Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kidney stones anyone??

After a serious bout with kidney stones in February my doc found 11 stones sitting in my kidneys. No one seems to know why they formed or what to do about them, but sit and pray they don't come out at the same time!!! All are still relatively small.. My concern is that I started to pass them because I got dehydrated.. I have told the nurse, and its in my charts about this, but I'm wondering how hard it is to keep hydrated in the first few weeks, and how long you had IV for fluids in the hospital.. If they send me home fully hydrated I should be able to keep up with it.. My other fear is that should I have an attack the pain makes me vomit!! Has anyone had to deal with this? and how easy is it to mess the band up if you do vomit?

Hi there! I have not had kidney stones since I've been banded, but I have had them pre-op. I understand where you're coming from because they found several small stones in me as well. I passed one each year and I always felt nauseated from the pain.

For me, it was hard to keep hydrated right after surgery. It was more my fault because I pushed anything that I should have put in my mouth away due to not feeling well. My suggestion is to keep Water with you at all times and sip, sip, sip throughout the entire day. It will definitely help. Also, if your surgeon allows, drink Gatorade or something that will keep the electrolytes in you. This will prevent dehydration as well.

As far as the stones, do you drink tap Water? Also, watch your Protein intake. While it is important to get your Protein in, if you're eating too much, it can cause kidney stones. For me, it's the Calcium in the water here in TN. I learned this by trial and error. Since realizing the cause, I only drink purified/bottled water and haven't had a single kidney stone since. Good luck! The good thing is that you'll be on pain medication from surgery and that should help with the pain from the stones as well, atleast a little. Feel free to PM me if you need to chat! :cry_smile:

Thank you for the info! Kidney stones are by far the worst pain I have ever encountered,, even a broken leg and childbirth didn't beat it.. Once I became delerious from the pain, the last time the nurse didn't believe I had an alergic reaction to oxycodone,, insisted it was just a "reaction",, they gave it to me,, my throat closed up,, they gave me adrenalin,, had a panic attack from that.. no fun at all.. Then the nurse signed me out before my IV ran out and I went home dehydrated (didn't know it at the time) had Constipation so bad I had to go back to ER.. I have learned to be agressive with my care.. Its my body so I get last say from now on..

I don't drink our faucet Water even though it is filtered except with my coffee.. I too think it has a great deal to do with it. I have even had Salivary Stones which feel like a toothache and a earache at the same time.. not good..

I have tried to get the doctor to give me pain meds to keep on hand should it start.. maybey I will save some just in case,, at least enough to take the edge off should I have an attack and need to get to the hospital.

Edited by wickedme
sp

My wife had a bout with kidney stones 4 months after being banded, yes, she threw up, very small amounts, We spent one nite in the ER, they figured out what the problem was about 3AM and gave her heavy duty pain killers, then a week later had lithotripsy (sp?) where they blast them with ultrasound to break them up and she spent about 2 weeks passing tiny sandlike pieces. Did not affect the band at all in her case, but be sure to let your doctors know whats happening. The urologist told her to eliminate caffine and to drink plenty of Water to help prevent future stones (shes had them twice in 3 years)

Edited by mnn2501

ouch!!!

Glad to hear she didn't have any problems with the band afterwards..sorry to hear it turned out she had to had them blasted!!

I am not banded yet, but have/had three kidney stones in each kidney. I was told to make sure that I drink lots of lemonade. I make it myself with lemon juice and splenda or sweet and low. I drink four eight oz cups a day and have not passed a stone in a year. Don't know what happen to the stones they may still be there. I asked at my nutrition consult about the lemonade and she told me to ask the Dr. I believe my kidney stones were a combination of dehydration and untreated UTI. I to am concerned about staying hydrated after being banded and also how my new stomach will tolerate the lemonade.

I just had a kidney stone a few days ago. Had surgery to laser it out. I am scheduled to be banded on Thursday. I hope it does not hold up my surgery. I was told I could do the lithotripsy after my lap band to get rid of the stones in my kidneys.

Did anyone meantion the Lithotripsy proceedure to you>? I had it last year it's painless (your under what they call light anathesia..but I was out cold) and passing them after they've been blasted was a breeze except for ocassional nasuea nothing serious. Just wondering if taking care of this problem first would ease your mind and not cause additional stress of getting banded and worrying about the dehydration. Of course your insurance would have to be a good one I thinkn the proceedure runs about 12 grand and of course my ins co covered it no problem now the lap band they are digging their heals in about covering. Good luck to you!

After a serious bout with kidney stones in February my doc found 11 stones sitting in my kidneys. No one seems to know why they formed or what to do about them, but sit and pray they don't come out at the same time!!! All are still relatively small.. My concern is that I started to pass them because I got dehydrated.. I have told the nurse, and its in my charts about this, but I'm wondering how hard it is to keep hydrated in the first few weeks, and how long you had IV for fluids in the hospital.. If they send me home fully hydrated I should be able to keep up with it.. My other fear is that should I have an attack the pain makes me vomit!! Has anyone had to deal with this? and how easy is it to mess the band up if you do vomit?

Hey I had a bout with stones in Sept/Oct now I have salivary duct stones (Doc thinks). This is freakin me out. My body is rebelling. I was banded Apr 08. Am I not drinking enough? Weight loss okay 50#, but sheesh & crime-n-elly, enuf is enuf! Write back & let me know how u ar doin

Did any of you have your stones analized? They can tell you what the stones are made of. This way you know what you need to avoid. There are alot of reasons people get stones, and that's why you need to get them tested. They also have meds that help with nausea. If your stones are made up of Calcium they actually have a pill that can be taken when the stones are small and it can shrink or even dissolve them in the kidney. Most common stones are made up of calcium. Others are Struvite, can occur after UTI infection. Uric Acid, when your urine contains to much acid. Cystine, which a very rare, so I doubt this is the culprit. Most people who get 1 stone will get another within 10 years, that is why it is important to know what your dealing with. And if you've had 1 you definately don't wan't to have another.

Edited by laurigee

My stones were Calcium, , and 2 months ago I went to the doctor because I had an ear ache and my teeth hurt.. thought for sure I had a sinus or ear infection, turns out is was salivary stones!! Bizarre, I had never heard of them.. He told me to suck a lemon, hot pack my jaw area, then massage. I felt the stones break loose because my mouth instantly filled with saliva.. I know that I have had this before too and didn't know what it was. I also passed some minute stones around thanksgiving, they took about a week so there were more then one and I didn't have to go to the emergency room, they just gave me pain meds.