Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Tasty Liquid Protein

I need a source of Liquid Protein that not only taste O.K., but my dietian said the carbs and Protein should be close to equal. Lots of people have recommended Unjury, but there are little to no carbs in it. Any help would be appreicated since the first Protein Shake I tried was not edible! Oh, she also said to stay away from "whey" products and go for the soy protein products.....

Thanks again for your help

Margo

I dont know what is exactly in the drink...but Isopure is suppost to have a really good fruity drink with like 40grams of protien in it...i dunno bout carbs and stuff...havnt tried it yet but heard its really really good.

Isopure is fruity and not thick like the other Protein Drinks . It does leave a kinda film on your tongue.but at 40 gm of Protein in a bottle you can get over that.I needed to drink it cold,real cold. try the blue rasberry..I liked that one the best,you can get it at GNC for about $2.50 a bottle.

Guest j. lynn

I need a source of liquid Protein that not only taste O.K., but my dietian said the carbs and Protein should be close to equal. Lots of people have recommended unjury, but there are little to no carbs in it. Any help would be appreicated since the first protein shake I tried was not edible! Oh, she also said to stay away from "whey" products and go for the soy protein products.....

Thanks again for your help

Margo

With Unjury, you mix it with something -- you put it in milk or whatever. Then your carbs will match the protein.

I don't do "protein drinks". But when I was on my post-op liquid diet, I had 3 CIB drinks a day. Each is 20 grams of protein and 230 calories. What I did was:

1 packet of Carnation Instant Breakfast (get the blue box -- no-sugar added)

1 cup skim milk

1/3 cup powdered milk.

Mix it all up and drink! I would have 1/2 of one every 2-3 hours during the day, for a total of 60 grams of protein, 690 calories.

I don't think your dietician would object to something with lower carbs than protein - she just wants to make sure you aren't taking in too many carbs.

jayme

Margo...I found a lot of good Protein sources at www.Bariatricadvantage.com

According to the site, they only sell "good tasting" Proteins. I bought a sampler pack and made up my own mind from there. I don't know why your dietician want you to stay away from whey, but there are a lot of really good ones out there. My current favorite that I got from the above site is Elite's chocolate Mint Flavor. Per one scoop, it has 112 cal, 1.5g fat, 2.5g carbs, and 23g of whey Protein. I add it to skim milk for even more protein. It tastes like a "thin mint' cookie to me.

As far as Isopure goes, personally, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I was so jazzed to try it the first week post-op because it was a clear protein but I just couldn't drink it. I was much happier feeling crappy without protein for a week than drinking that. Just my 2 cents.

I love the GNC pro perfomance 95 (soy protein). I mix mine with skim milk so I get about 35 g portein and about 20 g of carbs (I use 1 1/2 cups milk). I also used the Isopure during my clear liquid stage. I needed lots of Protein - much earlier due to nursing a 13 month old! I hated it- but I made it go down.

But I love the vanilla of the properformance- the cholate ok, but I don't like the other flavors. I do put some fruit in it now if I need to have one. (some times it is the only way I can eat with four under age 5- and having to hurry and can't take time to chew right & other mornings I just can't eat till noon- but something needs to go down or I will keel over)

For me, Isopro was exciting for the first twenty seconds if that! It leaves a film on your toung and teeth.....and it left me feeling a lump in my throat!! It was not good. Then I thought I was being a genious....I need to drink stuff that is ice ice ice cold!! so I threw Isopro in my Magic Bullet, with a ton of ice and the damn thing nearly exploded!!! NOT GOOD. I have no idea what was going on there. I don't know if the whey Protein reacted to being whipped up....I dunno, but it was a funny way to get rid of some Isopro....less for me to drink :(

Thank everyone....I think I am going to call the dietian and see why the carbs and the Protein need to be equal....

Margo

Margo,

I used the BOOST high Protein Shake, there taste pretty good. I had a problem finding a Protein shake I like. However, those were pretty good. Also, I just order this other stuff it is called Muscle Milk, it is got alot of stuff in it that we need. check it out. In the search button on computer type in Muscle Milk. I will let you know how it taste.

it depends on the amount of carbs your eating really.. I do know including carbs in my diet has helped my weight loss!

Thought I would let you guys know that I tried the pre-made Body for Life Protein drink in chocolate ("on the rocks") and it was really very good! Has anyone tried the vanilla flavor Body for Life?

Margo