Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shoulder Pain and Hunger

I had the surgery on the fourth of June. Ever since then, I have had pain in my left shoulder traveling up into my neck. It doesn't occur everyday, but it did not occur before surgery.

Also, I have talked to several people about their fills. My surgeon has mine scheduled 6 weeks apart. I felt hungry 2 weeks after my first fill. The weight is not really coming off. I guess I am just confused. I am trying to eat my Protein first and not drink with my meals. I don't know what else to do, because I am hungry. My blood sugar drops during the day, too. Any suggestions?

Kristi:confused:

Hi Kris - I had that HORRIBLE pain in my shoulder and side/back of neck up until a day or two ago. The only thing I found that would help some (in addition to the pain medication and alleve) is an ice pack up against my should neck. It seemed to make the pain go away some....

Thanks for the reply. I just wonder why my pain is still here after 2 months! I try some pain relievers, and I normally just try to suck it up. I don't like taking too much medication! Thanks again!

Kristi

Kris,

I had my surgery on June 10th, and I too still suffer from the exact pain. It doesn't happen all the time. I tend to notice it when I get real tired and hungry. I don't take anything as I am not a medicine type of person. Laying down usually takes care of it. I ask my surgeon about it and he said it could be related to my hiatal hernia repair??? He wasn't sure and didn't offer much advise. Jules

I am having the same problem and it is driving me crazy...trying to figure out what triggers it and for the life of me I can't! I was banded July 29th and it seems to be getting worse, not better. Sometimes I think its from eating or drinking too fast, but then other times its real bad when there is nothing in my stomach and I wonder if its from being hungry.....(are these my new hunger pains?) If I walk it off I eventually burp and it seems to help, but it is never 100% gone. My dr. said to use a heating pad. It seems to help, but like I said, its never gone.....Any other tricks anyone has will be extremely helpful~ Thanks....Carol

I'm having my surgery with Dr. Curry on Sept. 2nd. On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the worse, how bad was the shoulder pain? I want to know what to expect. I understand this is normal with this procedure, but it was explained to me that it was because of gas in the stomach which I would think would be temporary.

Hi Kris - I had that HORRIBLE pain in my shoulder and side/back of neck up until a day or two ago. The only thing I found that would help some (in addition to the pain medication and alleve) is an ice pack up against my should neck. It seemed to make the pain go away some....

Thanks for the reply. I just wonder why my pain is still here after 2 months! I try some pain relievers, and I normally just try to suck it up. I don't like taking too much medication! Thanks again!

Kristi

I'm sorry you've been having that issue for so long - the nurse said it can just come and go. And honestly, I thought it was some issue I would need to see the chiropractor for originally - until I talked to the doctor's office. I know it hurts realy bad - and the only thing I could do for it was pain meds., walking, and a cold compress over the area. The cold compress REALLY seemed to help - so if you haven't tried that one yet, give it a shot.

Since you've had it for so long, trying calling your DR's office again and asking them if you should be seeing a chiropractor or something? Or if it really is still gas pains?

I hope you're able to get it out of your system soon - I feel for ya!

I'm having my surgery with Dr. Curry on Sept. 2nd. On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the worse, how bad was the shoulder pain? I want to know what to expect. I understand this is normal with this procedure, but it was explained to me that it was because of gas in the stomach which I would think would be temporary.

Hi Health4Life,

Good luck with your surgery. Dr. Curry and his staff are wonderful! I couldn't be happier so far.

My shoulder pain actually did not come on until about 2-3 days post op. When it was just in my shoulder, I'd probably rate more of a 6-7 on the scale, and it was more irritating/annoying than anything. But on those occasions when it moved up into my neck (and sometimes felt like my head and jaw too) that was probably a 9. It was excrutiating. But once I took the pain meds. and used the ice pack, and/or walked around the house or yard - it would get better after some time. The best thing you can do after surgery is walk around as often as possible. I think this helps dissipate the gas/bloating, and I think it helps your incisions from getting as sore too.

Just remember, everyone is different though, and you may not experience this at all. (Hopefully not!)

I'm praying that I don't experience that shoulder pain. I'm glad you had a great experience. I'm looking forward to it. How are you doing with diet and exercise? How has your overall experience been with the surgery.

Hi Health4Life,

Good luck with your surgery. Dr. Curry and his staff are wonderful! I couldn't be happier so far.

My shoulder pain actually did not come on until about 2-3 days post op. When it was just in my shoulder, I'd probably rate more of a 6-7 on the scale, and it was more irritating/annoying than anything. But on those occasions when it moved up into my neck (and sometimes felt like my head and jaw too) that was probably a 9. It was excrutiating. But once I took the pain meds. and used the ice pack, and/or walked around the house or yard - it would get better after some time. The best thing you can do after surgery is walk around as often as possible. I think this helps dissipate the gas/bloating, and I think it helps your incisions from getting as sore too.

Just remember, everyone is different though, and you may not experience this at all. (Hopefully not!)

Hi Kristi,

I was banded on July 24th and after a day or two, started getting that pain in my shoulder and neck. I was told that is from the gas they put in your stomach during surgery. It moves up into your shoulder area creating the pain. Some never get pain, others might have it for six weeks or more. I'm still getting it slightly, every once in awhile and I'm 3 weeks post op.

A week after surgery my dr. said to take ibuprofen every 3 hrs to control the pain and that seemed to help. Good luck!

Judi R.

I had the surgery on the fourth of June. Ever since then, I have had pain in my left shoulder traveling up into my neck. It doesn't occur everyday, but it did not occur before surgery.

Also, I have talked to several people about their fills. My surgeon has mine scheduled 6 weeks apart. I felt hungry 2 weeks after my first fill. The weight is not really coming off. I guess I am just confused. I am trying to eat my Protein first and not drink with my meals. I don't know what else to do, because I am hungry. My blood sugar drops during the day, too. Any suggestions?

Kristi:confused:

Kristi-

I am 2 weeks post-op and still have pain but I take gas-x and walk, walk, walk and it seems to go away. It is happening less and less so hopefully it will be gone soon. I hope you are feeling better soon!

Well, tell the surgeon that I didn't have the hernia! My husband did, and he never has had shoulder pain! They fixed his as well. I don't know why that happens, but it is crazy! I guess mine does seem to hurt when I get home from a busy day at work. Maybe laying down will help me, too. Thanks for the reply and advice! :thumbup: Hopefully it will go away soon!!!

I think the shoulder pain was worse than the surgery! I would say surgery at the worst was 5...shoulder was 7...neck a little higher. I hope everything goes well for you. I would do it again...I just want this to go away! I probably need to talk to my surgeon again, because I didn't have this pain before surgery. My husband had no problems whatsoever and is doing wonderfully! I'm happy he doesn't have the pain!:thumbup: I normally just try to work with it. Good luck with yours! Let us know how it goes!:(

Kristi

I was banded on 1-21-08 and had the shoulder pain. Well, I still have the pain off and on 6 months later. At first, it was caused by the gas left over from the surgery. When that horrible pain subsided, I was left with the intense pain in the shoulder/neck on my left side instead of the radiating pain caused by the gas pressure. It doesn't happen every day and seems to be getting less intense over time. I tend to feel it more when I have eatten and feel really full.

My doctor told me once that there is a nerve that runs from either the stomache or the diaphram (I can't remember which one he said) up into the neck on the left side. I also had a hietal hernia repaired at the same time as the banding so I'm wondering if that was the reason for the pain especially if it is nerve related.

Well, whatever causes it - I wouldn't trade being banded for anything.

Banded: 1-21-08

PreOp weight: 337

Surgery weight: 297

Current weight: 240

I was banded on 1-21-08 and had the shoulder pain. Well, I still have the pain off and on 6 months later. At first, it was caused by the gas left over from the surgery. When that horrible pain subsided, I was left with the intense pain in the shoulder/neck on my left side instead of the radiating pain caused by the gas pressure. It doesn't happen every day and seems to be getting less intense over time. I tend to feel it more when I have eatten and feel really full.

My doctor told me once that there is a nerve that runs from either the stomache or the diaphram (I can't remember which one he said) up into the neck on the left side. I also had a hietal hernia repaired at the same time as the banding so I'm wondering if that was the reason for the pain especially if it is nerve related.

Well, whatever causes it - I wouldn't trade being banded for anything.

Banded: 1-21-08

PreOp weight: 337

Surgery weight: 297

Current weight: 240

Okay! That makes more sense. I did not have the hernia, but my husband did. He had no pain and is doing wonderfully! We were banded the same day. However, I had nerve damage to the left side of my belly button, as you are describing and up through my shoulder. Sometimes the left side of my stomach seems sore. I bet you are correct. It has something to do with the nerve. Thank you for the reply! :thumbup: Awesome progress!