Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Needing some advice

I am 4 days post op banding and I am not feeling really well. Everytime I drink I get this pain in the middle of my chest under my breast and I have to bend over to relieve it- then I burp and it kills me. Am I drinking to fast? Also, I am having alot of pain in my left shoulder and lower left side which does not allow me to breath in very deeply without extreme pain. The loratab elixer helps somewhat but from what I read with others they are feeling better by day 4. Am I doing something wrong. I am on soft mushy foods and liquids ie: sugar free pudding, popsicles, mushy mashed potatoes. I use a heating pad for the pain in my shoulder and lower left side which helps a little bit. I am taking gas-x and that doesn't help at all. Could it be because I am not taking nexium anymore? My doc took me off it the day of surgery. I am sorry for all the questions but I am very lost right now and need you guys help.

I had alot of shoulder pain also. Are you sure it is time for you to be on your mushie stage. I was on Clear Liquids a week, then full liquids a week and then the third week I could slowly introduce mushies. I also got pain when I drank too fast because it trapped addl air which was painful to burp. One thing I do know if you move through your stages too fast it will hurt you in the long run so take slow.... Each day will get better.

i was on full liquids right away but no mushies for 2 weeks... dont worry about not feeling great i didnt feel good for almost 2 weeks... i remember the not being able to take a deep breath ... it was very painful and frustrating... it does get better every day... i am 4 weeks now and i feel great.. i would stay away from the mushies for a little while have some Tomato Soup or yogurt but not the mashed potatoes

Listen to your body tell you to stick to liquids. You don't have to do clear liquids, do full liquids such as thinned cream Soups, thinned smoothies, really anything you could suck through a straw even though you don't have to eat it that way. And slow down on the sips. It sounds like you are still dealing with internal swelling (I promise I know ALL about this!) so slow down! It's not about weight loss, it's about healing. I got into the habit for a while of taking a sip, then swallowing the sip in 2-3 swallows. That helped me to keep just the tiniest bit going down at once.

If I were you, I'd hit the Nexium again, just crush it and wash it through well. I'm no doc though, so maybe check with your doc on that one.

The shoulder pain takes longer than 4 days, so keep at it with the heating pad and walking, walking, walking.

Also, if you are going to eat the pudding, eat a small bite and swish it and liquify it alot in your mouth before swallowing even smaller amounts, just a little at a time. Sounds like you really need to slow down...

I promise, it isn't like this forever. Listen to your body.

Sherita, the shoulder pain is from the gas they pump inside of us during the banding. They kind of make a "tent" so they can work in there. It does pass (no pun intended), I promise. It lasted a while for me too. My doctor had me take advil liquigels when the pain got very bad and it helped. Some Doc's don't let you take Advil at all, but mine says a couple of times a month is o.k. Check w/your doc before taking anything.

SHerita, the shoulder pain is trapped gas from surgery, when surgery is done laproscopically they use Co2 to blow you up, it then settles in your shoulders and stomach. I was fortunate to not get the shoulder pain but had the gas in my stomach, walking helps alot. The pain from burping is also gasthat is trapped in your diaphram and it is paiful becasue of the swelling caused from surgery when they placed the band. I had this pain also. I could not burp though I had the pain under my breast, my doctor told me exactly what Iam telling you.

Every doctor has different post op instructions, It is odd to see you on mushy foods only 4 days post op, I was not on mushy foods until 4 weeks post op.

Everyday will get better as the swelling goes down, I do not thin kyou are doing anything wrong but if it were me I would still be focusing more on liquids then mushy foods 4 days post op. Just take it slow & hang in there. this is just a small bump in the road to a new happier , healthier more beautiful you :)

Guest rritter18

Sherita,

I had the exact problem, I am alomost a month post op and still not feeling 100%. Not to depress you but it takes time. I used phazyme and baby mylicon drops. It helped a little but not enough! I ended up in the ER becasue the gas pains we so bad. It did get better in the 2nd week, Call your surgeon mine gave me a tablet to take twice a day that helped a lot.

Ryanne

Im a little over 3 weeks out... and I barely started to REALLY feel better.. like myself..... you know... it really takes time Please just let yourself heal. and dont take the Nexium you probably wont need it.. and its non effective if you crush it.. or break open the pill. I use to get heart burn 4-5 times a day and now after surgery I have NOT had heart burn. I love it!!! Walk and just take care okay!! you will pull thourgh this!

I really want to commend all of you for your replies. If it weren't for this support group, I do not know how anyone would get by. In all honesty, the doctors offices are so saturated with patients that they seem to forget the ones who just had it done and all the questions and problems we go through. I am in no way cutting them down because they are doing a wonderful service to us- it's just sometimes they are just sooo busy. I would love to meet everyone, however I live in Spring and its hard to get on the other side of town for meetings. Is there any other places to meet? Again, thank all of you for the words of incouragement and hope. I don't even know you personally but I love ya'll. God bless each and every one of you.....

Sherri