Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thanks for the support Trish. I hate to break it to these others, but in some countries including Europe, bunnies are still the main course and its so much healthier than chicken, beef and pork. They are evidently easy to raise, quiet, ability to raise them in any backyard and city environment, etc. Was that 50-75 adult females? I'm hoping to keep a steady supply with just a few does. I may at some point pick up another doe but I was thinking just a few females put out several offspring. I know there are probably the normal accidents and casualties among the young but mathmatically I should still get several good babies from each mom. I got the idea of raising rabbits when I was at my uncles house earlier this month. My aunt is Korean and raises bunnies for meat. Last time we were there she served us some and it was yummy! My poor uncle hates killing them so he was more than happy to send me home with a few of the babies. Must have figured it was a few less for him to deal with. They probably have about 20 rabbits with 1/2 of them being adults. I have come to love Korean food, she is the best cook.

Jenna, I'm sorry it grosses you out. I want to raise rabbits precisely because I don't want all the crap that is in the meat at the store. Plus I think it is more cost effective to raise your own food. I do raise veggies and fruit as well. Best wishes, Teresa

I was just thinking about this old feeling I used to have my entire life. I always felt I was born in the wrong place at the wrong time. I used to dream of being a homesteader and pioneer wife. I was actually very lucky as a child because we always had many different animals, goats, horses, pigs, dogs, cats, rabbits, ferrets, parrots, etc. We had a neighbor that owned 200 acres of ponds, woods, rivers and fields. We kept our horses there and THAT was my playground. I loved to innertube the river, canoe the ponds, catch frogs, lizards and snakes, hunt for treasure, pretend we were cowgirls and chase the cows on the horses (until we got in trouble for driving them thru a fence), we used to build castles in the hay barn, camp, etc. It was amazing. I miss those days. I was actually a vegetarian the first 7 years of my life. My dad was raised on a "dude ranch" in colorado and by the time my parents married and moved to Oregon they were a bit hippyish. We always had a greenhouse full of vegetables and a sailboat we took out on the nearby lake. It was also a bit of a tough childhood because of my parents divorce when I was 8 and being overweight. I went to the same school with the same classmates my entire life. At graduation I was reminded of events that had happened in first grade (peeing the swingset at school and forgetting to put on my bathing suit during swimming lessons. I just walked out to the pool area as naked as a jay bird and had no idea. Of course I was even heavy at that point in my life so I never lived that one down. LOL. Funny thing is, I NEVER see any of those people since graduation. Not even my two childhood best friends. We all just went our own ways. Anyhow enough rambling. I was raised a bit funny I guess.

I am with Jen...."Save the Rabbits"...but..........

when I was growing up, we raised our own rabbits and my dad butchered them and we had them for supper. I always thought it was chicken...did not find this out til way later in life after I was married that I had ate rabbit. I only eat beef, pork and chicken..no seafood, no squirrel, no deer, no frogs......just the 3 basics.......but, whatever works for you...Good Luck!!

what is the difference between rabbits and bunnies??? NOTHING!!!...this thread has really helped me today i am no longer hungry!!

or maybe slow roasted with a stuffing with just a hint of sage. yeah, Apricots and sage. You would need to probably tent to keep the meat moist.

So what time is dinner?

why is it awful to eat bunnies but not chickens? If you've ever had a pet chicken you would think that chickens are pretty funny.

Lots of people don't/won't eat any meat. Some people won't eat anything that was ever cute. Some won't eat anything that had a face. No difference in eating beef than eating bunnies.