Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hirsutism and Acne

Hi everyone. I’m new to the site and have just received confirmation that my band will be going ahead in September! I am so happy I just can't put the excitement into words!!

I was diagnosed with POCS 9 years ago. At the time all I suffered from was irregular periods and very erratic moods. I managed to have 2 sons which I am very grateful for.

As the years have past though my weight has increased considerably. This weight gain has caused other side effects like Hirsutism and Acne (the acne is mainly just my back) but the hair is on my face, neck, chest, breasts, stomach, arms, back, shoulders ect ect. I have fair hair and blue eyes but this hair is dark and coarse.

Unfortunately the excess hair/acne combined with the weight gain and an unsympathetic husband meant my confidence and self esteem hit rock bottom.

I became a shadow of my former self and avoided people and social situations. However, I'm pleased to say that things are looking up! I got rid of the unsympathetic husband a few years ago; I have a new career and my two wonderful sons. And I’m hoping that with the help of the band I will be able to lose some of these stubborn pounds and gain some of my confidence back.

I was wondering though if anyone could tell me if the excessive hair does improve with significant weight loss??

Sally xx

Hi Sally,

I too suffer with PCOS and the facial hair issue. ;)

I've lost 35lbs so far and have not seen a change.

However, once I lose all my weight, I'm going to try having the laser treatments again. I had it done about 4 years ago and it was successful on my upper lip and most of my neck area (below the chin) My chin, which I tweezed for 10 years is not any better. I stopped tweezing when I started the laser and just shave now- it's dark & ugly, but from what I understand- I'm doing less damage to the follicles. I'm hoping that with these years of "not tweezing"- the laser will work in that area as well.

Do you have darkening of the skin? Between my legs is the worst- it's black!

I have slight discoloration under my arms, on my ankles & elbows, and under my breasts... I wonder if that will start to fade as my skin stops rubbing together as much!!!!!!!

I'm certain that once you have the surgery and start to see that tremendous weight loss, your confidence will be sky high... I read your story and heard myself speaking. I hated social events and running into people that haven't seen me in "ages" etc... It's very difficult to deal with...

Keep me posted and I hope you have a great day! The future is BRIGHT!:eek:

i have had pcos since i was 12 yrs old now 32 and about 4 yrs ago the dr put me on spironolactone which help slow down the growth of hair, mine was falling out from the top of my head but growing on my upper and lower lip

I take the spironolactone and metphormine for mine...

I've had PCOS since 13, diagnosed at 22, now 41. I met with my surgeon for the first time today. He said that the band causes PCOS symptoms to go into recession. Basically, when your weight gets close to average, the symptoms all disappear. Because all this excess hair is the result of too much androgen (male hormone) from the hormonal imbalance, they should go back to what is more 'mormal' for women once the hormones rebalance.

My arms are hairier than most men I know. Very much more so than my partner!! They are less hairy now because of years of waxing, but still heavier than most men. I used to shave my chin (ashamed to admit) but then had electrolysis for 4 years and now most of its gone. Still do pluck the occasional stray one though. I'm waiting to see if the band will get rid of it all once the symptoms have gone. I am so hoping so!

My skin has actually got worse since I was banded and I have had to go back onto Spironolactone. I have not had much of an issue with excess hair.

Anyone else have an acne flare up?

I have had pcos since I was 18. I probably had it before, but was diagnosed at 18. I too was blessed with two healthy children. (girls for me). But your story and mine are very similar. I use spironolactone for the facial hair. It does seem to be helping alot. I went off my metformin a few months ago, but I think I am going to have to go back on it. I am 6 months out from my surgery and am at a stand still. I have rosacea (which they call adult acne) it is awful. I am entering a clincial trial for it soon. I fear my pcos is slowing my loss. Let us all know how you are doing. Thanks. Kelli

Have any of you ladies had success with Spironolactone? What does it do? Is it worth getting a script for?

I was diagnosed with PCOS 28 years ago. I never had any children, but adopted two great girls!!

I also had problems with facial hair. I had IPL (intense pulsed light) treaments about 6 years ago. I have had almost no regrowth. I did have some fine black hairs return on my upper lip and just had one additional treatment and now those are gone.