Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Some Ideas to Help Support a Friend

I have a friend who will be having lap band surgery. I would like to send her a gift that will reflect my support and my admiration for her decision to take control of her health and well being. However, I'm totally at a loss. Every time I think of something, I find myself wondering if the gift is inappropriate. For example, I thought a subscription to a magazine (possibly something like Cooking Light or Shape) might be a good idea, but then I think it could be perceived as condescending. I was also thinking about sending her a bunch of different types of gum, but then I read the posts about chewing gum being a little risky. She isn't the type of gal that would be thrilled with the standard flower/plant/get well soon gift. Plus, I would like to give her something useful to help her through what I'm sure is going to be a long journey.

If anyone can help me with some ideas, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you!:biggrin2:

Guest Leslie2Lose

I actually love Women's Health - it isn't focused on losing weight. It is more about getting healthy. I'm now addicited. I'm constantly browsing the shelves for the newest edition. I haven't taken the time to subscribe to it myself. I need to do that!

You could get her a gift card to a nice department store. Once the weight starts slipping she'll be needing new clothes.

A manicure/pedicare is nice too - you can use it at any time...it always makes me feel better to be pampered.

I'm glad to hear from someone that is being supportive. Being banded isn't always easy - it's a tough journey. She'll have ups and downs and will need your support. What a good friend.

That's so nice of you!! I like the Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies book. It has a lot of info and I think it's thoughtfulfor someone that has had or is having any WLS. I got it for someone getting the LB surgery this fall and they love it. Gift cards are ALWAYS great!! I'm sure she'll appreciate anything from you since you're so thoughtful!!! :blush:

Here are some thoughts...

• I like the cookbook: Eating Well After Weight Loss Surgery. Here is a link: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Eating-Well-After-Weight-Surgery/dp/1569244537/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1216243611&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Eating Well After Weight Loss Surgery: Over 140 Delicious Low-Fat High-Protein recipes to Enjoy in the Weeks, Months and Years After Surgery: Patt Levine, Michele Bontmpo-Saray, William B. Inabnet, Meredith Urban-Skuros: Books[/ame]
  • check out the online store for other ideas at: SHOP
  • My best friend got me the baby buddha bowls. I had given her the full size buddha bowls for Christmas, and she loved them. The baby bowl holds the perfect amount for me post-surgery. Here is a link: Peaceful Company - Detail
  • I have been thinking about ordering Cooking Light for myself, so I think that's a great idea. Every month when she gets it she will remember that you are there supporting her.

You are a great friend, and she will need you during this time! Don't be surprised if she gets a little self-absorbed. I know I have, but I think it's because I'm finally putting focus on myself.

Aw! I love the Baby Buddha bowls!

I think a gift card to a clothing store is a good idea too. I don't know what I'm going to do when my clothing doesn't fit anymore and I have go buy all new stuff!

You're a wonderful friend!

There is a WLS magazine which I found but I did not mark the site. I will see if I can find it again. It looked great with recipes, stories, tips and everything imaginable for "us".

Anne

Weight Loss Surgery with the Adjustable Gastric Band.

Mindless Eating. These 2 books are great. The more you learn, the more you learn what you have to learn. Weight loss goes everywhere into everything Like dental care, sleep, drugs & life modifications. Take or go with your friend to meetings. Buy her half an hour with weight loss shrink. Read 1st book yourself, it will tell you everything you need to know about successful weight loss. Good luck. Hasta Pronto, George:thumbs_up::eek::blush:

Hi:

I set up a kitchen cabinet with alot of stuff that is only for me to use. In that cabinet I have a bunch of very small tupperware containers and some small pyrex bowls. In addition, I have some baby spoons and some one-minute egg timers. All of these things have helped me to lower the volume of bites and the timer helps me to slow down when eating.

If you want to go the post-surgery route, your friend may need some gauze bandages, liquid tylenol, chewable multi-vitamins, and some kind of scar fading/reducing cream. If she starts to massage her scars as soon as they start to heal she may end up with a better result.

I wish I'd had a friend that was as thoughtful as you are. Nice, very nice!

Best wishes to your friend for a successful lap band journey.

Sue