Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

please help me with friends and family

Help I try to explain to friends and family that we are doing this to improve my husbands life but I keep getting negative feed back because we are going to Mexico. I explain that is the only way for us to afford it . They say wait and save more then have it done. Some say it dangerous to go to mexico. Isay its dangerous for my husband to remain overwieght. They say the doctors in mexico are not as experianced as u.s docs I say they've been doing it almost twice as long.They say mex docs are not educated as well as us docs I say WHAT! have you seen some u.s state education records.

I have one friend that just had it done in u.s (ins paid for his) His wife is a medical assistant and I cant seem to shut her up she says thers no way she'd ever go to mexico now my friend is worried about my husband just because his wife says it to risky!

my problem is I dont know how to make my point without "paper proof" can someone out ther give me some actual comparisons between u.s and mexican docs, and surgery results for the lap band I hve searched myself but all I find is stuff from places trying to get me to buy something.

thanks

vanesa

p.s. My husband has surgery in oct with dr. Jose rodreguez

Wow I know people have surgery in Mexico but I'm one of those who prefers US Docs, so I can't help you there. I agree with your friends. Wait and save enough (or get a loan) so you can have it done locally. It's no more than the cost of a small car. If he's worth a trip to Mexico to have it done, he's worth a few more thousand.

so if he dies waiting to save up more then I can use it to bury him?

do you know how long we had to save now!!!! and how many times hes been hospitalized as a diabetic?

No of course I don't know that. I do know, living on the border, people who have died of poor care in Mexico.

Whatever decision you and your husband make, you don't need to justify it to anyone else. You are adults and you do not need permission from anyone. So just tell people you researched it, and made your decision, case closed.

For Billy:

I'm not sure where you are located or how much you are paying in Mexico but here is an option. Dr.Kirshenbaum in Aurora,CO does lapband surgery for $9950. Yes, this is all inclusive and includes everything, unless there are complications. He will even do a consultation over the phone. If you think this is something you might be interested in, you can PM me and I can give you more details. :biggrin: Dr. K is doing my surgery on 10/1. Good Luck!:blink:

We never really know what danger we put ourselves in until we actually do it. Just please be sure to do enough researching with which ever surgeon you decide to go with! God bless you thru your journey together!

Hi Vanessa, I am going to Mexico on Monday 8/25 to be banded. Trust you me I have done A LOT of research and it is very safe and acutally alot of the dr's are trained in the US. I was weary at first thinking it's going to be rusty needles & dirt floors but that so isn't the case. My friend just got back from being Banded a week ago and said the clinic she had hers done in was clean and the staff was professional and very nice. She is doing great!

I know you want the support of your friends and family but sometimes it's not worth trying to convience them that this is the BEST plan for you. Let them think what they want because they haven't done as much research as you so they are speaking without knowledge. Just be sure to YOUR homework.

You can check out Bariatric Surgeon Profile - Jose Rodriguez

and print that out to show your friends & family some cold hard facts.

I have a couple of friends and family who don't think I should do this either, so I just don't talk to them about it.

Good luck!!

Carramia

I understand your situation. My parents were fine with the decision to go to Mexico. We told our boys and their spouses that I was having surgery and they were very supportive UNTIL they heard we were going to Mexico. The youngest did not agree with it but he did not give us any trouble. The oldest was a different story. My husband finally had a talk with him and he calmed down. I told him I trusted God to take care of me. If it was my time to go then I could pull out of my drive way and get hit by another car and get killed or something else.

To ease your mind. Dr. Rod. did my surgery on July 25, 2008. We did not tell our friends because we did not want a problem. The hospital was cleaner than any hospital I have been in here in the US. The only problem I had was the language. Dr. Rod speaks good English and several of the nurses but everyone else has a hard time understanding or speaking. They do give you a sheet with phrases in english and spanish...that helped. Also there is a girl (Lopita) you will meet her when you get there. She speaks fantastic english and you can reach her any time. I also had a facilitator that I adored. She called and helped with some questions I had. Also, you are on a floor with only americans. We were able to use our cell phone without extra charges. That was a help for our boys. They kept in constant touch with us. I made a lot of friends while I was there and I like that you stay in the hospital the whole time. You don't get released to go right home or to a hotel. If you have any questions I would be happy to answer them....what to take, what to expect, etc... Good luck with the family.

so if he dies waiting to save up more then I can use it to bury him?

do you know how long we had to save now!!!! and how many times hes been hospitalized as a diabetic?

There are many good doctors in Mexico. My concern would be aftercare though. Many doctors stateside won't take patients that they didn't operate on. Do you have an aftercare doctor lined up already or funds set aside for travel back to Mexico?

One of my co workers also had the band in Mexico. She had it a little less than a year ago. Her band is almost the same as mine but the placement of the port is a little different. She is doing pretty well but says the doctor will give her a fill anytime she wants. That is pretty unsafe because if it gets too tight than his stomach will completely swell shut. She also had a lot less rules and regulations I had. If you think about it, your husband could get sick because his body wouldn't respond the same way or he could have complications. Its not fully worth it because there is that possibility something could happen to him. I mean my co worker is fine but you never know.

Good luck

There are many good doctors in Mexico. My concern would be aftercare though. Many doctors stateside won't take patients that they didn't operate on. Do you have an aftercare doctor lined up already or funds set aside for travel back to Mexico?

This is a point that I wanted to make. Personally I wouldn't go to Mexico but I wouldn't judge your decision to go. You are an adult and you know what is best for you and there are plenty of people here that have had their surgery ther. But I do remember not too long ago someone came here and told their story of going to Mexico and having some pretty serious complications, not necessarily caused by going to Mexico but the issue was that doctors here didn't want to deal with the complications because the surgery was done in Mexico. Just be sure you think about complications and after care...have a good plan in case there are issues like infection, slippage, malfunctions etc.

Not sure what doctor your friend used. The one I used will do fills but it requires you to stay overnight I believe. Plus, they encouraged all patients to use fill centers of America here in the states and gave info. for you to contact them before surgery. I personally contacted a doctor close to me (whom I could not afford for surgery) and he is going to take care of me for fills and problems. I would not go back to Mexico for fills simply because of the cost. I also have a family doc. who knew what I was doing and was very supportive of it and he was willing to help me if complications arose once I got back...luckily they have not.

I had read on one of the boards that surgeons from the United States actually went over to Mexico to be trained for lap band surgery. I googled this and found a Dr. Ortiz from Mexico who actually trains United States surgeons here in the United States.

I am not recommending him or anyone from Mexico because I would be lying if I said I knew about their qualifications. Below are links that I found so that you can read up on it. I am fortunate to have insurance that will pay for the surgery. I would probably consider going there myself if I was self pay. From what these sites say this surgeon is one of a small group of surgeons that done more WLS surgeries than United State surgeons and if this is true than here's your proof about the experience level.

Lap-Band For Life - The New Lap-Band Book by Dr. Ariel Ortiz

Lap Band Surgery in Mexico - Dr. Ariel Ortiz at the Obesity Control Center

I cannot begin to imagine how you feel but I wish you all the best with this. You should be number one in your life right now I know I am. I did not decide to have WLS for anyone but myself. Just make sure like everyone here has said you do all the research necessary.