Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What I mean is I have no time, what so ever to go walking, or exercising. I just took on a part time, along with my full time job. And I have a 2 year old. What am I to do? I cant balance out my schedule, and Im too tired to do anything else. So, any suggestions. I have to be up at 6am, I go to bed at 9 or 10pm, my part time, is on friday and sat 11pm to 7am. but this week and next Im working evenings. Uggh. I havent been to the gym in 3 weeks, I feel horrible. I have no one to watch my little girl so it makes it that much harder. Any suggestions? My doc says I HAVE to walk 40 mins a day, every day. How? I see him next wednesday for my first fill. Hes going to know, I havent been doing it. I feel horrible. :cursing:

I was told about the 1-2-3 rule in my support group meeting, which can be helpful. If you don't have a large amount of time to exercise, then you can:

1. Take 1 30 minute walks

2. Take 2 15 minute walks

3. Take 3 10 minute walks

They say it counts to break up the exercise if you can't do it all at once.

I have the same problem. I work 50 hours a week and am a graduate student working on my masters and a mother to boot. At first I never exercised because I couldnt figure out when to do it (i have to sleep sometime you know).

Anyways, I eventually found a way to work in at least 30 minutes daily and I am so much better for it. I have a membership at the YMCA and they provide childcare as well. If you have a local YMCA, that might be the ticket for you as well since your 2 year old can play while you are working on getting healthy.

I found that at first it was a pain in the you know what, but now I am very happy for it. The exercise burns off my stress, puts me in a better mood and gives me more energy. It was worth the 30-60 minutes daily because I am a happier person for it. It puts a break in the drudgery of an all too hectic schedule and I know that it is "me" time. Now I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Wow - kudos to you first of all for trying to keep up with all that! The only suggestions I can think of right now is to break your walking requirements down. Instead of looking at it as having to fit in one 40 minute chunk of walking time, try breaking it down to two 20 minute walks, or even four 10 minute walks.

I drag my sister walking with me, and to get her to do, because she is "parent". (That is her excuse all the time why she doesn't/can't do anything) She puts my nephew in the carriage and we walk.

What kind of job do you have? Are you on your feet most of the day or are you sitting? Walking is said to be cumulative, so maybe get a pedometer and keep up with all your steps. You may find that you are walking more than you think, just not all at once. Perhaps park further out when going to work or shopping. Or maybe one of those little portable steppers that you can use while cooking, washing dishes, folding clothes, etc....

I need to start walking too. I did the first few days after surgery to help get rid of that gassy bloating feeling but I do need to make a habit of it. I work nights and my kids are much older, so I have no real reason not to do so other than just being lazy.

I will start working day shift hours starting in mid-August and I am also thinking of getting a part-time job so that I don't have much time to sit around getting bored and resorting to eating. That is what has gotten me in trouble in the first place.

Good luck in figuring it out. And congrats on the weight loss you have had so far. You're doing great.

Edited by smarquezrn

Can you take your daughter for a walk, the two of you can walk to a playground, and while she is on the swings you can push her while marching in place.

Leslie - I feel I'm in the same boat even 3 years out. I have a 4 year old son and a dh with the apparent mentality of a 4 year old, a full time job and a part time job. Even with both jobs times have been so tight what little "free" time I have is usually spent "couponing" so I can afford the next tank of gas or gallong of milk.

I do manage to get away from the house once a week to walk with a friend and another 2 times a month for a local band support group and our neighborhood association group that I'm on the board until the end of the year. That adds up to a whopping 6 nights a month I get out of the house and its like pulling teeth just to get those. My DH is always complaining I need to spend more time at home.

But still in some ways I still feels like I'm just spouting one big set of excuses.

I think I'm going to try and take some of the others advice and do the multiple 10 minute walks (maybe 5 minute walks) even if its just around the house. I use to play "pacman" with my son around the house which consisted of him shouting out that he was different color ghosts, whenever he was blue I was to chase him and ofcourse just before I'd catch him he would turn green or red and then start chasing me. He loved it and it was a great mini-workout for me. I just need to start doing it again and make it a daily event.

There really is no easy answer, but unfortunately it must all get done! I feel some of the best options would be to either break up the walks into 10-12 minutes at a time or take the baby in a carriage. Other than that, you can buy or rent workout DVDs that can be just as or more beneficial than walking. Also, I don't know how tight money is for you right now, but you can get a treadmill to walk at home while your child plays along side of you/watches TV. Depending on your budget, you get one at Walmart for as low as $129, or get a better quality one for more (elsewhere or at Walmart). As long as it gets the job done. They even have the ones that the bottom folds up to keep it out of the way. I hope you find a solution!

Back to excuses here I know but I have a treadmill. Very nice one infact. Only if I use it when he is awake he throws downright tantrums if he can't get on or if I'm not watching tries to sneak on which leaves me feeling like a both a bad mother for yelling at him and a nervous wreck that I'll hurt him at the same time. Alternately, if I get on when he is asleep its noisy enough it wakes him up every time.

DH wants me to just sell it but I'm still hopefull that I can get to a point that I can use it with or without the son in the room.