgery Mar 24, 08. Good luck in your choice. I'm sure you will find all your answers here.

Hi, I started reading about it over a year ago. As others have suggested I read everything I could on the internet. I spent hours here reading the good the band and the ugly! You can search subject at the top of the page. When I was pretty sure I wanted to go through with it I asked my cardiologist. He was very much for it but stressed that my life style must change in order to have it work. That it is a very good tool. I then asked my OB/GYN and he too was very supportive and told me it would be great for me. After that I just went for it! Friday is the day! Good luck!

I too like many had thought of wieghtloss surgery for yrs. I had this Dr. # for 5yrs. I went to the seminar 2yrs ago. Wasnt ready. This past summer I am finally ready. I researched found a dr. who does both the gastric and lapband here in my town. Made an apt went for a consult. His office set up my other appts that day. I had the cardiologist and Pulmonary the next day, got a letter of necessity from my primary at the end of the week. Saw the nutritionist 2wks ago, just waiting on approval. I read the dr background. I asked alot of Quest. Write them down as you prepare for your appt so you are ready to ask. Most ques I had where answered during the consult before I had a chance to ask. Good luck.

Maranda

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 0 replies
    • Mr.Kantos

Just signed up. Feeling optimistic.
      · 0 replies
    • Frugal

Welcome to Frugal Testing, where we are committed to revolutionizing the software testing landscape with our efficient and affordable solutions. As a pioneering company in this field, we understand the challenges faced by startups, small to medium-sized businesses and any organization working without budget constraints. Our mission is to deliver top-notch testing services that ensure the highest quality of software, all while keeping your costs in check.
      Frugal Testing offers a comprehensive suite of testing services tailored to meet diverse needs. Specializing in different types of testing including functional testing, automation testing, metaverse testing and D365 testing, we cover all bases to guarantee thorough software quality assurance. Our approach is not just about identifying bugs; it's about ensuring a seamless and superior user experience.
      Innovation is at the heart of what we do. By integrating the latest tools and technologies, many of which are cutting-edge open source solutions, we stay ahead in delivering efficient and effective testing services. This approach allows us to provide exceptional quality testing without the high costs typically associated with advanced testing methodologies.
      Understanding each client's unique needs is fundamental to our service delivery. At Frugal Testing, the focus is on creating customized testing strategies that align with specific business goals and budget requirements. This client-centric approach ensures that every testing solution is not only effective but also fully aligned with the client's objectives.
      Our team is our greatest asset. Composed of skilled professionals who are experts in the latest testing techniques and technologies, they bring dedication, expertise and a commitment to excellence in every project. This expertise ensures that our client’s software not only meets but often exceeds the highest standards of quality and performance.
      Frugal Testing is more than just a service provider; we are a partner in your success. With a blend of quality, innovation and cost-effectiveness, we are here to help you navigate the complexities of software testing, ensuring your product stands out in today's competitive market. 
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches