Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A hostage in my own body? (or more accurately my mind)...

My surgery date is getting so much closer, and I have a nutrition class tomorrow (followed by the start of my liquid diet). I am starting to freak out. I find myself perpetuating old habits, in fact trying to eat more than ever. I keep telling myself I should eat this - because after I start the liquid diet, "that's it, no more". I can't even begin to say how many times I've done this before starting a new diet (or "lifestyle change") that was supposed to be the start of a new life. I want to be positive, but I feel like I'm headed in the wrong direction already. I know it's not too late and I can change all that - but to be honest, I'm not sure how. How do you stop a lifetime of bad health choices? How do you shut up that voice in your head that says this time won't work either?!??!?!

Don't worry .. you're not alone .. i did it, too. on my pre-op diet, i would try to eat stuff i knew i wouldn't be able to have for a long, long time, if ever again .. but the thing that helped me through the pre-op diet was knowing that my doc told me if my liver had too much fat on it going into surgery he wouldn't band me - he would close me up and send me home and re-try in 3 months. the whole purpose of the diet is to shrink the liver and the amount of fat on the liver .. that was the hardest diet i ever did but i managed to stick to it for the most part .. i did slip up here and there but you have to get right back on track if you do ..

It's a very natural reaction to freak out before surgery, I think most of us did it. It's stepping into the unknown that is scary, wondering if you can do it this time and make it work. I can tell you that I am very happy with my decision to get banded and I think you will be too. Hang in there and remember that the pre-op and post-op diets are temporary! Good Luck!

What kept me from cheating on my 2 week liquid pre-opt diet even once was when I kept reading people who recently posted and their docs had to cut them wide open to get to their stomachs because they didn't shrink their livers instead of the 5 small slits they were expected. They were upset because they never expected that to happen. I guess it does!

My surgery date is getting so much closer, and I have a nutrition class tomorrow (followed by the start of my liquid diet). I am starting to freak out. I find myself perpetuating old habits, in fact trying to eat more than ever. I keep telling myself I should eat this - because after I start the liquid diet, "that's it, no more". I can't even begin to say how many times I've done this before starting a new diet (or "lifestyle change") that was supposed to be the start of a new life. I want to be positive, but I feel like I'm headed in the wrong direction already. I know it's not too late and I can change all that - but to be honest, I'm not sure how. How do you stop a lifetime of bad health choices? How do you shut up that voice in your head that says this time won't work either?!??!?!

It's worth it trust me. It's frustrating and hard to handle sometimes but it's worth it. And if you find a way to shut up the voice inside your head - can you let me know because I'd like to give mine an earful! Good luck!

Don't worry .. you're not alone .. i did it, too. on my pre-op diet, i would try to eat stuff i knew i wouldn't be able to have for a long, long time, if ever again .. but the thing that helped me through the pre-op diet was knowing that my doc told me if my liver had too much fat on it going into surgery he wouldn't band me - he would close me up and send me home and re-try in 3 months. the whole purpose of the diet is to shrink the liver and the amount of fat on the liver .. that was the hardest diet i ever did but i managed to stick to it for the most part .. i did slip up here and there but you have to get right back on track if you do ..

The only thing that I can say - tied to this is - preop - try to avoid "last meal syndrome" as much as you can ... the "i'm going to eat lots of this this and this because I wont have it for a long time if ever again". I had a really bad case of that and gained like 15lbs. And guess what, almost 6months out I can eat everything I could before banding.

My biggest piece of advice is that the "last meal syndrome" is not worth it and if I could redo it, I would do that much differently. Hindsight's 2020

I'm wishing that I'd seen this post about 30 minutes ago. It might have prevented me from going to the kitchen... again!

I found out Thursday that my surgery could be as early as next month when I thought it wasn't going to be til this winter sometime. Sooo, I just realized tonight, after I'd finished my snack, that I was doing exactly what I didn't want to do. Meaning I think I'm hungry, (not really) and I'm eating everything I can get my hands on. I just told DH yesterday that I don't want to do the last meal syndrome or say forget and end up gaining weight. I want to keep losing up til surgery. Ain't gonna happen at this rate. The surgeon was fine knowing I'd only lost a little more than 5% (class requires 10%). I don't want to go in there having gained any weight. I've got to knuckle down and get serious and pay attention to what the heck I'm doing!!

Thanks for posting this and for all of the responses. I KNOW it's not last meal or f' it time but I've got to keep that in my head. I'm so much closer to my goal now that I thought I would be, I don't want to sabotage myself.. again.

Thanks Ang - you are right! Unfortunately I had the "last meal syndrome" up until today - FORTUNATELY I start the liquid diet tomorrow. I know that I will stick with it however, because I'm determined to have the surgery go as planned (and not worry about the liver issues others have discussed).

I'm wishing that I'd seen this post about 30 minutes ago. It might have prevented me from going to the kitchen... again!

I found out Thursday that my surgery could be as early as next month when I thought it wasn't going to be til this winter sometime. Sooo, I just realized tonight, after I'd finished my snack, that I was doing exactly what I didn't want to do. Meaning I think I'm hungry, (not really) and I'm eating everything I can get my hands on. I just told DH yesterday that I don't want to do the last meal syndrome or say forget and end up gaining weight. I want to keep losing up til surgery. Ain't gonna happen at this rate. The surgeon was fine knowing I'd only lost a little more than 5% (class requires 10%). I don't want to go in there having gained any weight. I've got to knuckle down and get serious and pay attention to what the heck I'm doing!!

Thanks for posting this and for all of the responses. I KNOW it's not last meal or f' it time but I've got to keep that in my head. I'm so much closer to my goal now that I thought I would be, I don't want to sabotage myself.. again.

I'm so happy for you that your going to get banded next month! I hope everything goes well. Are they doing it here or do you have to go up north? Anyways, good luck and let us all know how it goes. btw, I finally get to go to the seminar tonight - it's been a long month and a half wait, but I'm excited that I finally get to start the process.

Take care!

I'm so happy for you that your going to get banded next month! I hope everything goes well. Are they doing it here or do you have to go up north? Anyways, good luck and let us all know how it goes. btw, I finally get to go to the seminar tonight - it's been a long month and a half wait, but I'm excited that I finally get to start the process.

Take care!

SG, they're doing it down here in Fresno! I was shocked when they called me. They wanted to do it the 28th but I couldn't manage it that fast. It's good that I couldn't schedule it b/c I now have bronchitis and would have had to cancel it!

I don't have a date yet b/c she didn't have the August schedule when I talked to her last Thursday. They were just trying to fill up the surgery times for the 28th and 29th. She said she'd call me when she got the August schedule but I'll call her every couple of day to see. I don't want to get passed over accidentally!

I think you'll like Peggy. She's our instructor. So, let's see... you'll have seminar tonight, then 2 weeks of Wed nights to catch up with the class then the following Thurs, you'll start class! That'll be the night that my seminar group graduates from class!

I'll definitely let everyone know when I get a surgery date!

There will be parts that go really fast and other times like nothing is happening except class. It's going to make you crazy if you let it. Just be patient and keep in contact with everyone.

Take care!

Hi.. I just joined 5 min. ago I've been over-weight most of my life, and I saw where we are close in age.. I've been thinking very serious about getting lap band but, the cheapest I've found is 11,900. I'm north of Houston... can I get help in finding cheaper place and moral support on at my age why do this now replies..... thanks

SG, they're doing it down here in Fresno! I was shocked when they called me. They wanted to do it the 28th but I couldn't manage it that fast. It's good that I couldn't schedule it b/c I now have bronchitis and would have had to cancel it!

I don't have a date yet b/c she didn't have the August schedule when I talked to her last Thursday. They were just trying to fill up the surgery times for the 28th and 29th. She said she'd call me when she got the August schedule but I'll call her every couple of day to see. I don't want to get passed over accidentally!

I think you'll like Peggy. She's our instructor. So, let's see... you'll have seminar tonight, then 2 weeks of Wed nights to catch up with the class then the following Thurs, you'll start class! That'll be the night that my seminar group graduates from class!

I'll definitely let everyone know when I get a surgery date!

There will be parts that go really fast and other times like nothing is happening except class. It's going to make you crazy if you let it. Just be patient and keep in contact with everyone.

Take care!

Thank you (yet again) for all the information you've given! With all your help about the Kaiser process, and all the research I've done about the different procedures, I felt it was very easy to follow what Peggy was saying during the siminar. Unfortunately, she still doesn't have a lot of information on Lap band as of yet. She did mention the new sergeon that has joined their team and the different proceedures he will be doing, and said that he will be starting surgeries next week. I thought of you then and realized that you would have been one of his first patients! It's still so awsome that you'll being having it next month!

You were right about Peggy, she is very nice and seems easy to talk to. I'm so stoked that I'm finally "starting" the process!

Well, I'm going to go eat dinner now. I hope your feeling better soon and that everything goes well with you. I know this probably isn't the right thread to keep in touch, so, if you ever want to talk (even it's anything other than Kaiser or Lapband!):biggrin2: then send me a private message or email or start a new thread.

Take care!

Try to keep in mind, there is virtually no "lasts". I can eat practically anything with my band. Just less of it. The only food for sure i know I can't have, is clams!! They're just too chewy!

Granted, with the pre- and post-op liquid & soft diets you won't be eating anything you love for awhile but it's temporary and it'll be over before you know it. Think of it this way - it's not an end, it's a beginning. No need for last meal syndrome :)

Hey, I am about 18 hours from arriving at the hospital for my surgery. I have been on Clear Liquids for 4 days.. I started it on Saturday.. Can I just say that I went into work on Saturday for 10 hours so I wouldn't be at my house staring at the kitchen cabinets, the refrigerator, and my freezer... I worked for 6 hours on Sunday.. It has honestly been the toughest thing I have done because I am the type of eater that wouldn't let myself really feel hungry. I ate according to the clock whether I was hungry or not. Saturday night my husband, stepson and I went out and I spotted a young, little thing eating a frito chili pie and can I just say it took everything in my power not to jump up and tackle her. Over the last 4 days I have realized a lot about my obsession/dependance on food and sometimes I feel like no one gets it but i know deep down that isn't true. I had the "last syndrome" also but when I am in the midst of this obsession I have to stop and say.. This is just food.. There has got to be something more important.. I will be able to eat better and feel better once i pay my dues.. haha what is two weeks post op compared to several years at a "normal" weight.. It is hard and it is scary because it is the complete unknown. Obviously I am the way I am because I couldn't manage to control how much I ate but I know that it is just a couple of days drinking liquids versus a heart attack or not being able to have babies with my husband.. that is what I have to remember to get me through the tough times but I think it is worth it.. You are not alone in the brain activity.. I promise!!!