Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking at people differently

As many of you already know my wife and I are both being banded at the end of the month. When we are out we keep looking a thin people and wondering if we will be as thin. Also when we see other overweight people we feel like going up to then and telling them about the band.

Anyone one else analyzing thin people or feel like telling a perfect stranger about the band?

I know what you mean, I find myself noticing heavy people more than I did before and wondering what their story is, how they got heavy, if they are trying to lose or if they've given up like I had. I know when I was there, somebody telling me how they succeeded did nothing for me, I was happy for them but felt so defeated in my own battle that I couldn't see any hope in it for me.

I also notice thin people and wonder about them, are they a lucky one who has always been thin or have they been through something like this?

What I notice most though are the people who are about 40 pounds overweight, I want to tell them to look at me and do something now before it takes over. Though I also know that when I was at that point I knew I needed to nip it in the bud yet I didn't.

Yep, me too and I'm a little embarrassed about it.

It's almost like getting that stupid letter in the mail, looks really personal and all that's in it is some WL ad and a "handwritten" scribble at the top that says something to the effect that thought you might be interested or some such BS.

It's kind of like, how dare someone send something like that to me, so walking up to someone would be along the same lines. That's why I'm embarrassed about even THINKING it!! I DON'T know the person's story and what they've been through. AND how do I know, at any size, if they've BEEN losing weight and just still have that much more to go? If someone looked at me in 6 months would they think I've got to get it together before it gets too bad? Probably. Do they know that I've been heavier and am working on it? No.

So, yes, I'm doing the same thing.

And please don't tell me I'm the only one who has ever gotten those letters! :mad2:

:mad2: I have been doing the same...mind you I do it when I am looking at ideas for my house (like selecting a certain tree or what panels I should have on the garage roller door!)

As for strangers, well the lady at the Medicare office, where I claim back money I've outlayed on my health care, started asking questions when she saw what i was doing because she was curious for herself. I told her she should look into it. I think she might!

See, that's totally different. If someone ASKED me what I was doing, I would tell them. And encourage them to look into the different procedures to see what, if any, might be right for them. :mad2:

Heartfire, I know exactly what you mean. My mother has been mailing me Lap Band articles for YEARS. Now that I'm finally doing it (just found out my insurance just started covering it this year) she kind of acts like she doesn't want me to. I told her that shes been sending me this stuff for years and she said "Yes, but I didn't think you would actually DO it!) WHAT????? Anyway, its something I've been wanting for years so I am completely excited (and scared). I feel like I've had a disease my entire life and I'm finally getting to start the treatment for it in a few days!

I think in my head sometimes - man, they need a lap band too, when I see people. But I know thats wrong. I guess I'm just so happy about this I would like to see everyone else that looks as miserable as me happy too. I know how hard it is to live like that. I would NEVER say anything though. I haven't told many people and don't plan to unless directly asked. I plan to just say "I eat less" when people ask what diet I'm on, etc. Its not a lie. :thumbup:

If someone comes to me and really needs help and really wants to know, I'll tell them.

Oh hell yeah I'm so glad I'm not the only person who is doing that! I also look at anyone my size or over and wonder if they know about the lapband. I watch how much people eat now and am shocked that I used to eat as much or more. I also look at thin people eating like crazy and wonder how long their metabolism will hold up before they expand like I did.

AND I chastise myself all the time for thinking like that! I mean I know nothing about these people or any of their stories, so feel awful about my mind going off on all these tangents on its own!

I DO THE SAMETHING!!! I thought I was the only person that did that. I told my dh about it and he thought I was nuts. I love it here you guys always make me feel normal... LOL

I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I'm actually looking at my hubby like this too. Sure, I now look at everyone when I'm out shopping, but when I'm home and my guy is tucking his shirt under his dunlap and straining to button his pants I think "I wish he would get this too!"

I really hope that anyone that I know who is as seriously overweight as I am will see me on the road to success and ask me for ALL of the details!

My hubby is considering doing this, actually has been thinking about it longer than I have, but he's in the stage where he keeps thinking of reasons not to. Before my decision I went along with his lame reasons because mine were just as lame, but now that I've done it, I'm trying to help him see how much it would help him. If he decides not to for a silly reason, that's his choice and I'll love him just as much, but I'm still working on him!