Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

???-4th day out & Black

Hi all well today is Tuesday my 4 day out. I had a scare Sunday during the day I saw my port area & it was TREMENDOUSLY Black & Blue & kinda veiny-red. Also it had an outer area ring 1/2 way around that was red & very hot. I figured an invection was setting in. I ice-packed since Fridays surgery & continued until Monday when I told the sec. that I had to see the Doc. I went in & he said I had the most bruising he'd seen in a patient - BUT that he tried to make my port insicion really small to make me happy(Ididn't ask him too) & that thats probably why the extra bruising. I should also tell you my family brusies VERY easy. He did a mini sonar-thingy & said I still had alotof Fluid in there (My port area is Very distended) & I also had a Hemoraahage-THATS NOT THE RIGHT WORD- I can't remember , He said I had alot of Blood inside & it had kinda filled the area. He said more than likely it would self-dispurse over time.

So I said "So I don't have to worry?"

Than he said"well yes you do- but there isn't anything right now I will do because you just got out of surgery."-

Than I said "But your said it may dispurse & if it does I'll be fine?"

He said"yes" So I said again

"Than I don't need to worry right?" I said- I was confused at the end.

The only thing I really understood was my next appt was June 13 & he said if I was feeling fine to wait 5 to 6 weeks before I came in. that I understood. But I am going in wether I am good or not on the 13th.

So Monday was a bad day - was extremely nauseous most of the day(to the point of tears)- not drinking enough calories & worried. I hope today will be better. My Mom left yesterday & I am alone.

Just wondering how many if any of you had a distened port area & any internal blood collecting? If so did it go away & did you heal up fine? My stomach has of late last nite & this morning is now the color of pure BLACK in the post area. I'll take a photo & post soon. Thanks in advance for your input.

By the way the stomach noises started late last nite & stopped around 4 am when I had some boost. they were so loud my dog kept pushing his nose on my side wondering where was the squeeky toy? They didn't hurt - infact they kinda felt tickalish.

Here are the photos:

post-204247-13813131815609_thumb.jpg

post-204247-13813131815806_thumb.jpg

post-204247-13813131815957_thumb.jpg

I had pretty bad brusing Christinia. When I bruse I tend to have so purple it might as well be black, which generally fade to green. mmmmmm yummy.

Poor Baby! I was wondering why we hadn't heard from you. I didn't have either of those problems and I hope it's only temporary. I did have the nauseousness, it was due to the pain meds while I was in the hospital. If you're still taking pain meds try cutting back or have your doctor switch to something else. I didn't need the pain meds once I went home. My port is very distinct, it does not protrude, but the entire area around it is and has always been puffy. I think it's more my enlarged liver than the port.

I sure hope you start feeling back to your ol happy self real soon.

Oh yes, good gross yukky pics of ports are the BEST! Please post pics! Jack, of course, is right about how it should look a little lighter every day. You will be able to tell if your bruise is dispersing. Did the doc give you any antibiotics?

Take care, don't wander too far now that your mom is gone. Don't make us worry!!

It worries me that the area is red & warm. I had normal, colorful bruising, but I'm not sure your bruising and the red/warm situation are even related. It might be two separate issues, and the bruising will probably go away. It's the warm-to-touch redness that bothers me since that's exactly what happened to me a few days after surgery. I kept bothering my surgeon, who said it was normal. But it's NOT normal, it's infection (in my case.) As far as all that Fluid disbursing, do not freak out of the incision opens and the wound drains. Mine drained and scared the hell out of me, but it's normal for the body to release the Fluid. I would get a second opinion right away. I know that's not what you want to hear, but I can't agree that your body will disburse that amount of fluid, cause that's what they kept telling me. Then I found out that your body will absorb & eliminate small amounts after the large amounts drain.

Maybe I'm completely wrong, but better safe than sorry. I'm the girl that had two ports removed due to infection, so I think you should get a second opionion.

I hope you're better soon. PM me your number if you'd like me to call you tonight. Sucks that your mom left, but we are all here.

you might want to increase your vitamine C, since that helps with healing in general, but also helps with brusing.

(you should have seen the amazing bruses I got in my Tae Kwon Do class...)

Is it a hematoma that you have? It's kind of like a blod clot under the skin, and are they OUCHIE! I sure hope you feel better soon!

Christina I'm sorry to hear you are having some problems. Just consentrate on getting in enough liquids. Calories will come later. I hope your bruising gets better and call the Dr. back if you feel something isn't right... DON"T WAIT!!! Question him and get a second opinion if you feel it is needed.

Is it a hematoma that you have? It's kind of like a blod clot under the skin, and are they OUCHIE! I sure hope you feel better soon!
Yes - thats what he called it. I had alot more nauseua this afternoon & called the Doc back. He said he "thinks " its the drugs I am on & is switching me to Telenol #3. I hope that it works. I just took a nap & am going to the local store (5 mins away) to get some.

I also reaffiemed that I was confused when he said "I didn't need to worry about" The hematoma. He said that after the sonagram he di it seemed localized & that has long has it wasn't spreading & since it seemed to be getting darker & not redder that it should be fine. But he "will do the worrying for me" & he will take any action needed has time goes by & for me to just walk & sip & heal & call if needed.

I felt better after speaking to him again & HOPEFULLY tomorrow it will have degressesed in size & started to dia pate. If it looks any worse at all I will go for a second opinion for sure.

Its really weird feeling & definetly feels "full" & sticks out. The other incisions look great. Thnaks for all the thoughts.

VInes- glad to hear I am not the only "bruisier" in the

bunch;0)

Jack- Doc agreed w/you - calories isn't that important at all at this time

Delarla-Jammie & Kathy & Pat- thanks & second opinions are always good. I may even call tomorrow if I don't feel better.

I'm glad your doc has a handle on it, but is it still red & warm? When mine was like that, the Urgent Care doctor lanced it and drained it. I hope your next post shows some improvement.

HI ALL! Well its been 6 days since surgery & I have good news about my bruising & distention. The following is an email i sent the other day because I am still in alot of discomfort & was worried. I feel so much better knowing why things are the way they are & that all should heal with time. Dr.Pleatman is so incredible at returning emails- I just don't know of ANY other Doctor that responds within a hour or sometimes literally within minites. I know I really made a great choice in choosing him. Now I just wish a week could pass so I could feel stronger & stand up more quickly. I still get a little light headed & my gut still needs support when getting up & down & I am still moving pretty slow. I am hoping to improve everyday- its just so slow. Here is the email:

Dear Dr.Pleatman,

The bruising is not what hurts or not what bothers/concerns me. Its the distention of the area which doesn't show in the photos. Are you telling me that the area its self will receed?

If thats the case than I will be more relieved. Is that what your saying? Because it sticks out about an inch or more higher aprox.1 1/2 inches to the right of the port incision. Prior my stomach did not distend like this & my understanding was all work was done below the stomach muscle wall. I just didn't know blood can make it "POP" out this far.

Are you able to guess as to why there is so much blood ( a pint) there? Was there a nick or slight problem?

Thank you very much

Christina

ANSWER:

Yes, it will recede. I was trying to make the incision for the port as small as possible. I have to clear the fascia to suture the port to it. I do this bluntly by sweeping my finger over the fascia to strip the fat away. There are small perforating blood vessels that we tear loose but generally seal off on their own, in your case one of them was evidently large enough that it kept bleeding after we were done. Obviously if I had seen it at the time I would have cauterized it to stop it. This is the price we paid for making the incision a bit smaller. IT WILL GO AWAY!

Mark Pleatman MD

Just wanted you all to know I am healing & haven't been much on the computer- I hope everyone is well & congrats to Megan again on her big goal. Has La madam made her Final goal? Thanks for caring Lisa & all. Penni- Give me a call when you can - I called a few days ago.

I hope to finish off the film soon & post my ugly before shot- nothing fancy there- it was right before the surgery- I am so happy I did this, I can't believe how out of shape I let myself get- NEVER AGAIN!!!

How soon did everyone feel normal again?? I'd like to know. My stomcah is so tight & full & sore because of all the blood. I never asked him to make the port insicion small BUT I guess he thought I'd be happy with a smaller one because I was worried about scaring- I am sure he was only thinking of me & tried to do me a favor- Hopefully it will work out for the better & this extra healing time will be worth it. But honestly from under the steri-strips it looks no smaller than anyone elses;0( So now its a waiting game... I hate waiting games.:0)

Hi Christina, I'm glad to hear you are improving. It's so nice to see others who have doctors who communicate with them when there are fears and worries. Sounds like your Dr. is very good at keeping the lines of communication open. Peace of mind is a great feeling ..Thanks for asking about me reaching goal yet but to answer you NO I havent, Iam actually going in to be refilled( but not to 2.5 like I was before surgery) on June 20th so I can reach that goal with out struggling. Working the band without a fill is challenging at times. Somedays I do great and other days I don't. Iam all healed up from my bowel obstruction surgery so Dr. Ortiz called me and told me I could have a fill anytime. Here is to conituned healing and feeling better each and every day for you :(

Okay Christina, you win. You poor baby! I had about the same color, but mine wasn't nearly as big an area as yours.

((((hugs))))

I don't know about "normal" Christina. I have other special weirdness of my own. Do I feel like I did before having the band? Not only no, but HELL NO! <insert happy dance here> (okay, I've had a couple of days where I felt like death warmed over, but no one has had to call 911 for me.)

I'm building a new "normal."

Went to the Doctor today & got bad news- He said that he could go back in the port area & re-open it to remove all the cloted blood-BUT That really also opens me up for the possiblitiy of an infection.

He said he knew how painful it has been but thinks its best to tough it out for another 2 weeks & even though it won't be gone by than I should (he thinks) begin to feel a little better.

In the mean time its back to vicadin at nite only for pain & maybe ambein to help me sleep through the nite which hasn't happened in ------I don't remember when.

So that is the update- I am not happy but i understand & think hes right about playing the waiting game. He was very sweet & apologized SEVERAL times for missing the bleeder. He felt very bad-which made me respect him more. I just am just soooooooo tored of being tired & distended.

Oh well- much worse could have happened- so I'll count my blessings once more.