Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercise: What are you doing post-op?

Hi Everyone-

Once again I have a question! haha But this is the BEST place to ask it :biggrin:

I"m 2 weeks post op today (weeee :biggrin:) and wondering what everyone was doing in terms of exercise? I am walking 30 minutes a day on the treadmill at a small incline. Is this OK?

What do you guys to? Especially about a few weeks post-op? My doc didnt really give specific instructions other than no swimming and no intense work outs until I'm cleared.

Whattya think?

Walking is my primary exercise and has been since before surgery. I belong to Curves, but I decided that wasn't enough (pre-op) so I went looking for an interesting place to walk. There is a park near my home that has a 2 mile nature trail that is paved, and I walk there carrying peanuts for the squirrels. I started on weekends in January (the park is technically closed but they don't lock the gate so people walk their dogs and walk for exercise all year round), and when daylight savings kicked in I started going during the week. Post-op they said no resistance training (Curves) for about six weeks, so I just walked. I don't go particularly fast, and I stop to feed the squirrels. I call it interval walking :biggrin:. My legs started slimming even before I had lost a significant amount of weight. A good pair of shoes and a place to walk, that's all you need.

I just knew I wouldn't stick to the gym with the added monthly membership cost, the gas costs to get to the gym, etc. I also can't afford to spring for a treadmill right now and the family keeps arguing about where the exercise bike we have should be in the house, so I can never stay motivated to use it.

I had to find something I could stick to and would stay motivated to do no matter what the situation.

I bought an Omron HJ-720ITC pedometer that syncs to your home computer. It's the best pedometer out there hands down! and do a minimum of 10,000 steps a day.I also bought some basic home exercise equipment (weights, exercise ball, yoga mat, jump rope, etc.) for great prices at TJ Maxx & Marshalls. I put it all in a plastic tote in my room.

I also got a subscription to fitness magazine to motivate me. I tear out the exercise pages that show simple exercises with home equipment and started a binder with page covers.

I did splurge on a pair of new balance shoes at marshalls yesterday for $33.

I can now say I look forward to exercising daily. I've been doing great and have lost weight!

America's Walking: The 20% Boost Program: Fit Walking into Your Life

Hi! I was banded 7/18/10 and my doc said in 7 days, I could do whatever I felt comfortable with.

That friday, seven days post op, I did 45 minutes of cardio, 20 on the bike and 25 on the elliptical. 10 days out, Monday, I started to add in weights. I lifted for about an hour with my trainer Monday and Wednesday with about 45 min of the elliptical to finish my session. Tuesday, Thursday and Friday (today), I just did 60 Minutes of Cardio switching up between the bike, elliptical and stair stepper.

My doc said I couldn't do anything to damage anything, and to let the pain if any be my guide. The only thing I am really not doing a whole lot of yet is Abs, but I plan to start in on that tomorrow.

I get my first fill on 8/6 and I can't wait, since I really have no restriction at all right now. I am working my butt off in the gym, but I have always loved working out, it's just frustrating since I worked so hard and saw no real results :scared2: Now, since I have the help of the Lap-Band, or at least soon I will, it will be easy to stay motivated.

Good luck and happy losing!:cursing:

I walked post-op and do Jazzercise now 4-5 times a week, great fun and very addicting