Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just had surgery...gaining weight???

I had lap band surgery 11 days ago (7/10/2008). I was on a liquid diet for 4 days prior to my surgery. Between the liquid diet and the recovery after my surgery I lost 23 pounds. I have now gained 5 pounds back?? Has anyone else experienced weight gain prior to their first fill. I guess I am just confused and maybe even a little discouraged because I feel like I am not hardly eating yet gained weight. Can someone please tell me, is this normal, has anyone else experienced this? Does this mean I am going to fail?

Prior to Sugery: 304 lbs :seeya:

Today: 285 lbs :ihih:

what are you eating? liquid can be a HUGE source of calories. fruit juice, icecream, cream Soups, milkshakes etc. Make sure you are getting Protein -- 60 grams a day. Protein increases metabolism. I lost 18 pounds in the 1st 3 weeks. I ate a Protein Shake for Breakfast, chicken broth for lunch, protein shake in the mid day and miso Soup for dinner. Also, make sure to get in exercise. My doc gave me no exercise restrictions after 10 days. Good luck. Reaching out to the bandster community was a great step. m

From what I have read here on the forum, it is not unusual for some people to gain after the band until you get your first fill or even get to your sweet spot. Don't get discouraged yet, they says the first month is about recovery and healing not loosing weight.

For the most part I am doing as directed, lots of Water, sugar free Jello and sugar free pudding, broths, small portions of cottage cheese. Slimfast shakes to help with the Protein. There has been no milkshakes or ice cream (dang :thumbup:) My regular doctor said 23 pounds in the first week was great, I was just worried to see the scale move in the other direction. I appreciate someone actually reading and responding, thanks :thumbdown:)

This happened to me. It's very discouraging! I lost 10 lbs after surgery and then gained 5 lbs back. I have slowly taken it off and lost 3 lbs more. I checked with my dr. and he said the first 6 wks are for healing. Weight loss starts after the fills. Your job now is to protect your pouch and let your stomach heal. It has been 6 wks since my surgery and I have lost 13 since surgery (35 total counting pre-banding lbs.) I have followed my drs. guidelines and my dietician has reviewed my diet journal and says I'm eating the right things. She suggested bumping up my exercise to 1-

1 1/2 hrs a day. I did increase my exercise. It just is slow going. I'm looking forward to my first fill next week. Hopefully I will see more results a little faster. But truly, my dr. says 2 lbs a week is good and that should be happy with that--which I am--beats what I used to weigh. Good luck and follow your drs. rules. It will come off. Keep your chin up!

Edited by Jules K

This may sound weird but it works for me.....Anytime I gain, I quickly put it out of my mind & think about my lowest weight. I focus on that because I KNOW that I'll be back there in no time.

Keep your eyes on the prize!

Banded 5-29-08, lost 25 lbs, first fill 7-9-08, since the fill gained 7lbs. Called the surgon, this is normal. Takes several fills before weightloss occures in some of us. Good Luck and calm down it will come off.

there right i did the same then all of a sudden it fell off plus sum dont feel bad you will be fine!

It could also be fluids. I vary 3 lbs just if I walked and then Im at my low of the day, and then drink Water and replinish my fluids. It will come back off. Like the other poster, I keep on using the lowest weight I saw and wait for the needle to go lower.... it will eventually.

Thank-you everyone I can not tell you how helpful you all were when I was having my mini breakdown, it's like you have the surgery and then you just want to make sure you do everything right. I had my post-op appt and the doc said I am great, not to worry to much about the scale right now. First time a doc has ever said that :teeth_smile:) He said you have the hardware but it is not in use, give it time. Made me feel much better. So I am sitting between 17-25 ponds, 3 weeks after my surgery. I get my first fill the middle of August and I am very excited.Again thanks everyone, you are all GREAT.

I'm having that problem now. I had surgery 2 weeks ago this Thursday. I lost 22 pounds between my 2 week pre-liquid diet and a week after surgery. Sunday was the first day that I felt "not full." No restrictons. I'm still trying to eat the same portion sizes that I was eating when I felt the restriction so maybe I don't regain too much. So far I've only regained a pound and a half. But Yes, it is scarey to see the scale going the wrong way, just when you thought you were on your way. My first fill isn't until Sept. 3. Then I have one each month up until Dec. I can't WEIGHT until Sept.3:unsure:

weight gain right after surgery is normal, relax, your body is healing. a month from now you should be dropping, but right now my advice is don't even get on the scale for 4 weeks.

I am so glad I didn't miss this thread. Earlier this morning I complained about this in another thread. I am so happy it is not uncommon. In my case I have been gaining weight steadily (about 1 lb/day) since last Wednesday. It's so frustrating. I am thinking one of my problems is I am a carb addict. It seems alomst impossible for me to go a day without bread, rice or Pasta. Thank you all for sharing your experiences.