Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am two days post op, I felt hungry so i had a little cream of chicken Soup. Only about 1/2 cup. I have a pain in my chest now. I just wonder when this will go away. I don't understand, i feel like i am hungry so i eat something(liquid) and when i do i get this pain. This feels pretty bad. :) Anybody have the same experience? But the weird thing is i don't feel full i just get this pain. Help

You shouldnt of had the Soup. Follow your doctors plan. For the first 3 days you are to be on clear liquid only. Cream of chicken soup is to heavy and you should only be sipping liquids all day long. Then when you go on full liquids which consists of Protein Shakes, you only drink like 2 oz at a time every hour. While sipping Water or sugar drinks in between. You body hasnt heal from the operation, Remember the band is sewed to your stomach so you have stiches inside that have to heal. The pain should go away. Very importat to do what your doc says.

I had full liquids from day 2 on and I just made them really thin.. I had all kinds of creamy Soups blended them for like 4 mins and I was fine, I am breast feeding so I couldnt really do the Clear Liquids.. I was very conservative though I didnt go to crazy.. but also had Protein shakes with milk.. the pain in your chest is most likely still from the Gas they put in you.. I had terrible gas pains in my chest and in my back and then later in my shoulders.. it took me about 7-8 days to get over them completely.I think the pain is in the chest area because the gas is trying to get out and pushing up on the diaphram.. just remember to sip slow and take breaks if you start to feel bad. and be conscious of liquids that cause gas. :) AND remember to walk a lot.. even if you dont feel like it walk.. and have someone massage your back and help you to burp up that gas.

everyones doc is different.. some say Clear Liquids for 4 days.. some say full.. some even allow mushies early. you should follow what your doc wants.. but just remember you are recovering from surgery.. take it easy. dont push your stomach too early, you dont want to throw up.

Thank you so much for your suggestions. My husband says the same thing, its probably the gas still stuck. Boy oh boy this is worse then the incisions. I just took a hot shower and let the how Water hit my back(i didn't turn around) and that seems to have helped a little bit. I guess time is the answer. I do think i need to slow down on the liquids. My only problem is that i was feeling hungry. I am going to try some more walking.

My surgery is this Thursday the 7th, did some shopping and picked up two boxes of Gas X strips (they melt on your tongue. My nurse practitioner recommened it. A lot of people use it for the gas.

My diet is very very restrictive, clear liquids for almost two weeks then other liquids and then mushy food. I won't have any "solid food" for 5-6 weeks. This was highly stressed to me so that the band can heal and not slip. I will stick with it for sure.

Hey there.. I just wanted to offer some of my experiences as well as get some feed back from anyone who has had any similar issues. I was banded on Wed, July 30.. I am 3 days post op and well things really aren't that bad. I had what was called an On-Que ball that had numbing medicine in it for the first 3 days. It went slightly under the skin and it went straight to my incisions so I didn't feel them. My only really question is when I take a really deep breath it feels like my lungs are up against a concrete wall.. Is this somewhat normal? I have been walking every hour starting from when I got home after surgery and I have these leg compression things that I put on my legs when I go to bed but really my only issues are the deep breaths?? Is this the gas still? It does seem to be getting a little better, but i just wanted to see if anyone else had this same thing happening?? Thanks for any info..

What you are experiencing is normal. Before you left the hospital/clinic where they did you surgery did they give you a spirometer. It is a small device where you inhale as much as you can and repeat is 5 times. You will want to do this every 2 hours. This tightness in your chest is a side effect from being put under. So keep trying to breath into the spirometer or take some big deep breaths, coughing also helps to clear the lungs.

my only issues are the deep breaths?? I had the same thing post op. It lasted for about 5 or 6 days. It was kind of scary. But, my doctor said it could have been the gas and the swelling. :teeth_smile:

I agree that it definitely could be gas. Have you tried using mylicon which are antigas drops for babies. My doctor recommended them and I know they helped me. I want to say you can use approximately 10 drops and up to 5-6 times per day.