Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will there be issues if you eat food to early?

Some of the difference in doctors instructions also has to do with how they placed the band. Some use more stitches than others. There are apparently pros and cons in terms of the number of stitches.

I am certain that if you follow the advice of your surgeon or health care practitioner who is familiar with your medical history, you will have the best chance at success with your band.

Welcome to BandLand........this is a fantastic journey

I don't have stitches I was glued. You can't see the other cuts I have 6 of them...the only one you can see is the one were my port is I guess and then I sat in the sun without thinking and lifted my top up so my stomach would stay tan and my cut turn almost black. But it doesn't look to bad. So everyone is with stitches?

I have no problem eating less as food is not an issue with me nor the cause of my inability to lose weight. I am following what my doctor tells me but I am getting conflicting information and that is why I am questioning this.

No I totally agree....so I have been going to TRUE RESULTS for all of my insurance approval steps, had to have surgery in a near by town because that's "in network" for my insurance. My nutritionist from TR told me Clear Liquids for 2-3days then full liquids from there on. The Nutritionist at surgery center said Clear Liquids for 1 week, full liquids for 1 week. The nutritionists varied quite a bit. I figured I'd go to TR's recommendation since I have spent all this time learning "their way" and will continue w/ them for follow ups and all. :w00t:

I don't have stitches I was glued. You can't see the other cuts I have 6 of them...the only one you can see is the one were my port is I guess and then I sat in the sun without thinking and lifted my top up so my stomach would stay tan and my cut turn almost black. But it doesn't look to bad. So everyone is with stitches?

No...I had surgery yesterday and mine just have "glue gobs" on top of them. They look great, much better than I expected!

Me too that's what they looked like too it's 3 weeks past now

How are you feeling?

Hi everyone...

After reading all the diffient stories I had to post.. I had my band put in on the 18th of August... and on the 19th while in the hospital they gave me mushy food. I was not allowed to be released until they were sure I could tolerate 2 mushy meals...

I was instructed to consume 64 oz of liquid and 45 to 60 grams of Protein a day. My band was stitched to my stomach with 2 stitches and 4 knots and my incisions were stitched on the inside and glued on the outside and then covered with stiri-strips...

Consuming the 64 oz of liquid a day is a real bitch... feel like I am drowning... Protein shakes have been a life saver... I was told to make sure that the shakes had no sugar and no to low carbs...

I have my post op appointment with surgeon tomorrow... wish me luck..

Jo Ann

I had glue too, but what (I think) some people are talking about with "stitches" are the stitches on the insides (also). Some people do still get stitches on the outside too though. The band (mine) is stitched, in one spot to the stomach, and the port is also stitched to the abdominal wall (or muscle?). So I assume that they mean it depends on how many stitches the Dr. used for those things because some doctors vary in their technique.

I wish you good luck tomorrow Jo Ann!

My doctor is very well respected in the field and he only requires one day of liquids, then the next 2 weeks are pureed food, so as long as you were only tasting well-blended food, I'm sure you are fine. They just don't want you to have anything with chunks b/c they would require your stomach to churn too much, and it might disrupt the formation of scar tissue around the band. This scar tissue is important to keep the band in plac.e

The stitches that folks are referring to when they talk about the limited diet are the stitches that actually hold your band in place. Part of your stomach is "folded" over the band and then stitched to itself so that the band is actually connected to your stomach. Check out the lapband.com website for a diagram.

The stitches they were referring to are on the inside. They're used to hold suture part of your stomach above the band to hold it in place until the scar tissue forms.

I had surgery on 8/20 and my instructions were:

First 5 days: Clear Liquids only

Days 6-10: introduce mushies (anything you can mash with fork. Mashed potatoes, grits, malt-o-meal, ect)

Day 10-15: more "solid" mushies: eggs, tuna fish, ect...

Tonight I goofed when eating chicken tortilla Soup and ate a small piece of chicken. I didn't scoop all of it out, and once it was in my mouth I was too embarrassed to spit it out, I was at a very nice restaurant. I chewed and chewed like there was no tomorrow! I didn't have any problems with it. I think I am getting too brave for my own good, lol. I am gonna stick with grits and malt-o-meal for a little while longer. I am afraid of stretching my pouch, band slipping, ect!

My problem is I am a fast eater. I have slowed down but feel I still eat oo fast. I am trying but now I worry did I do something wrong by eating to fast. I also started eating almost reg. now but no more then a cup. I do follow my papers I have on each stage. I go in two weeks for my first fill. But in my mind I feel like I stretched my stomach....I am not hungry all the time but I think my brain is making me nuts lol. I had half a bagel for the first time yesterday took and hour to eat. It went down ok very very tiny bites. I burp allot after eating to. But I have acid refulx and always burpped anyway. I just hope I didn't do any damage to my band. My main problem is eating to fast and I hope I am not eating food too fast either. I have tried different things.

My problem is I am a fast eater. I have slowed down but feel I still eat oo fast. I am trying but now I worry did I do something wrong by eating to fast. I also started eating almost reg. now but no more then a cup. I do follow my papers I have on each stage. I go in two weeks for my first fill. But in my mind I feel like I stretched my stomach....I am not hungry all the time but I think my brain is making me nuts lol. I had half a bagel for the first time yesterday took and hour to eat. It went down ok very very tiny bites. I burp allot after eating to. But I have acid refulx and always burpped anyway. I just hope I didn't do any damage to my band. My main problem is eating to fast and I hope I am not eating food too fast either. I have tried different things.

I had the same problem with eating fast, it is a learning process and as you get tighter, believe me, you will remember to eat slower.

It is very common to worry that something is wrong with your band at this stage because there is no restriction. I worried and there are many posts here from others that did too. Just keep following the guidelines and after a fill or two you will start seeing it work.

Thank you......I get insane in my head thinking I am doing something wrong. I go Sept 17th can not wait. I am trying hard to eat slower....I think I am the fastest eater ever. lol

What happens if the band slips????? from over eating