Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thinking hard about this.....

Hi everyone, I am a SAHM to 3 girls and 1 great dh, and am tired of being fat. Last year my kids said they would support me going on "biggest loser" :seeya: I know they were meaning it out of love (want me healthy), but I can't pretend it didn't hurt- and that was when I was 30+ lbs LESS!!!

I have Fibromyalgia and have tried for the last few years to exercise from time to time, but it causes a 3 day flare every time :ihih: July we went on a 2 week trip, one place we went was a theme park. I couldn't fit into every ride :) and just being up on my feet for 10+ hrs and not doing much physically, I was wiped for 2-3 days after. I got on lyrica about 6 mo ago and it works wonderfully, I really love being pain free, but I have also gained over 30 lbs since starting it- where I was "holding my own" at 200ish for a year?

This morning I woke up and for some reason "LAP Band" was in my head, so I started looking at it. I have heard of it from time to time, and I even asked my dr a few years ago about gastric bypass but he was deadset against it. I don't know how he feels about the Lap Band, but I am going to do this behind his back as much as I can. I don't want the lecture. I am tired of walking around starving and feeling like a bottomless pit! I can eat my dh under the table! And he eats a LOT! I have said that if I only had a smaller stomach to make me feel full faster, it would make all the difference in the world!

So, Thursday happens to have a meeting about the lap band, I told my dh today about this, and he is all for it for me. I called and checked- our insurance will cover it, I just need a "predetermination' letter from the dr (SOP I assume). Being as I am now a 41 bmi, and have fibro, Ihope that is enough for them.

So, I guess I will hang around the boards and look through the "issues" threads to see what I might expect- but overall I think I am in pretty good condition (no heart disease, good cholesterol, no diabetes/prediabetes) I think I should do fine.

Any advice/things you wished you knew before making the decision?

Hello, and welcome to the message boards.

I have a very dear friend who has fibro and severe rheumatoid arthritis. She lost 100 lbs on Jenny Craig 2 1/2 years ago and I asked her if losing weight has made a difference as far as reducing the pain in her joints. She said 'no' and still has a lot of pain. So, it's hard to say if it would help or not.

it sounds like you already know you want to do it. You'll want to do it more after your seminar. I'm only 2 weeks post surgery but so far I'm glad I did it. Im determined not to go throught life like my mom did.I'm also determined not to have my child suffer the same fate. This was a matter of life and death for me, because down the road if I didn't do something now, it was going to kill me. I decided my life was more important than food.< /p>

well, I don't know if losing weight will help my fibro, but it SHOULD help me to stay on lyrica w/o gaining so much weight. And I am also hoping that losing weight will help me exercise more w/o as much pain. I too have plantar facitis (sp?) and know that when I was lighter my feet didn't hurt so much in the am- if at all- so I am hoping that weightloss will help that too

This site is a WEALTH of information of pre-surgery, post-surgery, diet, possible problems, success stories and LOTS AND LOTS of incredible support! Since making my decision late in the spring and having my surgery date set for this summer I have been on here pretty much every day and almost every day I learn something new. FM or not, if you have a BMI of 41 I'm certain you would be a candidate for the band and losing the weight would make you feel better... both mentally AND physically I'm sure! I think we all understand the feeling that we get in the pit of our stomach when someone says something "helpful" that they mean no ill will by - it hurts like hell :seeya: and just having the possibility of removing THAT kind of pain made looking into the band worthwhile for me. (Let alone the physical reasons on top of that!)

So investigate, read and ask a b-jillion questions. Everyone here is just so wonderful and you will in all likelihood make a whole new set of friends from all over the world!

We're here for you!!!

Stace :biggrin2:

Edited by Sask Patient
grammar error

I just want to do SOMETHING that works and my weight will start going down instead of up! I want to help my kids in school sports (I was active as a kid), I want them to think I am beautiful- and I think it too! (they already do, but...) I want to feel "sexy" to my dh who, bless his heart, tells me I am sexy!

but most of all I just want to be healthy and feel good about myself. My parents are overweight, but I have been the heaviest in "our" family for many years. With my size 8-12 sister making me feel "fat and ugly" in my mind.

thanks Stace (btw, my sister's name is StaceY) I am sure I will frequent these boards for quite a while and am sure I will find lots of support here. Thanks for the welcome! :seeya:

My gosh girl - I completely understand... I know this isn't the magic bullet for weight loss, nothing is, but it is a TOOL to help me keep it OFF this time and that is the main thing. NO MORE YO-YO'ING!! :seeya: I am SO done with working SO hard to only gain it all back and more. And I would be willing to betchya that once the weight does start to come off, you would find that slowly working into some activity would help. But - I definitely DON'T want to influence you in any way. This is solely your decision so again, investigate and learn as much as you can, and research everything you can find - both good and bad. You'll make the decision that is best for you... good luck!!! Let us know if there is anything we can do...

God Bless you in your research and decision!

Stace :biggrin2:

I don't know anything about Fibromyalgia but surely losing weight when we're heavy, can only be a good thing for us, on so many levels. It's wonderful that you have your husband's support, AND your insurance will cover it.... you are halfway there already! Like others have said, do lots of research. Read every online weight loss patient's diary and blog you can find, watch the surgery being performed on You Tube as well as little video clips that patients post there, read this forum, attend the seminar, attend a support group meeting. Learn as much as you can so you can make an informed decision about surgery, and you'll know what your commitment will have to be, and your expectations will be realistic. I'm excited for you and I wish you all the best!

thanks Nance for the sage words of advice/support! I really appreciate it! I think my PCP doesn't really like me much, because I usually research the crap outta stuff, and come in knowing what is wrong with me (or my kids), just need his "yep" and pills! lol So, I WILL know everything I can before going under the knife!

Let's face it, being overweight seems to aggravate all conditions! I had the band on December 01, 2006. My weight was 217. I now weigh 165 or so. I need to get a fill, to get a ittle more on track, but I am still very pleased with my weight loss. I think you will be very happy when you start losing unwanted pounds, and can get some relief just from weight los alone...and maybe more healthy feelings to come. Fat really overtaxes our systems. Best of luck to you!

Jenny, welcome!!! I'm new to the boards and I started my process in April. These boards are a wealth of information and the days when I feel like i'm the only one in the world with weight problems i come here. Everyone here can say "I understand" and mean it. Attend support group meetings, ASK Questions!! the more you know the better descisions you make. I have an auto immune disorder calle Sarcoidosis it started in my sinus area nad has migrated to my lungs.. eventually it will effrct me like Systic Fibrosis so my descision was an easy one. I have a great husband and two beautiful girls who need me. As I hear so much on these sites "The weight didn't come on over night so it will take more than a night to take it off." Good Luck

Hi Everyone,

I have been approved for the lap band. I have to still do some test before surgery. Has anyone had to have a scope or a filter before surgery? I was okay with everything until they mentioned having to have a filter put in. I have varicose veins and have the surgery where they strip them and my legs swell. I am hoping when I lose weight this condition will go with the pounds.

Hey everyone! I went for my seminar last night, and Amy called today to tell my my insurance will cover it ...BUT..... I have to have a 6 mo dr supervised diet, psych eval, nutrition eal and 3 yr hist of weight (1 wt for each of the last 3 yrs showing a bmi of 35+), and a letter of recommendation from my dr.

Not much of that was a surprise, what is worrying me is the letter of recommendation from my dr. The last time I asked about gastric bypass he said no. I haven't talked to him about the lap band, but worried he will tell me no again. Amy said that if he does, they have a dr there that can become my pcp for my 6 mo diet, etc. I LOVE my dr, he has been amazing helping me with my fibromyalgia, but less than helpful with my weight. My whole family goes to him, so I will still have to see him, I just don't know what to do if he says no. :)