Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I knew this would come, but I'm just so hungry for real food again. Specifically, I'm missing my favorite foods, most of which I may never get to have again because they're "sticking" foods. Much of the time I'm fine, I don't think about food to this degree, but this afternoon I took a nap and instead of getting up when I woke up, I just sat awake and tried to remember how my favorite foods tasted. I think I'm obsessed with tasting food to the point where I've thought about trying a bite of something and spitting it out. This is where my addiction to food comes in, I know.

There's nothing to be done, really, I just wanted to talk it. I decided to fight the feeling by exercising, which I'm about to do. I know, yay, go me. But the feeling is there and for the first time, I'm sad... like I'm in mourning.

Edited by zillyanne

Zillyanne, I know how you are feeling. I went/am going through the same thing. I was banded on 7/2 and soon after that was how I felt, in fact that was my big fear prior to the surgery. I feel like it is getting better but I'm sure it will take a while before I'm 100%. If you need to talk about it I'm here just message me.

I'm right there with you. I want some real food too. I don't really want to overeat - I would be happy with a small serving, as long as it was something real, with some flavor and texture. *Why* are all the Protein supplements so sickeningly sweet?

My husband made himself a hamburger last night, and OH it smelled so good... I've thought about chewing and spitting, too!! Haven't actually done it, though. Last night, I picked up a book when it got bad, and that really helped - I read Jennifer Weiner's new book and by the time I got too tired to keep reading, I wasn't hungry anymore. :-)

I am so glad I came across this thread. I was thinking of posting something simmilar. I was just banded last week, and have to do 2 weeks of full liquids before moving on to mushies. Luckily for me, mushies include crackers! WOO HOO! Unfortunately, I still have a week and a half of liquids. I am mentally obsessed with the idea of a golden brown towne house cracker right now :biggrin:. I know it will be worth it, but for right now, a week and a half is so overwhelming. And as a side note, I had to switch from medifast to muscle milk lite because the smell was just becoming so nauseating to me, I didn't think I could choke down another drink! Thanks so much for posting this, I really needed to come across this tonight!

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to chime in. I am one full liquids for another week. My salvation has been grits. They are allowed on my full liquids. I found some with natural butter flavor and yummy. I feel like i am getting some texture as well as flavor. I can also have cottage cheese. Hope that helps.

:biggrin2:

Don't torture yourself. Find something to distract yourself from the thought of food. I know that the liquids are no fun, I will be joining that song this week, but it is such a short time compared to the rest of our lives (which will be longer now). I plan on doing a lot of crocheting instead of eating when I am not sitting here with my little fingers getting their workout on the keyboard.I want to make a wrap for myself that is not added to to reach around me. If you try to think of something you enjoy half as much as you are trying to remember how something tasted, you can find something else to occupy your time. Lots of luck to you all,

Hey, if cottage cheese is on the mushie stage I have a good recipe for you gals to try. I will post it on under the food and recipe section. It is called Mandarin Orange Salad. I have really liked this salad for years and it is easy to make. Once you get to the soft diet you can add the oranges back in.

Edited by mom2twins
spelling error big time

This too will pass. I was banded on 7/22/08 and just started on real food, but mushie ones. I have eaten an egg, cottage cheese, a few crackers and avocado. It was hard in the the liquid stage.

When you start mushies you must be careful. Eat less then you think you think you want. The rest will be there later.

Good luck all

I am doing that too. When I quit smoking I grieved (sp)...man it was awful! You would have thought my best friend had died. With this I am just starting (banded 7/31) to miss food. So far my family has had McD's, taco bell, lasagna, and garlic bread. I was really hungry at dinner and wanted some of my husbands cheseburger in a bad way, and I never thought I would be satisfied with my cream of chicken Soup and applesause, but I was.

I know in my head that I will get through the missing of food, after all I never think about smoking anymore, but it seems impossible at this moment. :biggrin:

Carey

Hi Angel P,

I was also banded by Dr. Geiss, i was banded the following day 7/31/08. Have you tried the whey Protein mix from Vitamin World? I got the vanilla praline and its pretty good. You can also mix a little with some vanilla yogart. Also try fozen yogart. I was never a fan of frozen yogart but it beats not having anything really tasty. When is your follow up appointment? Mine is 8/14/08.

Sue

Been there, done that -- for me it his day 3 and 4 and I ended up eating it on day 4, small portion and chew chew chew. Didn't kill me, but you take your own chances ;0)

I can eat anything even stuff that gives some people problems, but I chew, chew chew - thats the key.

I've had some of the same problems, but I've been trying to get through it. The other night DH grilled hotdogs and they smelled so good. I actually took a small bite, chewed it up, and spit it out. :) Let me tell you it was wonderful too, hehe. I have 6 days till mushies and I cant wait. Although right now my liquids consist of clear plus, blended Soups strained, SF Jello and pudding, LF yogurt (but I think is out just incase) baby food fruits and apple sause, so not too terrible.:) I did however break down and added two crushed up Ritz crackers to my broth the other day, it was good, no thicker then baby food, but I felt to bad about it and havent dont it since. :Banane21: Anyone else cheat? Looks like we were all banded around the same time. How's everyone feeling? I'm doing great, only a little soreness and thats near the port area. :bananapowerslide: Good luck everyone.

~Melissa

318.7/306.2/180

Today was a huge cheat. I'm not believing how much food I ate and I ate it so fast! So, I've fessed up - I cheated. No weight loss for me.

I think I'll go walk a few dozen laps...

Hi Angel P,

I was also banded by Dr. Geiss, i was banded the following day 7/31/08. Have you tried the whey Protein mix from Vitamin World? I got the vanilla praline and its pretty good. You can also mix a little with some vanilla yogart. Also try fozen yogart. I was never a fan of frozen yogart but it beats not having anything really tasty. When is your follow up appointment? Mine is 8/14/08.

Sue

Hi Healthy Sue,

My follow up appt is on the 13th. I sure wish that I could move to mushies sooner LOL. My birthday is on the 14th. But its just wishful thinking and I will Celebrate some other way than food. I will look into that Protein mix. I got some other stuff from some health food/ Vitamin place that I havent tried yet. The guy that works there gave me a discount and said its one of the best sellers and is really good.....I will post if it is. Are you attending the support group this month?

Angel

Which meeting the post op meeting? I would like to go when is it again?