Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What was your preop diet like?

In my reading I see such a variance in the preop diets. I thought mine was hard until I see people on straight liquids for the entire time. I'm on the Optifast 800 14 day preop diet. I use whey Protien instead though. Its different each day and I usually get to eat some veg and some protien. A couple days I even get a fruit and starch. Its mostly shakes but I can have Jello (SF) and Crystal Light. I don't have to do to Clear Liquids until the last day before surgery.

What is/was yours like?

I will be banded on August 25th and my pre-op diet is a liver reduction diet. Three days before surgery start the diet. I have to have two clear liquid meals a day and one regular meal (anything I want.) Then the day before surgery I can have nothing but clear liquids. That is all I have to do before surgery.

I had Optifast for two meals a day and a regular meal once a day. I started with a relatively low BMI though, which is why my surgeon wasn't as strict. Most of his patients, he puts on a full Optifast diet, which is 3 meals replaced by Optifast, with the equivelant of 1 cup of cooked non-starchy veggies allowed as well.

I started out with a similar BMI to Lellow but my doc has made me do the 3 meal Optifast replacement. I can have diet Jelly, one piece of approved fruit, 2 cups of approved vegies.

I'm on day 5, and doing ok...get hunger pangs but I am managing ok.

I have to admit never quite managing to stomache low-joule jelly, even when I was so hungry I was ready to gnaw my arm off. Instead Cauliflower became my friend.

Ro, your starting BMI and mine were almost the same. My Dr wanted me to quit the diet when I lost 3kgs, but I insisted on staying on it. Your Dr is really strict!

Glad to hear you're going okay though.

I'm on two weeks of Protein shakes and veggies. I can also have as much SF Jello, popsicles, and Water ice as I want, as long as it is SF.

However, to be honest I have already cheated some. After reading all the different types of pre-op diets on this forum and realizing that many have a much shorter pre-op diet, especially with lower BMI's I decided I will not follow the diet to the T for the first week. I know I'm bad, but that's my decision. I'm not pigging out or anything like that. My calories each day is between 800 - 1200. Next week I will strictly follow the diet. I may even add an extra day of clear liquids just before the surgery.

I have to have 2 low carb slim fast shakes a day, one 6oz glass of Tomato juice, a frozen meal that is between 20-25 carbs and 300-350 cal. and a 10-15gram carb and 200 calorie snack. I can have all the sf drinks I want and also sf popsicles. Today is day one of 14 and OMG this is harder than I thought, but of so worth it!

I have a pretty high BMI and was put on clear liquids the day before surgery and my liver looked great. I also limited my carbs and sugar intake just so that I can start eating healthy before surgery. I am sure that helped the liver out. I think it all depends on what your surgeon is comfortable with.

I didn't like jelly at all my whole life but anything to fill my belly a bit more is good :) I found the Apple and Cranberry Aeroplane Jelly (diet/lowjoule) is really nice...the orange and mango (tolerable)...I have yet to try the rest (though I am NOT going near the port Wine flavour I consider that one $1.55 lost. Just the smell of the crystals was enough to realise I would hate it!)

I never thought it was good to lose so much weight in a week but hey I'm really NOT complaining :) I figure in a way it is good my doc is strict as it gives me a good start on my weight loss :)

Lamvmomof4, Day ONE was the WORST for me!! It is a little easier now though I am still hungry moreso at night...MIND OVER MATTER..I figure it is good training for the Head hunger though I really don't think I have any head hunger it is all real hunger!:biggrin:

Ro- I here ya! I think my one snack was bad because then I wanted more real food and it was hard to make myself stop! I finally had to just go out and mow the yard LOL Maybe I will have a perfect landscaped and clean house after these 2 wks are done LOL

HAHA I hear you!! i concreted on my day one...though I REALLY don't think that was the smartest choice to make!

This weekend I plan to finish making my new gate and finish cleaning up from the concreting...I don't know why but I just HAD to get this all done before surgery! I have to do some gardening and house cleaning to do too!!

My dad is getting banded the same day as me and he has supposedly gotten all this energy from somewhere (which is annoying mum) so I am roping him in again this weekend to do the gate :biggrin:

I found the Apple and Cranberry Aeroplane Jelly (diet/lowjoule) is really nice...

:biggrin:

The language thing is cracking me up! For those who need translations, Jelly=Jell-O, and lowjoule=low cal. The kg vs. lbs thing was funny, but expected. This stuff is really funny, even though I should have expected it! I grew up an Army brat so I'm used to hearing faucet as spigot, line as queue, and elevator as lift. I've been living as a civilian in the US Southeast so long though that I forgot how nifty it was to hear the differences!

hehe Oh I am sure us Aussies will come up with a few more.

Luckily we have so many American shows and exposure over here we are pretty well across a lot of terminologies used by Americans...although rooting and fanny pack have totally different meaning here :biggrin:.

When I was a cousellor at a Summer Camp in Lenoir NC, I would TOTALLY confuse the kids by saying things like 'Pick up the trash and put it in the bin.' Now they got what I meant and I was trying to be helpful by using some American terminology but then my Aussie terminology would creep in and it was a bit mish mash....They loved it though :) SIGH that was a fun summer!

I'm originally from Hawai'i, where we call the stuff you pick up and throw away "rubbish." You should see what the folks here in NC look like when I ask them to "throw their rubbish out." Dunno why the linguistics are tickling my funny bone today....