Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you fit the calories in??

I'm a little confused!!!

I understand that when you're filled correctly it'll stop you eating too much but what happens when you can only eat a cup of food at each meal.

How then do you get in enough calories to promote weightloss??

Cos aren't we meant to be on more than 1000 a day to be able to lose weight??

Then they tell you 3 meals a day and no snacking.....but that means 2 300 calorie meals and a 400 calorie meal.....

400 calories makes a meal bigger than a cup doesn't it???

I'm confusing myself even more now lol

Amanda!!

:tongue_smilie:

Well, I'm not sure. Personally I'm not so concerned with getting 1000 calories in, in fact if I go over 1000 I panic. I asked about calories at my fill yesterday and she said not to be so concerned with counting calories as being sure I get my minimum Proteins in. I am to eat 5 to 6 times a day about 2.5 to 3 hours a part and 4 oz at a time, she told me that was more important. And 90% of each meal is to be solid proteins. I know there's many different opinions from different docs etc. out there but that is what I go by. Now that's not to say I don't still go to mydailyplate and log my food choices there and see the calories, but I do watch the Protein more.

I was only getting about 500 a day in. Then I started splurging on more "quetionable" food. Like cheese on my refritos and such. It really does make the difference. I feel fine after exercising if I have above 700 calories. Now I am averaging 865 calories a day, which is perfect for me. I will consult my nutritionist in 3 weeks though.

Maybe you should too.

I was wondering the same thing today! Glad you asked this!! I'm gonna put a call in to my nut tomorrow and see what she says.

I dont know, I dont have any trouble and I'm a 3 meal a day eater.

I might have Cereal with some sliced banana for Breakfast - and generally that means muesli which is higher calorie (and also higher Protein, lower GI, better carbs), so that might be 300 calories for Breakfast. lunch will usually be some sort of sandwich (I cant eat the WHOLE thing) and it will usually include fillings like avocado and tuna for the good fats so that adds up, if I eat half of that, its probably 300 calories again. An hour or so later I will have some fruit - maybe 100 calories again. Mid morning I'd usually have a latte or cappucino, a skim milk small size is about 100 calories - so I'm already up to 800 calories. dinner will nearly always include a glass of wine, maybe 150, and if I allow about 400 for dinner, sometimes more depending on what it is and about 150 a day for skim milk for tea and coffee, it really only takes a bite or two of something mid afternoon and I'm up to 1500.

I dont know, I'm not that tight. I've had a small unfill recently becuase to me, to be limited to half a cup serving sizes means I"m having discomfort with EVERYTHING I eat. To not have discomfort, to be able to eat mostly everything, means my meal size is more like a cup of food. Which is fine by me, since calorie wise it suits my body and I lost easily and am maintaining easily on that.

Yes, I get hungry in between meals, and yes, being able to eat like that means that I can also eat things I'd be better off not eating - like pizza. That's where a bit of self control comes in - I usually just dont eat those things and if I'm a bit hungry, I either eat something small (dont have to worry bout that now I'm maintaining) or I just wait till meal time and have a cuppa instead.

So in short, three half cups a day to me means starving yourself and I think its a ridiculously small amount of food. I certainly couldnt live on it. But I've never had to. I've been able to eat quite a bit more and lose weight so I dont even look for that kind of restriction.

If your body demands that few calories before you lose, then its another story I guess, and a bit of a trade off between long term nutrition and healthy body weight.

I highly recommend you discuss your Protein and calorie intake with your nutritionist and not base on others practices. Your protein needs are determined by your ideal body weight. Based on my weight, it is 73 grams per day and calories around 800-1,000. My nutrionist said not to get too hung up on calories and to focus on getting all of the protein in. And as mentioned by someone elseagain, Protein should always be the first choice.

Now with that said, lets just say I have not been doing a very good job. Right now I am eating way too much. So happy my first fill is tomorrow.