Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone experienced the band being too tight?

On my 4th fill the band was obviously too tight and could not swallow Water without trouble. After another adjustment (2 sticks in 1-hour :thumbup:)

water could pass easily. Now I am very restricted in what I can eat now. Good thing is that I am losing weight much better, but also having to really watch the amount that I can eat. How do you really know when the band is too tight for food? :confused2:

On my 4th fill the band was obviously too tight and could not swallow Water without trouble. After another adjustment (2 sticks in 1-hour :thumbup:)

Water could pass easily. Now I am very restricted in what I can eat now. Good thing is that I am losing weight much better, but also having to really watch the amount that I can eat. How do you really know when the band is too tight for food?:confused2:

I think you are too tight when you can't eat solid Proteins or healthy vegetables without pb'ing or sliming regularly or if you begin to suffer regular heartburn or reflux. However, if you have trouble with solid Proteins, first be sure that you are taking small enough bites and chewing well.

Small portions and carefully having to watch what you eat are appropriate for good restriction. It sounds like you might just be at the right level of restriction for healthy weightloss.

I had a fill about 4 months ago and it was AWFUL!! I had .. "gerd", my piece of "goodie" chocolate set my stomach on boil and if I did eat.. Jello or something soft I would cough and "erp" it up.... nothing helped. They took most of the saline out and I stayed that way for about 2 weeks and had about half put in. Much better but still stuck at 60lbs!!:wink2:

I had 2 and a half years with no trouble at all, but the more fills you get, the less leeway you have for band fluctuations and just recently, following a plane flight at the same time as having my period, I got really too tight for my comfort, although I was nowhere near not being able to swallow Water etc. I could eat but it was uncomfortable, and I wasnt eating well.

The point, Dadymon, is obviously to restrict how much you can eat. But the band is not an exact science and what often happens is you get too tight, and you start eating badly - you cant eat the solid Proteins, fruits and veggies easily and you start to get by on ice cream, chocolate, fatty things that are small and easy to eat and doing that, you can take in WAY more calories than when you eat more food but make better choices.

I was not having sliming or PB any more than usual (which is pretty rare for me) because I eat very carefully and listen to my body, I dont push it with things that I know dont agree with me and I stop the minute I feel a signal to. So no pbing, but I realised after I'd not eaten a piece of fruit in about a week that I was too tight and would be better off with some fill removed. Now I can eat way more, but I can also make better choices, so as long as I use some self control and dont eat the chocolate or ice cream but choose healthy foods instead, I'm better off allround.

so you can be too tight even without vomiting and reflux or inability to eat solids at all. Its a personal thing, the level of restriction you're prepared to tolerate, what sorts of healthy foods you can eat etc. For me, I dont need to be that tight as I'm not even trying ot lose anymore and I feel loads better with just .2ml taken out.

Thank you for the replys. Yes the point of having the band is to not be able to eat as much, but I just wanted to know if it was normal to have days when you can hold food and others when you cannot. Seems like this is normal and days do vary. Thanks for the input.

I too have the same issue - sometimes the food goes down and stays down and other time it is just awful - not one thing will go down!!! I have extreme heartburn right now so the last thing I want to do is eat. I had a Protein Shake instead. Also I have a hard time with both fruits and vegetables of any sort - I just get sick. I have not even tried to eat salad. My band was placed in December 2007 and I am down 70 lbs with 20 to go.

There is a fine line between being too restricted and just right. You need to be able to eat anywhere between 1-3 maybe 4 oz of Protein at a time. Today I ate a Subway chicken breast salad. It took me probably 45 minutes but I was able to consume 1 chicken breast and about 3/4 cup of salad with dressing. I get full on about 1 oz right now so I need to eat slow. I lose 1-2 lbs per week. 20 lbs from goal.

I have found that stess makes the band tighter, also humidity can make it tighter and now I have also found that if for some reason you are put on prednisone quickly get an unfill as it too will cause the band to be too tight! If you are getting stuck on foods still I would go and have some unfilled again it is just not worth the pain and discomfort not to mention it is not good for your esophogus if you are vomiting.

Hi Angela, can you tell me who banded you in Tupelo? Does he or she do fills for patients banded elsewhere. I have not had a fill yet, so I can't answer your question.

I was banded in Tupelo by Dr. Terry Pinson. His office number is: 662-377-7546 he might be able to do a fill if you have the band patient or not.:crying: