Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who eats Carbs and is banded

Do you eat Carbs and feel your losing slowly  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Do you eat Carbs and feel your losing slowly

• Yes I eat carbs
    • No I do not Carbs
    • Yes But Dont feel im losing slowly
    • Eat eat them some but not often

Im curious to know :

how many of ya'll who are banded and feel that your losing slowly eat carbs on a regular basis ?

Mindy

I do not eat carbs hardly at all my band does not allow it .

Im curious if this is possibly the reason why i have lost the way i have ?

So since everyone on here has PCOS A poll is a good way to take get a feel .

Anxious to see what others say .

Mindy

I wasn't sure how to answer the poll, so I thought I would post instead.

I do eat carbs, but they are all from dairy (99% of which is yogurt), fruits, and vegetables. Occasionally - because my family is made up of foodies and we're always trying new recipes or restaurants - I will have a bite of something that is made with bread or breading, but only because a dish looks good and I want to taste the recipe.

I don't eat bread (the rare wrap, but I am finding I can't tolerate them much anymore), and I haven't had Pasta, rice, or sugar-based foods in months.

All of that said, I still average about 40-60 carbs a day from my yogurt, fruits, and veg. I make lower carb choices, but I am not militant about it like I used to be since none of them are refined carbs.

I seem to be losing at a steady and fairly quick pace (60 lbs in under 3 months). I have been cycling carbs and calories a little bit lately, but only up for a day or two, then back down to my "normal" range. I have been debating on being more vigilant so I can test out ketosis, but right now I am doing pretty good with the current dietary choices.

Not sure if this helps, but I thought I would share.

Edited by FeliciaLevy75

I guess I should have been more clear in my poll. When i say carbs I mean "bad carbs" refined carbs. White bread, Pasta, rice, sugars.

I eat a TON of veggies, I dont track calories or carbs.

But since my band dictates No bread , rice, pasta, i cant even do breaded fish or chicken anymore I was curious about that.

GOOD Carbs im all about . "Bad"carbs i cant do , if that makes sense ?

Mindy

I wasn't sure how to answer the poll, so I thought I would post instead.

I do eat carbs, but they are all from dairy (99% of which is yogurt), fruits, and vegetables. Occasionally - because my family is made up of foodies and we're always trying new recipes or restaurants - I will have a bite of something that is made with bread or breading, but only because a dish looks good and I want to taste the recipe.

I don't eat bread (the rare wrap, but I am finding I can't tolerate them much anymore), and I haven't had Pasta, rice, or sugar-based foods in months.

All of that said, I still average about 40-60 carbs a day from my yogurt, fruits, and veg. I make lower carb choices, but I am not militant about it like I used to be since none of them are refined carbs.

I seem to be losing at a steady and fairly quick pace (60 lbs in under 3 months). I have been cycling carbs and calories a little bit lately, but only up for a day or two, then back down to my "normal" range. I have been debating on being more vigilant so I can test out ketosis, but right now I am doing pretty good with the current dietary choices.

Not sure if this helps, but I thought I would share.

I would say that would be a no then , no to refined carbs

Mindy

I do. I eat bread, Pasta and rice, but not the white version, good wholeground ones. It hasnt stopped me losing weight at all, and I was happy with the pace of my weight loss but compared to a lot of others, it was slow. Then again, I've had a 100lb weight loss and dont need any plastic surgery, so maybe that has something to do with it?

I feel truly awful if I dont eat carbs, I cant run well, that's for sure.

White refined carbs though - sugary ones, evil! Nobody needs them. And my diet is less carb based than it once was, the ratio between Protein, carbs and fat, and the type of fat I eat has changed a lot. I did used to eat carbs carbs carbs and nothing but.

Still, I do eat about 150g of carbs a day, in good, low GI form. I still eat a diet based on the traditional food pyramid, but obviously, I burn it off.

I guess i follow the low GI theory, not the low carb theory. Moderate wholegrain breads, cereals, lots of Beans, lentils, fruit and vegetables, very minimal biscuits, cakes, etc.

Edited by Jachut

I do eat some carbs, actually today I had a small amount of mashed potatoes with my cod fish.

I see my surgery date says 12.28.08 its 07 i will fix that

Edited by Shoeaddict
surgery date

I occasionally eat carbs. I cannot tolerate much though. A couple of bites of Pasta and maybe one bite of bread if it is crispy. I really crave Protein and have not had an issue giving up refined carbs-this is amazing coming from a former bread addict.

If I don't watch my carbs, I don't lose. I've tried eating a balanced diet and it took a 3 month plateau for me to realize I have to limit my carbs. That's just me though...

I think everyone is different, that's true. For some, a low carb diet just seems to be the trick they need. Glad its not that way for me, lol, I love my carbs.

often with PCOS and the like, that whole syndrome x metabolic thing often responds well to lower carbs. And I would guess in any overweight community of mainly women, you would find a high number of PCOS sufferers.

Which kind of skews the feeling about whether low carb diets are necessary or not. I think that whilst you can say that many people here need low carb to lose you cant extrapolate that to say that out in the general population carbs make people fat. You cant blame the bun on your big Mac or the sugar in your Krispy Kreme in isolation, when its being washed down with a cocktail of saturated and trans fats. Asian countries are huge rice eaters and they dont suffer half of the woes of the western world - the obesity, heart disease and cancer, until they start eating a western diet - high on Protein, fat, animal products.

Its not so much the low carb that worries me but the mega high Protein and huge soy intakes (in the soy protein isolate shakes) that some people have to get that protein. I just think 50 to 60 grams a day is ample for most women and normal levels of working out dont really warrant an extraordinary diet. I worry about people's kidneys with the intakes some people have.

Edited by Jachut

I think everyone is different, that's true. For some, a low carb diet just seems to be the trick they need. Glad its not that way for me, lol, I love my carbs.

often with PCOS and the like, that whole syndrome x metabolic thing often responds well to lower carbs. And I would guess in any overweight community of mainly women, you would find a high number of PCOS sufferers.

Which kind of skews the feeling about whether low carb diets are necessary or not. I think that whilst you can say that many people here need low carb to lose you cant extrapolate that to say that out in the general population carbs make people fat. You cant blame the bun on your big Mac or the sugar in your Krispy Kreme in isolation, when its being washed down with a cocktail of saturated and trans fats. Asian countries are huge rice eaters and they dont suffer half of the woes of the western world - the obesity, heart disease and cancer, until they start eating a western diet - high on Protein, fat, animal products.

Its not so much the low carb that worries me but the mega high Protein and huge soy intakes (in the soy protein isolate shakes) that some people have to get that protein. I just think 50 to 60 grams a day is ample for most women and normal levels of working out dont really warrant an extraordinary diet. I worry about people's kidneys with the intakes some people have.

I do not think EVERYONE needs to do a low carb diet. HOWEVER , I do think that for people who have PCOS and are over weight , or struggle w/ their weight Carbs are A , not the only , but A big reason for being over weight and if they are limited it can drastically affect their weight loss.

I do not totally eliminate carbs, I eat veggies and on occasion if i am at out and its a "good" day band wise, I will have a bit of food.

But there have been research that shows Carbs and PCOS do NOT Mix,

I did not set out to be "Carb "free my band kind of dictated this.

I think there are a lot of us who have PCOS and many others who do not realize they have it because their docs do not regonize it .

But I think if someone has PCOS and they are sturggling to lose and they eat carbs , an option is to try to reduce the amount they eat and see what happens.

It is true everyone is very different .

Mindy

Has anyone read "Eat right for your blood type"? He points out that blood types developed as people spread over the earth. One reason he says that Asians can eat a lot of rice is because they have primarily and 'A' blood type, which does well on carbs and vegetarian based meals.

Type 'O' (which is the main one) does much better on a low carb-high Protein diet.

I'm not a stickler for either of the low g.i. verses the low carb arguments. I don't necessarily buy into the blood type diet, but I think over all, each has a lot of truth to it and somewhere in the middle is possibly the key.

Hmmmm, I'm B+, I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

I definitely agree that some can eat carbs without abandon, some cant. Some people get fat, some dont, on normal calorie intakes too. I'd have to say for most people who get a lapband and then dont lose, there's got to be something not right. If you lower your calories, it should be that simple. But its just not for everyone, is it?

You can only work out what's right for YOU, cant you?

I do eat carbs, whole grain crackers mostly. I want to get in Fiber. I don't like the feeling of being on a low/no carb diet. It makes me feel yucky and I think it effects my breath, skin, hair, my bowel movements and the odor of my body for some reason.

I try to eat equal carbs and Protein. I have been losing slowly. I find if my calories are low (1000) I lose. Regardless of what I eat. of course, I get in my 60 grams of Protein a day and try to stay low fat, but I eat things like olive oil and avocado which are not low fat!

I eat whole grain crackers, tortillas, and ww bagel crisps. I usually eat one serving of either of those a day.

I don't eat ANY bread, rice or pasta- whole wheat or otherwise! I have had breaded chicken and tolerated that fine. I also eat a lot of soy products like Morningstar Farms chik nuggets and tolerate the breading on those just fine as well.

My doctor told me to limit it to 2x a week... but I haven't done that yet.

Edited by littlefroggy

I do eat carbs, whole grain crackers mostly. I want to get in Fiber. I don't like the feeling of being on a low/no carb diet. It makes me feel yucky and I think it effects my breath, skin, hair, my bowel movements and the odor of my body for some reason.

I try to eat equal carbs and Protein. I have been losing slowly. I find if my calories are low (1000) I lose. Regardless of what I eat. of course, I get in my 60 grams of Protein a day and try to stay low fat, but I eat things like olive oil and avocado which are not low fat!

I eat whole grain crackers, tortillas, and ww bagel crisps. I usually eat one serving of either of those a day.

My doctor told me to limit it to 2x a week... but I haven't done that yet.