Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newly Banded and Afraid of Dehydration

I was just banded two days ago and I am afraid of dehydration because I cant seem to get enough liquids in. I am supposed to drink about 46 oz. the first few days and I am only able to get in about half so far. I have been trying to sip all day plus a few popcicles but it doesnt add up to much and I feel so full. I was also supposed to start my Protein Drinks today but I have only drank about 4oz. of that. I am worried. Please help. Thanks, Tottie

I experienced the SAME THING! it's like that the first couple days,, you can only drink so much.. Your upper stomach is really irritated and swolen right now. DON'T FORCE anything,, just sip and you will be plenty hydrated. There is no EXACT amount of fluids everyone needs to be hydrated, trust me. As long as you are constantly sipping a little, you will be FINE :thumbdown:

GOOD LUCK! Don't freak out when the gas pains kick in.. take some gas-x strips. They help.

I am in the same spot you are. I am freaking out also. Trying to make sure I get the protien drinks going too. Also asking my self what have you done !!!!!!!!!!!! A freind of mine had the gastric pouch a few years ago and is telling me it's ok but still scared.

I guess we just have to try yo stay on the listings they gave us for menu's and do what we can. I was banded on Wednesday

Shaz

I am right there with you all too. I was banded Tuesday, and I am afraid of dehydration. I just can't make myself drink enough. I had looked forward to starting Protein supplements today, but I can't choke it down. I did have 4oz. of Carnation instant Breakfast, and it was delicious and seemed to give me some strength.

Hi

I recall not being able to get as much fluids as recommended in the early days. Just keep sipping as frequently as possible.

This may be TMI, but, check the color of your urine - if dark, then you must get in more! If normal amounts/light color, you're probably doing OK, especially if you're taking it easy and staying in cool areas.

Everybody has a different Fluid need, and I am NOT a big drinker. But, especially in warm weather, you do need to watch how you feel. (Such as getting light-headed, weak.) Some medications can make people prone to dehydration/heat exhaustion, so just be careful in hot weather!

Good luck - gradually you will be able to tolerate more as you heal.

I was also banded on Tuesday myself (7/15/08) and today I feel like I can get more liquids down than any other day. Also yesterday I started a food journal to track exactly how much I'm getting in so I'm not just guessing.

If you are becoming dehydrated you'll get a horific headache long before you'll get very far in being dehydrated. If you have just been banded, it's like being run over by a huge mac truck. Your pouch, stomach, areas around it are all swollen and trying to recover. It's major stuff. Sips of Water if you can. sleep on a wedge or at an angle or in a chair if you can. Be patient and baby your body. It is trying to recover from this and it will but it will take about 10 days. Call your doctor if this continues more than two or three days. People online are not your doctor and he can reassure you best! Good luck!

I was banded 8 days ago and I could only sip thin liquids for the first several days. I still cannot have anything too thick. Everyone is different and my doctor said some people swell more than others. You will be fine. Just continue to sip the liquids. I also thought I had made the biggest mistake of my life, but 8 days later I know it was just the emotions of everything that is going on and I am so glad I had this done. This site is great to hear from others and get the support you need. Hang in there you will be be eating solids before you know it and you won't even remember this part just the new you part.

I was in the same position right after surgery...I just could not get the Water down. It was about day 5 post-op when I could drink more. I'm still not getting 64 ounces of water a day. I just can't do it.

I also asked myself what the heck I did for the first few days. I felt like it was the biggest mistake ever. (It was my pain talking I think). Now, I am 100% HAPPY and wouldn't change a thing. I love my band!

Like everyone else said, just keep sipping, even if its small amounts at a time. Every sip counts!

Went thru the same thing here. I was banded June 4th and just couldn't get the liquids down...I did develop a UTI and then I had to force myself to drink.

I also said a hundred times "WHat in the WORLD was I thinking" after surgery. That lasted for about a week and then each day it got better. Hang in there...the worse is over.

I was banded a week ago today and had the same problem the first 3 days. Afterthat, I was fine. I can get most of my 2 protien shakes in and the rest of my fluids. I actually got hungry earlier this evening. Hang in there. It gets easier.

I'm so glad I read this ;)

I am having the same problem, I was just banded 7/16/08 and I can not get as much liquid as they want me too, I've started on my Protein today but I just feel so full that I dont want anymore ugh! I have had alot of gas for the past couple of days mostly burping so i'm not sure if i'm getting to much air when I drink (i'm not using straws) or if it is just the gas still in my system from surgery.

Good Luck to everyone!

i just had surgery on monday and the gas pains r killing me i walk all the time but nothing is really helping the funny thing is i am able to drink thin fluids and Soup w/o a problem the shakes r just 2 thick i scared i mite b drinking to fast just to get them in im not gulping but i was told it would take like 45 mins to finish a cup of soup or shake it doesnt take me that long do u think something is wrong? im a little nervous