Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need a buddy, 9/29/08 date

Hey Pat,

I don't believe there were any pitfalls being banded so close. We had our surgeries about 3 weeks apart. Even more interestingly, we had our surgeries done by two different doctors. I had mine first. What has been interesting is the personal experiences with post-surgery, like the new activities and capabilities. I think my wife gets a little bummed sometimes because I lost a lot of weight quickly. I noticed the more I move around (walking and bicycling), the quicker it comes off.

Talk to ya later

-Mike-

Hi Mike,

thanks for answering. I'm glad you are both doing well. If I may ask, how much have you lost? How much has your wife lost? What has been the hardest change for you to make? Do you do those new things together? Or are your conditioning levels different so you really can't?

I'm looking for things we can do together, that will keep us moving at least on the weekends.

Hope you have a great day.

Pat

Sorry I haven't been able to get to the computer the last couple of days. I plan to sit down tonight and sound off on this forum. I had a few minutes and look at the forum and I wished I hadn't read one of them. It really scares me. Enough of that for now. :eek:

Oh my gosh. I can't believe it is less than a week. I am really feeling the anxiety.... Thank goodness I can tell you all about it and not keep it all to my self. I finally got up the nerve to tell my two sons. Needless to say they were a little concern and really didn't want me to do it. :lol:

I am talking my new daughter our for our last week-end dinner. We are going to eat and go to a movie. She is really a wonderful girl. Her and my son were married only three weeks ago and they have to live apart last week and this week. He got another job on the western part of Oklahoma coaching and she had to give two weeks notice. It has been wonderful having her here with me. I am very lucky to have her as a new daughter. :tongue::teeth_smile:

I will write later and catch up with all.:eek:

Thanks

Katweedy:

How are you doing?? I am less than a week and I am really feeling the nerves starting. What was the hardest part so far. Please keep up posted on your progress maybe we can all help each other.

Pam

Interpresta:

Congrats on you and your wife. I think it would be great to go through all this together. I would love to get your help. I am feeling the nerves at this time, only 6 days to go.

Pat,

Since I started on my journey, I've lost about 135 pounds. My wife has lost 50 pounds from her heaviest and now most of her health issues, as mine, have gone away (ie type 2 diabetes and consistantly high BP). I actually started on this journey intently in July 2007. My doctor required a 10% loss prior to surgery. After surgery, I've lost 73 pounds. The hardest thing is getting to know which foods my body will and will not accept. At first, the foods I was not supposed to be able to eat (i.e. bread, Proteins, vegetables, etc...) I had not problem. As I became more restricted some things I've learn my body doesn't accept. The latest and strangest has been Peanut Butter. When I try to eat more than a teaspoon, I burp burnt Peanut Butter taste. Ewwww. One of the surprising things I didn't have a hard time with was soda. I loved Diet Pepsi. In my serious frame of mind, I did not. nor do not, want more soda which can expand my stomach.

We do a lot together. Bicycling is certainly one of them. We also walk around as much. The difference has been the longevity. I ride further and walk further as well. Most of the time, my son keep up with me. I know, in time, my wife won't have any problems keeping up.

Shopping has been a new experience. I thought it wouldn't be until December before I'd be able to buy "off the rack" from Walmart. Well, it's been happening. The pro's - less expensive than catalog...the con's - it takes money to buy clothes and now we're out of closet space...go figure.

One of the ways I've been able to see a big difference in weight loss is my lunch at work. I can only eat a little and I'm not supposed to really eat for more than 30 mins and I should be full. (The latter I'm still working on...I eat slowly to avoid getting food stuck, but I eat beyond the 30 minutes.) At work, I have a 45 min. lunch, so I eat for 10 mins, and then go for a walk for the remaining time. I do that 4 times a week. I can see a difference when I do and don't.

It's so exciting having the surgery. I would do it again, in a heart beat.

FYI, window shopping is another great exercise.

Edited by interpretasl

Pam,

You are in my thoughts and prayers today and tomorrow! I hope everything goes well and you have a speedy recovery!

Hugs, Pat

Thank you Pat. I am so excited, but scared too. I can't believe it is tomorrow. I found out just a while ago I will be the first one of the day.. lol....No pressure.

It's so exciting having the surgery. I would do it again, in a heart beat.

FYI, window shopping is another great exercise.

Hi, Thanks so much for sharing! Your weight loss is amazing. Your wife's too! You, both, are an inspiration. That is so cool that you are off all your meds. I've read that the learning what your band will or will not accept is challenging but worth it as you said.

I've been thinking about doing the same thing at work, we have a park about a block away and i've been thinking about going there at lunch. I'm sure it will help with my stress as well as weight loss.

I really can't wait to go shopping and buy regular clothes!

I went with my daughter to her first PCP visit this week and he was supportive, altho he admittedly doesn't know much about banding. He tried to tell us that by-pass would maybe be better but neither of us want that! I have my visit next week, so we are on our way.

Thanks again for sharing!

Pat

Fascinating job description. I am envious. Are you in the military or civilian? You two are great band buddies in the respect that you are in good contact. Those of us who are already banded sometimes don't check back quite as frequent. I check my e-mail more frequently and still pop in to the chat room although not as frequent as I did before surgery and right after.

I had surgery on 3/18 and am just 5 months out but am doing well. I lost about 20 lbs before surgery and have lost 54 lbs since surgery. Need to update my ticker. Still have a long way to go but feel good and am feeling good about my progress most of the time.

Would be glad to chat with you as you make your way along this journey. PM me for my email if you want a private chat. I will check back in from time to time.

Cindy

Hi Everyone:

Well I did it and it is over. This is my fourth day and I believe I am doing good. I do not regret going to Juarez, Mexico. The facility was great and so were the doctors and nurses. :laugh::thumbup:

My surgery went well and I was up and walking around the halls in about 2 hours post op. The only pain that I can really say that bothered me is the port site and the gas that seem to float everywhere. However, the pain in manageable and it is not too bad. The band is a 10. cc band with a 4cc minimum. They have already put 1 1/2 cc in during surgery. I wondered if I would feel the band before, but I can't tell its there until I eat. I can eat only very little before I feel full and that is where I stop. :cool2:

I really do appreciate all of you thinking about me the last couple of days, but the real works starts now. :thumbup: